What is the purpose of Press any Key to continue?

Not a bug - but a question. Does anyone know why they have ‘Press any key’ when the game loads. It seems like a waste of time. The game takes a while to load initially, so inevitably I go grab a drink, or watch a video. When I come back, I have to press a key, after which it then takes even longer to load.

I’m just wondering if there is a reason for it.

Its not like we have any option to cancel or quit. We have to press a key. So why show it at all?

Just a thought - not a rant.

58 Likes

I 100% agree with this, it is annoying and makes me maximize the game twice just to get in, while I could just click on “play” and come back 2 min later to find it ready to fly.

5 Likes

It seems counterproductive to have that function. I have occasionally started the game and wondered off to grab a coffee, only to return to find it hadn’t loaded beyond the press any key point. :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

Even the SDK can’t get around that. It has an executable that skips those initial movies, but it dumps you at the “Press any key” screen still. I honestly think it is there simply as an attract screen, playing that video. Incidentally, I already tried replacing that MP4 with a zero length file. It just sits on a black screen waiting for you to press a key.

4 Likes

Ahh that’s interesting thanks for that. So it could be just to ensure we watch the video. That’s a bit silly on their part of that’s the case. It should ideally be an option to skip it, or even better, load the game whilst playing the video.

I would raise on Zendesk, but its minor and they have bigger issues right now.

2 Likes

I agree. No problems with the splash screens or videos playing as long as they only play while the sim is loading and don’t make it take any longer, but for that "Press any key … " should go ASAP.

I don’t have and “Any” key to press so I still haven’t played it :rofl:

8 Likes

Very good question. Maybe it’s there to force the user bring the focus to the main window at a particular moment while loading the sim. We all know that there are still issues depending on which window the user places control on, such as zoom, pop out windows etc.

1 Like

Its there so you have to watch all these cool logos and waste your time :woozy_face:

Similar like gta v, loads whole day but ssd is reading 4% :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Dead giveaway that this game has been developed for console port in mind

9 Likes

I was wondering too… they could at least have done all the loading before that part. I hope somebody will change this behavior at some point.

1 Like

Best guess is to ensure there is at least 1 active input device before starting some thread that processes inputs.

From a user perspective if you’ve just plugged in a new device it is an opportunity to see it is recognized. Seems that mouse, keyboard , HOTAS, xbox controller clicks work. Panels should behave in the same manner.

Certainly a console thing, be nice if they got rid of that on PC.

9 Likes

I guess the purpose is that you DON’T go away and look their intro videos.
Other than that I cannot see a point (and even this point is presumably just a ‘marketing’-trick)

1 Like

The “Any” Key is hidden under the space bar … Just take it away and start playing :rofl:

1 Like

It has nothing to do with a console.

1 Like

Ok.

2 Likes

To make sure that there is a person behind the joystick, so they dont start to use server capacity for just a game opened although the player is cooking the diner? Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

It still has nothing to do with a console… The version check is done on start and branches to the XBOX version. This “Press any key” screen has nothing to do with the console version or comming to console.

1 Like

I agree completely. Hope that they will remove this step or if unavoidable they put it at the end of the loading process without stopping it in the middle.
There should be a valid reason, but probably can be done without forcing users to keep staring at the screen for all the loading process just to hit a key during the setup, that in my opinion has a reasonable lenght considering how many parts it has to load and set, but you can do something else in the meanwhile (eg. study the maps or the plan, review procedures, or drink a coffee!

1 Like

I disagree. If you read the linked posts that were provided it does seem as though its a carry over from console development to determine what controller is being used as player 1. And/Or to provide a base loading screen to memory for when the console goes to sleep due to inactivity while playing the game.

1 Like