PSA: NVidia has found the root cause of stuttering and VR performance in their drivers!

Nothing directly related to NVidia but while we’re a lot testing the driver and config, I’ve just tried out validating how many cores FS2020 requires at a minimum and whether there is any incidence in the fps (res: Dreadful Performance discussion)

People are complaining the simulator is using one 1 main thread and this is the bottleneck. It is true it is a bottleneck but there is not much other ways to do either. Maybe FS2020 could benefit from a task scheduler using more cores and spreading the work tasks a little more as well, but in the current state it is not using much core. But how much?

I suspected it needed a minimum of 2 cores itself (main thread and render thread) and probably 1 more (DX11 thread) for a total of 3, and I’ve just tested:

8C8T:

3C3T:

With 2C2T it locks up, enabling 3C3T it resumes.

Now why posting this here? Because if FS2020 only needs 3 cores and we fix the affinity to 3 only, the others are free for the rest. I once tried forcing SteamVR compositor on 2 cores and FS2020 on the other 6 remaining but there was no difference. Nevertheless, it is interesting to note on the above pictures it is consuming less CPU overall on 3C than on 8C… Which could be a sign my system was doing some background work at the time I took the screenshot, or, FS2020 is using more threads than cores (usually normal) but it spends some CPU time doing synchronization, or I can’t conclude anything either from this anyhow.

Now if you want to experiment limiting to 3 cores only on your system and compare how it goes with stuttering etc…

NB: we might probably need at least 4 cores instead in order to give it room when loading assets or downloading from Bing servers (my test was all static only).

PS: if you’re wondering for the FO and PAX:
[TIP] Add a copilot to your aircraft (and passengers too!)

Update: a quick flight in 2D over photogrammetry (LAX) and it is better with 8C8T than 4C4T on my system.

3 Likes