What is the purpose of Press any Key to continue?

MS, please remove Press any Key to continue? screen and add possibility to skip both 2 videos about your partners before game is loaded, because when I was seen it for 150x, I´m really crazy from that. MSFS2020 is slow as hell to load it into menu, so each next video or screen is very bad idea. Is there someone that want it too??? Thank you.

That is pretty common in lots of games you have to press any key to continue. If you are having issues with this procedure just wait for the music to start then press any key.

My goodness. What harm could come from clicking on a game and letting it load to the main menu on PC? “Pressing any key to continue” is a strange message to begin with. There are no other choices. If it said “Press any key to continue, or ESC to exit”, maybe I would understand. Surely this is console related.

2 Likes

It is not just a ‘console’ thing. I have come across this on PC exclusives too. Chill people - pressing a button does not rob you of the essence of life and you will be fine. It does not load you direct to airfield anyways and many clicks await.

And even if my perceived PC exclusives had plans for consoles or IF it is definitely console related… Just really - it’s a fight worth loosing for many reasons.

It just sounds like we ran out of stuff to complain about and are now just looking for stuff to nitpick on.

Also, I see absolutely nothing wrong - in fact, I welcome MSFS being available on consoles and hopefully expanding this niche community to more people who will hopefully replace us and be better, less toxic and bickery than us one day. Just look around these forums - so much hate, so much anger - just go for a walk instead if you are so discombobulated about a software release - it will do you a lot more good than finding an echo-chamber where like-minded individuals can b**ch together in a circle.

It’s like you like arguing and painting everything black when there are sane-ish voices saying just have patience and see positives - no flight sim release had everything we ever wanted. But that’s for another conversation where someone else is moaning about something else unrelated to ‘oh gosh, I have to click a mouse on loading screen - my hands will fall off’ thread. I bet if we all left, threads like this would have 0 traction. Guess echo chambers work only when you can redirect your anger to people who have differing opinions than you do.

1 Like

I think the idea is to interrupt video when the user don’t want to (re)watch it. But it does only make sense if the simulation is being loaded while video plays. Anyway, video will always, in some way, delay the loading. MS could provide to the user an option to disable the intro.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. This game feels so much more like a console version than a PC version, its ridiculous

1 Like

I think this was argued before. There might be legal reasons to display them. I am sure you have come across unskippables in other game releases - game engine creators are notorious for insisting on that.

Maybe it’s just me - but my loading times are great. Yes - maybe half a minute - but I use that to position my joystick/yoke or read through the OFP.

Just accept this as normal - this is normal for all games. And yes - before someone shouts it’s a simulator. No. It’s a game with a sub-genre of a simulator.

Yes, it probably robs you of a great experience too. Maybe consider a refund and just leave this console game away and go back to P3D/XP11? I promise, those who remain will be just fine.

Only paid $1 on game pass, so I’m just along for the ride at this point to see what drops in the way of updates / fixes. I still play XP when I want to actually fly

Neat! So to clarify - you’re not really invested, but just curious. No skin in the game, but you feel like throwing some vitriol every now and then and see if you can stir up like-minded people to agree with? Passive observers should maybe remain that? Passive? Not that I’m trying to stifle your voice, but you kinda of alluded that your are not really invested and I suppose your opinion should carry less weight. But someone will read this and think - this guy means business.

Like really - nothing against you, but people should carry a sticker on their foreheads saying ‘just passing by’

I’m just a fan of the old MSFS and was hoping for something a little more put together than what we got. Does my opinion carry any more weight than anyone elses? Absolutely not, but I do feel that a lot of people see this as a great simulator just for the low level VFR eye candy that it is. Of course that is just my opinion. YMMV and if you love the game, I’m really happy for you that you feel you got your money worth!

I’m looking at this long term.
Was FSX Great? God no
Was P3D Great? Less out of memory
P3D v5? More bugs than fixes/improvements
XP11 - haven’t used it, but stock is stock.

What exactly were you expecting? PMDG and the like quality default aircraft? In that case you need a cold shower to wake up - sorry, that was never going to happen.
No bugs? Back into the shower please. Find any game release with no issues. Even updates break stuff - point you to P3D v5

I’m not saying your voice carries less, but I’m loudly considering to be frank - people who are flying over have the same volume as others who see the long-term value and are happy to stick it out. Complaining about stuff like ‘press any key’ just seems pointless to the extent that it was brought up to stir the pot, nothing else.

The holy question I have since day 1 but never asked… what’s the purpose of this ■■■■ pointless “press any key” :joy:

I have asked. It was to annoy you :stuck_out_tongue: Deliberately

The point I’m trying to make is this

Microsoft, I felt, led us to believe this would be a flight simulator, capable of VFR, IFR, procedures, etc. I’m not saying this is not a great, visually stunning game, I give it that, no contest. What I think myself and others are saying is that with the default airplanes 40 to 60 % operable, its very difficult, I would say impossible, to properly do an ILS approach, or fly a procedure. From how MS was letting on, I expected to be able to do that out of the box, with the planes that came out of the box. I have bought one add on for XP, and that is the Reality XP GTN 750, because honestly I got tired of turning the dang com and nav knobs on the G1000. Other than that, the game is stock. I’ve downloaded some freeware planes that work as well, if not better than their originals, however the original aircraft could still shoot an ILS landing.

I expected more on release. I know the bugs will get fixed in time, but I still can’t shake the feeling that this was a game made for xbox (which, by the way, how is an xbox gamer going to be able to do all of the commands required in this game if all one uses is an xbox controller? There aren’t enough buttons!) as evidenced by the xbox logo, the Asobo studios logo, the Blackshark.ai logo and the press any key at the start of the game. Had this been a true PC game that didn’t feel like a port, I doubt we would see any of these screens as prominently as we do now. Maybe I’m wrong, I don’t really play many Pc games any more. I know for the version of Xplane I have I launch the game and see a quick splash screen then the main menu.

Just my 0.02

1 Like

Last I tried, my PS4 or xBox one did not support rudder pedals I have via USB or my cheapo thrustmaster joystick (dang shortages!)

What if MSFS was made in mind to support consoles? As I alluded before - I applaud that. Do you think that took significant effort away? MSFS is built on FSX engine with some improvements and graphical overhaul. Win and xBox code is rather portable nowadays. We - simmers - get a market of maybe millions for payware developers to sell their stuff and maybe get their prices down from astronomical niche prices. Boo MS! How dare you.

Many many many threads ago I replied to someone about ‘expectations’. If you had any expectations on stock aircraft being anything more than mediocre, then you, honestly, were a tad delusional if I may say so. My only expectation was for stock aircraft to be a bit better - and lo and behold - they are a bit better.

I just think we will all be singing a very different tune once the likes of PMDG release their addons. Not quite sure if it was MSFS (probably) with their incomplete SDK which is causing such a long delay, or PMDG with their glacial development times. But as someone alluded before - if the likes of PMDG are throwing their future development behind MSFS, us mere mortals should just have some faith in the platform - it is bound to bring something good.

Press any KEY To Continue… of course continue. Shut down the NB? :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

At the request of the OP this thread is now closed.