What is the DC-6 like

After the last 5 or so months flying the BAe and really enjoying the old school VOR flying…

I’m really considering getting the DC-6… Like literally considering buying it!!
Is it a good purshase? Any issues with it or is it as good as what some youtubers are saying…

It’s one of my favorite addons for the sim. It requires constant attention and is a joy to hand fly. You can also hand over certain duties to an automated FO, but I’ve never used it so I can’t comment on how it works. I haven’t tried it in SU10 yet but from what I’ve read the performance issue has been resolved.

1 Like

it’s awesome. It did suffer performance issues in the cockpit for some people (I wasn’t one of them) but I believe SU10 has fixed that. Be advised though, there is a LOT of learning involved if you want to fly this bird. so many systems to keep an eye on and it can be a bit of a headache trying to juggle them all. I find that I always need to be tweaking some control or other to keep it flying at it’s optimum level, hence the learning curve. But the learning is part of the fun.

It also has a virtual first officer built into the tablet that can manage most of the systems for you, and it will hold your hand as you learn to fly it yourself. Overall it’s a great aeroplane to have in your hangar and I can’t recommend it enough.

1 Like

Well, i love it because it scares the ■■■■ out of me with the “what am i doing wrong now” question i keep asking myself as things pop up here and there. (engine management being one of them)… but that doesn’t stop me from flying it. It’s VERY rewarding, and also takes quite a bit of learning to treat her well, and takeoff’s and landings are alot flatter then what yer used to.

It’s good. If yer hovering over that buy now-button… do it. You’ll love it.
I’m jumping in between the 737, the 146 and the DC-6, and a couple of vintage taildraggers.

Don’t be too afraid of the complexity others have mentioned. The plane comes with an AFE (automated flight engineer), so it’s actually pretty easy to get up and running / flying. As you get more comfortable with the aircraft, you can start taking over more and more tasks from the AFE if you want, or you can continue using it, all up to you.

It’s an amazing aircraft, and I love it to bits.

PMDG’s done a great tutorial series on it as well, so check that out if you’re at all interested;

1 Like

The best aircraft in the sim in my opinion. Modern airliners are way too automated and the old DC-6 keeps you on your toes during the whole flight when navigating between VOR:s and ADF:s. The gyropilot takes away some workload without letting you go to sleep like the modern autopilots. Just make sure to use the old radios and not the GNS430.

2 Likes

It’s excellent! You can fly it solo and have it be as complex as it gets, or you can just let the virtual flight officer do all the work, while you only worry about taking off, pointing the bird in the right direction and landing it like you would in a Cub. A very large and very heavy Cub. :wink:

With NanoVG gauge rendering enabled by default in SU10 the performance is excellent, especially for such a complex aircraft. They even fixed the too larged digits on the radio that were a problem with NanoVG in developer mode.

The graphics and sounds of this aircraft are near perfect. If you have any interest in vintage passenger/cargo aircraft with radial engines whatsoever, the DC-6 is a must-have.

It’s excellent and a must-have, no matter what other aircraft you own (old school or not).

It’s great but the engine Startups ain’t very realistic they fire up perfectly everytime no coughing or spluttering or misssfires etc I really hope they can add some more realism to the startup :crossed_fingers:

I would guess it’s pretty hard to program misfires and coughing. Like what causes an engine to misfire and cough? If they just program random misfires and coughing to the engine start it’s not very realistic either.

You can do it behind the scenes I imagine, I did it with the spitfire by manipulating the mags within the startup sequence on spad next managed to get it popping and spluttering quite a bit sounded great just added some more realism than the polished start-up the 6 has.

:ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

The PMDG DC-6 is just outstanding. It was all I flew for months. Every time I return to it now, it’s like driving your favorite old-school automobile. I have it set up for radios only: no GPS.

It’s one of the best releases for MSFS… you will enjoy it tremendously.

4 Likes

It is a must-have really. There is no other aircraft out there that makes it so easy to “fly first, learn later” because you can have your AFE take care of everything but the flying for you to start with. You can then dial back what the AFE does as you learn to take over tasks. It is quite the entertaining module.

it is a very good plane and well simulated, but if you are wrong … it does not forgive!

It´s an outstanding plane, one of the best study-level airplanes on the market.
It´s complex and superb animated and absolute fantastic!

And it´s a perfect plane to really immerse yourself and dive into, watch hours of YouTube videos and YouTube flights.

There is only one negative aspect of this plane: It has no autoland, and not autothrust, and if you ever manage to “land” this beast (land, not crash :wink: ) you can consider yourself the grandmaster of aviators.

It is still flown by some Alaskan and Canadian airlines.
I don´t fly it very often - not because of the complexity, the more complex and ultra-study-level the better, and there are instruments literally everywhere: above you on the side panels on the cockpit panel everywhere.
PERFECT!
But… once in the air I unfortunately cannot land it, so good luck trying to do so.

So I shall! :sunglasses:

Didn’t find it particularly hard, to be honest. Then again, I’ve had plenty of practice with the A2A Stratrocruiser which handles very similarly to this one. :wink:

1 Like

Dated, is probably a good description - both the original aircraft and the model ( it still looks nice, not denying that ). The performance issue with the cockpit we have to use a dev-mode workround for has been there for at least a year with no apparent attempt at fixing it, so they won’t get any more money from me.

Other than the annoyingly specific startup, the beast is good fun to fly & can be as involving as you want. The Boeing 247 makes it look easy, but if you’re coming from a modern tubeliner you’ll definitely be in at the deep end… fortunately there’s an engineer to do a lot of work for you if you want. Do yourself a favour & throw the GPS out.

There are a number of issues with the “Six” that have cropped up recently and with no input from PMDG regarding their plans for fixing them.

Sure, they have been busy on the 737 series, but then they will be busy on the 7XX series, etc.

My hope is they were(are) waiting on this whole Xbox WASM implementation to become available to them so they can address all the possible issues for their rerelease on the Marketplace for Xbox.

Again, my hope…

1 Like

Not anymore. That workaround is now the default rendering mode with SU10. Perfect performance outside of dev mode. No fix required from here on out.

And “dated” ? Please… The DC-6 still looks better than most of the latest releases for MSFS. That’s not my definition of “dated”.

2 Likes