What is the purpose of Press any Key to continue?

What on earth does the version check have to do with it… You know when your playing a cross platform, soon to be cross platform or a console port as the “Press any key to start” is the first sign - you don’t get it on PC exclusives… It isn’t a problem just with the loading times would be nice to not have it but meh i cant says it affects my life, its pretty well documented on the internet though and anyone who plays a lot of video games will know…

Consoles don’t really have the same quit function as PC games do; and sometimes, people leave them on the “ press start ” screen when no one is using them (for example, at parties, or owners of stores). It’s easier not to have to rewrite the entire game code to get rid of it for the PC version.

It is designed as an input test. No, it’s not necessary on PC, but on consoles Microsoft, Sony, and maybe Nintendo require it so that the player can tell if their controller is on.

Hey all,

Anyone else feel when you load a PC game and it asks you to ‘press any key to continue’ or ‘click to continue’ before it gets to the main screen, that you are in for a console port that hasn’t even been personalised for the pc?

I get why consoles do it, from things like certification, requirements to a way to detect what controller is in use etc but its just unnecessary and bad user experience on the PC

You know what they say about the internet and opinions lets just agree to disagree.

-EDIT- dont ask me why that one line has gone huge and bold, no idea.

1 Like

Maybe that it is done for keeping the same interface also for the console, or for the reason you said. But why put it before an even longer wait ? In my opinion is not bad that, after a long phase of setup of whatever, the system goes in a sort of suspension waiting for the user to be ready to start instead of running uslessly at full power when no one is in front of the screen (as I normally am during a long setup, I have always something else to do, perheaps cross words or everything else).

1 Like

Yeah basically - its just generally not worth the effort to code out for one platform and it would also affect patch builds. People usually don’t care i guess the only reason they do in this case is the GTA Online level loading times - people wanna start the game and go make a coffee have it all ready to go when they come back which is understandable. Not a huge issue but would be a nice quality of life.

As for the full GPU load on the menu that really does need looking at. Simmer generally have that open a lot and if your taking an hour or so break you’re going to just leave the game open with the current load times…throttling the system like that sat on the menu is genuinely going to decrease the lifespan of peoples hardware and needs addressing. Maybe have it throttle on the world map if needed i can see it MIGHT need to do that? But not on the main menu.

3 Likes

It might be exactly this. The sim does not start actively streaming session content from the server until after the “any key” press. Perhaps a means to insure that server resources will not be used prematurely for a computer where the user has started the game, and then walked away with the intention of coming back later to actually begin play.

In my case, I click on it and wonder off, only to come back once it’s all loaded in.

On pc this could be for input initialisation also, who knows what the sim checks and does in the background? We already know a console version is made, but this is not the reason for the message!

This basically. Wait for that, press the “any” key and go get your coffee afterwards.
Would be nice though to have an additional “quit to desktop” option. So it would make a bit more sense. For the case you forgot to fire up other apps for instance that wouldn’t be registered by the sim if started when the game’s already running

1 Like

It’s pointless, needs removing.

They should replace it with “Insert Coin”

3 Likes

Inset 2nd graphics card to continue :smiley:

1 Like

Urgh, im gonna bite only because im curious. Every other game has this “press any key to continue” to verify they have a controller plugged in as its their only input method on a console - or because its been left over from a console port and not removed. You however keep saying “Its not because of console”, you seem so sure of it but so i guess my question is - why do you think this isn’t because of consoles when every single other game on the market that has this “feature” is either because its a console port or cross platform game? Why is this game the 1 exception?

If you change the option to show the… i forget what the option is called… but it looked like it’s a choice in the settings to display those opening scenes or not. Does that have any effect?

Nah, that’s just for the preflight scene

Could you just use a program like auto keyboard clicker, and run it like a batch file, so that when FlightSimulator.exe.starts, run auto keyboard clicker which will click any key you record in a script? There must be a way around this USELESS action

1 Like

I have another point of view on the feature too. I find it builds up a bit of drama and sets the scene, so to speak. It shows a bit of perspective of where you are, from a couple angles. It builds up a brief moment of anticipation as if you’re just getting into your plane.

Hi Not sure but I think you should have a look at your internet capacity (Hope you will understand what I mean as being French my English is not on top). As far as I’m concerned it takes me 1’40/45
to get it all opened including the second part after pushing any key.

And you know this how? Every single game that has this “Press a Key” screen is either a console port or cross platform game. Why is it that you “know” its not for that reason in this game?

The entire GUI is an over-elaborate self-indulgence on the part of the developer. It could have been just as elegant with half the faffing about, but these days they can’t help themselves. Over-designed GUIs are, I’m afraid, here to stay. They could at least give an option to drop the nonsense and just go with a simple, clean text-based GUI.

2 Likes

Is there anyway to also skip the videos? Maybe there is a command line argument or something? The loading takes forever. It would be nice to save a minute of loading times.

Agree to a point, but they could make the loading happen whilst showing the video.