Wha't the best dream VR GA aircraft - speed, visibility, quirks - any ideas?

I have weird preferences (“you wouldn’t understand” LOL) due to my control boxes and motion rig
So far I can’t find my ideal aircraft, all of them fail one or more of my criteria. But maybe I’m missing something, there are so many 3rd party aircraft… So advice appreciated. Ideally, my VR GA aircraft of choice would satisfy the following criteria:

• Fast cruising speed, allowing to see more scenery in a typical 1-2 hour flight.
  • Great visibility in VR - ideally a high wing design, so wings do not block the view, especially if dual-engine
  • GNS530 option - as I can operate it entirely by feel with my dual-encoder control box. Beats all other systems in terms of usability in VR for me.
  • Prefer dual-engine, as I have built a Boeing-style dual throttles, and there is no prop interfering with the frontal view. But all low wing dual engine GA planes have poor side visibility, which is a pity.
  • Prefer retractable gear - as I made a very satistying tactile gear lever that’s such a joy to use, and vibration transducer feedback on gear is awesome. Don’t want to give it up.
  • Not too large, able to use smaller airports. Up to a King Air size.
  • Prefer yoke to joystick, as my custoim-built yoke feels great, although it converts to joystick so joystick is doable if other criteria are met.
  • Analog instrumentation is easier on the eyes in VR. Though I can use glass cockpit, it also means no GNS550 which for me is not ideal.
  • Good flight model and visuals, of course.

Not high wing but the Milviz/Blackbird 310R would be my suggestion.

2 Likes

Aerosoft Twin Otter.

1 Like

Visibility? The Got Friends Optica (NOT the Orbx version). Views for days. Modern GA creature comforts. But it is slow, and one engine. The engine and thrust are weird, though, so you do have to learn to fly it.

Sadly, visibility is best in one engine planes. The smaller, the better. Ultralights often being the best.

Two engine top wing? The Goose… but maybe wait for the Anniversary update for a free one. The Twin Otter is another option.

Also, the Cessna 310 and 414 are both amazing planes. But low wing and not great for views.

In any case, if you don’t yet have it, get the Got Friends Optica. Perhaps the best VR plane in sim. Autopilot, Navigation, no prop in front blurring views, a helicopter style cockpit that blows bush planes away for visibility. You can see almost straight down and a lot in front so that sensation of flight is excellent. And a really quirky flight model that makes it feel unique to fly.

Also, with views like these, 100 MPH is kinda perfect because you can take SO much in.

I really don’t think there is anything decent that meets all of your criteria, but that Optica meets the spirit of your requirements most closely.

That’s the one I considered the top candidate so far. Looks like side visibility isn’t great though…

That would be perfect if not fot the fixed gear. I suspect from the engineering perspective most if not all high-wing planes have fixed gear… Too bad, as they usually have great visibility.

I have it, and in terms of views it’s amazing. But it’s agonizingly slow. I don’t have time for long flights, and I can’t get anywhere fast with that one. I did one group flight with it, and the challenge was just to keep up with everyone else (flying small slow GA). Even ad full throttle I could barely keep up really. Also has fixed gear.

Just released today and unproven but check out that V 22 Osprey.

There is no plane that meets all of your criteria on MSFS right now.

@RomanDesign Most of your requirements (except nav - max 430) is fulfilled with P-38L Lightning for Microsoft Flight Simulator – FlyingIron Simulations.

It is absolute joy to fly, amazing sound of engines. Moreover - it can fly fast, but it handles very well slow flying. Handles well short runways, visibility is great.

Huge point for me for the sightseeing flights - dive flaps, that means you can safely do steep dive - lets say from flying higher above mountain down to the fjord/valley. That’s blast and joy to use and fly.

Only possible downside - it is military aircraft, but personally - don’t care at all. I’m flying from launch, have many hours in it.

Strongly recommend :slight_smile:

A helicopter.

I thought so. But it’s worth asking, maybe I’m missing a good compromise I wasn’t aware of.

I haven’t thought of that one. Interesting. That’s why I posted my question - to solicit interesting ideas :slight_smile: I’ll check it out.

What about the Britten Islander or Trislander?
The TBM?
One of the jets?
One of the PC-6’s?
The Caravan?
Obviously the upcoming Beaver, and the already mentioned Goose.

P-38… visuals pretty blocked by this plane

I have been flying it a lot recently with Neofly. Even though it is low-wing it is very good and to be honest I do not find the visibility that bad given this and the engines hanging off the wings.

How about the Cessna 337? High wing, great visibility, relatively fast, retractable gear, analogue instruments, twin engine. The only thing is I think it uses the GNS530 instead of the 550. Maybe give it a look!

1 Like

Somehow I didn’t think of that one, though I knew it existed. But looking at the reviews - it’s a great candidate! I meant GNS530, it was a typo :slight_smile: I don’t think GNS 550 exists… So it fits pretty much everything. Autopilot doesn’t have a preset altitude or VS which my encoders could dial directly, but other than that it’s looking good! All my must-haves are there, along with most of “nice-to-haves”.

1 Like

Thank GOD you meant the 530! I was like… what?

337! I haven’t bought it yet. It has been on my short list.

Yes, you see I have it all mapped to my 6 dual encoder control box, so I can operate all dials, including radio/nav tuning and all buttons (some with long press) without using VR controller (or a mouse) very easily. The entire operation of the unit is modeled, i.e. I can dial waypoints by rotating and clicking the dual encoder. Any of the touchscreen-based GPS/instruments require grabbing the VR controller. Using hardware is by far the most convenient option for me. With all the controls I made I can actually almost do an entire flight just by using hardware, no VR interaction required. It adds immersion a lot, and I really get the kick out of VR immersion.

Glad I could help! One other thing about the 337: If you come across some beautiful sight and don’t want the prop interfering with your visibility, you can always feather the front prop and shut off the front engine! I’m sure it’s not SOP to do that in regular flight, but it can handle it fine at a reduced speed. Happy flying!

1 Like

Dual engines are usually always going to significantly block your side view so I’d suggest looking at singles. Low wing singles generally still have a good side view. I would suggest looking at the Bonanza V35B by Carenado as it ticks a bunch of your other boxes (it’s in the in-game marketplace). Fast for touring, has steam gauges, GNS530 with VS, retractable gear, flies well. It looks great, especially the cockpit. It’s been one of my favs recently and I also fly in VR. It’s also only like $15 so if you budgeted more for a 3rd party plane you might be able to get a second.

PA-28 turbo arrow is for me the best VR GA airplane. It may not tick all of your boxes, but it’s a really great overall choice.

1 Like

I never cared for gliding until recently. The views are spectacular in VR and it’s a very engaging experience trying to hunt for altitude. Especially if you go into the Alps/mountains.
This youtube channel is awesome to get you started.

Great freeware plane AS33. Is also motorized in case you’re out of altitude.

Flight planner
https://xp-soaring.github.io/tasks/b21_task_planner
Kinetic Assistant

2 Likes

Yes, I love that plane. My favoured small GA plane. I’d like something faster and maybe dual engine though.

My top candidates so far are Cessna 337 and Pilatus PC12 - the latter is single engine, but is very dast, and otherwise has a perfect mix of digital and analog gauges, including GNS530, autopilot with settable VS and ALT etc. good visibility - everythin I want but the dual-engine. I wonder if I can set up my hardware reverser lever to work with its beta range. 337 Skymaster is slower but is dual engine without engines obscuring the side view.

1 Like