What is WASM

Stupid question?

What is WASM and what will it bring to the Xbox

WebAssembly is an “execution environment” that allows custom code to be safely run within a sandboxed environment. This is needed for the Xbox.

Basically, complex aircraft require custom code to run their various system simulations. WASM is the way this is accomplished for cross platform compatibility.

Once WASM is correctly implemented in the Xbox version of the sim, it will open the floodgates for 3rd party devs to bring their complex aircraft to the platform.

PMDG will bring the DC-6 back and have stated their intent to bring their 737s and future aircraft to the Xbox.

I’ve heard Just Flight and Milviz/Blackbird state similarly.

9 Likes

Will it give Xbox users more. Like better connection to simbrief, navigraph for those who use it?

What can we except in the next few months. I am not expecting things to change over night for Xbox users, but will planes already on the market place for PC be automatically compatible or will it need a lot of modifications

1 Like

No. It will not open up the Xbox platform, specifically, for outside content. It’s not a gateway for running external code or other types of functions, so it won’t bring VATSIM, for example to the platform.

However, if certain outside content types can be made to run under WASM, then the potential is there.

We already have some aspects of SimBrief/Navigraph integration. We have SimBrief import on the A310 now and, prior to the WT changes, we had Navigraph integration on the HondaJet.

I’m thinking that Navigraph will be available via add-on in the future. It is unknown if that sort of add-on will be available to Xbox. It seems possible given the previously mention HondaJet Navigraph feature.

What we can expect is to see many of the WASM-based aircraft make their way to the Xbox Marketplace. This will include, for certain, the PMDG DC-6 & 737s and the An-225. I cannot speak for the other devs, because I’ve not seen any updates from them recently regarding their intent.

How much modification they will need is unknown. They need to be tested. That testing process is currently ongoing according to the Community Managers.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/when-we-get-wasm-for-xbox-in-the-su12-beta/579030/2?u=nixonredgrave

9 Likes

Thank you for your response, I looked everywhere to see what will happen and you explained it well and perfectly. Thank you once again. I hope it brings us a bit more sim

1 Like

This…

But it seems many folks don’t understand or won’t accept that this is true. There’s this misconception out there that WASM is suddenly going to bring Xbox to feature parity with PC, allowing any 3rd party hardware, external software, SimConnect, side-loading of mods, etc. And that’s not the case at all.

I answered this same question for someone in a Facebook group a few weeks back. I immediately had about a dozen very confused Xbox users jump on me saying I was a PC elitist trying to gate-keep features, didn’t know what I was talking about, and that it WOULD bring all these things to Xbox. Not all of them, obviously. I had other Xbox users side with me and they understood what it would bring. But that incorrect understanding of what WASM will bring is out there.

I feel we’re going to have a lot of really butthurt people on SU12 release who had very unrealistic expectations of what WASM actually is. Probably less so on this forum, as people are, generally speaking, “more in the loop” on what’s what. But social media is going to light up with the tears of thousands who will feel they got sleighted.

16 Likes

That’s why I asked. I’ve seen conflicting reports via various platforms of what it will bring, some are expecting the complete PC experience with the addons and mods you can use, I knew it wouldn’t be that and maybe it will just make planes like the A310 easier for developers to get it on the Xbox, I use navigraph and simbrief but I manually input the data for a more simulated experience anyway.

3 Likes

You got it. It will allow much more advanced aircraft that are currently PC only on Xbox. That in itself is a huge leap ahead for the platform. So saying “that’s ALL it does” is selling it short, so I won’t say that. It’s huge.

And that’s why it’s not part of the public SU12 beta. There are no forward-facing elements of WASM for users to be able to test. You need to be able to test with WASM planes on XBox. Currently, there are none. SO WASM is being tested in a separate closed beta build for preferred 3rd party devs looking to bring their own WASM-powered planes to Xbox.

3 Likes

It’s ok, if they don’t like your answer they can always ask that global renowned expert on everything… “Susan on Facebook” said… :wink:

4 Likes

I avoid posting in MSFS-related Facebook groups. I read and check out posts, but only occasionally offer info or assistance.

Generally speaking, many posts turn into garbage quickly. People ask a question. Amongst the troll answers and insults, then comes a torrent of incorrect information, bad suggestions, a bunch of name calling, etc. And inevitably the VR evangelists show up preaching the gospel of how everyone should switch to VR and turn the conversation into that.

12 Likes

But you ARE aware that VR is much better and that you have a feeling for speed and altitude and that…

ah…

oh…

I find the way out myself :stuck_out_tongue:

(FB has become a platform of hate, scam and fake-everything… I left it for good.)

3 Likes

I’ve used VR on the PS4. On flight games like Starwars, ace combat. Made me feel sick as hell. I soon sold it.

yes it’s not everyone’s thing, my girlfriend tried it in DCS, she got sick as well, I have no problem with it at all. But really, let’s not turn this into a VR discussion, my reply was meant to be a joke :smiley:

2 Likes

its not a cartridge slot for the Xbox X! Wikipedia i hate you

Just seen a new add on for the sim. Called Addon Support. I wonder what this will bring.

This is basically the add on for wasm on xbox at this time its non functioning until SU12

See:

Do you think Aircraft like the PMDG 737 and Aerosoft CRJ are gking to be available for xbox user to fly the day SU12 comes out? Or is it going to take time? Ive seen some guys say in the comments on a youtube channel catered to xbox flight sim players that that was the case but honestly it seems too good to be true lol.

1 Like

I can’t even begin to guess.

PMDG has been completely silent about it on their forum. There’s even a thread “Are you guys testing on Xbox now?” and they haven’t said anything confirming that they are.

It’s been very silent all around about WASM & Xbox testing.

At the very least, we will have the Antonov An-225, since that was promised and is a Microsoft add-on, so you know they are setup to test it.

2 Likes

Im on the pmdg forum asking the same question and its total silence from them… personally i would say no i would expect pmdg 737 in a few months lets hope im wrong :crossed_fingers:t2::pray:

3 Likes