What's Going to be in the Next Update

If my wallet allowed me to get 5990x much less a 5600x if it were @MSRP heck I don’t even get 35fps with a3NX in most demanding airports. I am barely @25-30 most of the time and it stutters. I would be really grateful if I were getting 45-50 in the cockpit along with smoothness. That is acceptable to me.
My nearly 3 year old i5 8400 is barely cutting it.
Don’t expect miracles from DX12.

1 Like

@Crunchmeister71, I certainly see your point, and in no way can I claim you’re wrong, but I do think it’s a bit of a stretch to say they’ll be on even somewhat equal footing. I would expect to see only the best of the best of the best in whatever freeware section MS/Asobo decides to add, we’re talking Working Title, Fly By Wire, @ScorpionFilm422’s version of the GNS 530 and 430, and maybe a small handful of others.

But I would expect to see probably about 90% of what you and I can go get from flightsim dot to to not be included, and probably more. And I’m OK with that, there are many addons out there that are of questionable utility and/or quality that I don’t think MS would want to even imply had their seal of approval, which by adding them to a freeware store in the sim would happen no matter how many disclaimers they might try to throw out there.

That does not put the PC version and the XBox version on equal footing, though, because the PC version can still do so much more with just this single feature than the XBox could ever even hope to do with a freeware category in the store. And MS and Co knows that, so to the extent they’re claiming the games will be the same (and I don’t know if they are doing that, I’m just saying IF they are), the reality is they know better, and built it that way on purpose.

Which I am grateful for. Some freeware addon’s suk, but many are quality products that could be sold for real money, and people could and should buy them.

I don’t know how far FBW is going to take their A32NX project, and the truth is they probably don’t just yet, either, but it’s already approaching the quality of many payware aircraft that cost in some cases hundreds of dollars. Same thing for WT’s CJ4. Yet more things I’m grateful to both the creators, and MS/Asobo for making it possible for us to use their creations.

Anyway, I’m rambling (again) when I should be off studying my A320 Cadet videos to learn to fly that one like a pro, so I’m gonna go do that…

Ciao for now!

That’s why I said “on somewhat equal footing”, meaning that the potential for them to be equal in the modding respect. Whether it ever will be or not, I don’t know. And honestly, I don’t want 80% of the garbage that’s on flightsim.to or other sites to be in the marketplace.

Those Google ripped sceneries by 15 year old Timmy who did his hometown are just atrocious.

2 Likes

A lot of them are. But there are diamonds in the rough to be found, if you get lucky and look in the right place! I’ve seen some freeware airports that are downright amazing, and put the paid version of KPIE (that my ■■■■■■■ bought) to absolute shame. It’s got buildings hovering feet above the ground, a long ago closed runway still showing as active, and one that’s been temporarily (maybe) X-ed out due to construction is, too. And we’re talking changes that happened 2, 3, maybe even 4 years ago! Needless to say, I was VERY disappointed.

1 Like

No argument here. Some of them are very well done. There are a lot of well made handcrafted sceneries. Or Google rips where the author actually knew what they were doing and optimized their work. But I would say those are the exception vs the rule, at least when it comes to the Google rips.

But most of the Google rips are made by kiddies that watched a YouTube video, decided to do areas they’re familiar with, and just dump them online to share without any optimization.

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you what kind of framerates I’m getting, because I don’t bother checking, but I’m seeing more than acceptable performance in VR with the A32NX even in complex sceneries with “just” a 10600K paired with a 2070 Super, though granted both have a healthy overclock. In fact, now that I’m thinking about it, there wasn’t even a moment in the past few days as I’ve been trying to learn to fly that beast where I was even noticing any performance difficulties that affected my ability to fly (and enjoy) the plane, in VR, running FS2020, at moderately complex airfields.

For whatever all of that is worth. Probably that info and $2.99 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Yeah the fact there is stutters and drops I am prompted to put it on dev mode and guess what I end up turning it on because its bad on my end. Most of the time I don’t have it on.
I am now seeing 5600x @MSRP in some places.Might be able to pull the plug after all!

I believe you’re wrong for many reasons about this.

You might want to read this first:

and follow the included links in order to understand what I’m talking about precisely

Then this:

And once done, you might want to further think about this:

On a positive note, Sebastian did address this specific question and did say, albeit indirectly, they are indeed revamping the task scheduler. They have already started if I’m not mistaken with the tessellation (and it is WIP and could be part of what is now causing less performance since WU3), and I also believe they won’t have any other way of doing in order to fully support DX12 multi-threading optimization opportunities, unless when he is saying “don’t expect a fps boost because of DX12”, it might not provide them the same optimization path which benefited XP11 with Vulkan (DX12 and Vulkan are very similar - just at the higher level of viewing this - about this specific optimization opportunity).

I believe the necessity of supporting Linux, macOs and Windows are compelling reasons to build your own instead of relying of the OS provided per-app thread pool and this definitely gives an advantage to XP11 for this matter. I don’t know if FS2020 is implementing their own or if they are using the OS provided ones only:
Thread Pool API - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs
User-Mode Scheduling - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

1 Like

I won’t back off. I believe in my eyes more than in other people’s experiences, claims or sayings and MSFS is a way more demanding code than any other simulator as XP or P3D… thus, you would always get lower FPS within it.

And I believe given how fast you’re answering this, you didn’t had enough time to read all the material supporting the contradictory point of view, but I’m fine with this. I’m just trying to share some background technical information I know for a fact so that people who want to further their knowledge, and confront what they see against reality, can extend the reach of their belief. What you do with it is up to you, not me!

And if I’m wrong, and if Asobo would shed some factual information about these points, I’d be pleased because we’d all learn something new, you and me.

3 Likes

I don’t think I need in-depth knowledge on the legend of XP against MSFS. XP is slightly better than FS2004 in graphics and that’s it. It’s undoubtedly true that it’s more professional in terms of flight physics than a current state MSFS, however just an underdog beside a smashing MSFS in terms of graphics.

0 Edited by me.

Who is the one that turned this into a Honeycomb thread? It was about what’s in the update, not when they’ll fix Honeycomb. Thanks who ever it was for high jacking a perfectly good clean thread about one topic and turning it into another instead of startingin your own!

1 Like

@MLTAVIATOR99, what’s that going to get you if you “pull the plug” on it? (And don’t say a new CPU, duh, but what performance impact will it have for you?) And you seem fixated on AMD, is there a reason for that?

Are you sure it will work if you do? (pulling the plug) :rofl:

PS: I’m sorry for being a pest but I couldn’t resist this one.

More new and exciting bugs…

1 Like

Oh, look! Another Debbie Downer!

When you go into it with that attitude, it’s pretty much assured you’re going to find what you’re looking for.

3 Likes

Oh look !!! Another Asobo evangelist!!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.