What is a good ATC replacement software for MSFS 2020?

And if people inject and have better knowledge than me…then thats even better, we are all on a learning curve

2 Likes

Thanks guys for all your help and information…:slight_smile:

Oh , One more question , How much is Pilot2ATC?

Think about £50

1 Like

I just bought pilot2atc this morning, so I’m no expert or anything, but it seems very thorough. There is definitely a lot to learn, but it seems set up very well for learning, not just for simulating ATC. It uses voice recogition, so you just talk to it like you would a person on the other end. I’m hoping to get on one of the live people ATC servers in the future, but I’m also not the most outgoing person, so practicing by talking to the computer seems like a great way to learn.

Good luck.

3 Likes

I second Pilot2ATC for IFR. for VFR I just use the default as its ok for that, unless you want all the VFR stuff.

1 Like

Note that if you prefer, VATSIM doesn’t require using voice to communicate with the controllers. Text is perfectly acceptable.

1 Like

Vatsim is awesome. They offer free pilot training as well!

2 Likes

The downside to Pilot2 ATC is you get only 2 voices. PF3 has over a hundred voices. Makes a big difference.

Very true, but I have payed for voices fotpilot2ATC…VERY EXPENSIVE, also radio chatter…I like PF3 depends what mood I am in I find pilot2atc easier to programe

Also MCE works well with pf3

Does PF3 allow you to not specify an approach in your flight plan and have that assigned by ATC upon your arrival at the destination?

You tell ATC before the flight that you want a Star, and then you can fly any approach your want.

VATSIM user since 2009 and love it. As commented before you don’t need to use a mic if you don’t want to or can’t.

1 Like

Let’s hope they do better than SU3 which was supposed to address the Garmin issues.

1 Like

Actually, I couldn’t care less about phraseology since I’m quite ignorant on the matter. :blush:
It’s the insane instructions you get more often than not during descent and approach.

Jorg did hint at something involving a third party which intrigued be, but of course a vastly improved ATC AI is not something you conjure up overnight.

I’m not a pilot, so I’m ok with the phraseology as well. I’m not that ■■■■ about it. As long as they give me clear, executable instructions, I’m ok with it. I’m always up for improvement for realism, but I’m not that picky.

Since Vatsim are one of their “partners”, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more direct Vatsim integration into MSFS actually. Of course, I’m speculating here, but I could see them incoporating the vatsim client into MSFS to make using Vatsim easier. And it would make sense for the XBOX version, as there’s no way to run 3rd party software on the XBOX.

1 Like

Pilot2ATC gives you the exact words to reply, and you can either reply or have your copilot reply for you.

I have mine setup so my copilot tunes the radios while I speak. But I also mapped the “Say it” button to my stick so if I don’t understand, I can push it once and my copilot replies it without taking over voice comms. But when I’m in a complex approach, I have him take over booth frequencies and voice comms until I’ve landed, then I take over voice. For some reason, he always fails to report “clear of active” after I’ve exited the runway, so I have to do that myself.

Trust me, I’ve only done this like 10 times, and it’s easy easier than I imagined.

Hmm… that’s not very good then. Proper simulation would have the ATC assign a runway and approach via a STAR on arrival into their airspace. IRL, you don’t just fly whatever approach you want. Even the MSFS ATC can do this… although its not great.

1 Like

I use Pilot2ATC since I’m too shy for VATSIM. It does cost, but it’s worth it in my opinion. It’s extremely customizable, which means it does have a learning curve. Here’s how I use it:

I use ATC Chatter, which also costs, but it adds real ATC background communication.

I have Pilot2ATC assign the active runways, SIDs, STARs, and Approaches as it deems necessary.

I have my “copilot” control the radio frequency and respond to ATC, (repeat what they say) however, I talk to ATC for all other communication. (I have the PTT (push to talk) button mapped to the PTT button on my Bravo yoke)

I have around 10 english voices that I downloaded for free directly from windows. Windows has 2 installed by default, but there’s a lot more available. There’s a very helpful YouTube video explaining how to do that. I’ll find it and link it if anyone wants it. You can also buy voices for Pilot2ATC, but there’s no reason to.

If you have any questions about Pilot2ATC, I’m happy to help.