Whats the difference? Taa and dlss

This is weird. I just upgraded my hp g2 to a quest 3. Right now im getting 40 fps in TAA, DLSS, no matter. I can lower my settings, 40 fps. I raise them and even include raymarched reflections. 40 fps. Clouds medium or high, 40 fps. Shouldnt there be some performance boost with DLSS? What am i missing here. No fps locks anywhere, vsync off. Oh dont get me wrong, those quest 3 lenses make a huge difference and it looks great, and its smooth. Just find it strange dlss does nothing . Though i havent tried dx12, though in the past the performance was worse with it.

3070ti and 13700. 32gb memory at 5400mhz

You most likely got Asynchronous Spacewarp enabled which basically caps it at half the refreshrate of your Quest.

Nope. Disabled.

The main differences with your old G2 and new Q3 is that with the Q3 there is the need for your gpu to do data encoding. I have measured the differences between these and have estimated that the Q3 uses about 10-15% of your gpu resources. This will mean that you probably lose about 5-10% fps performance. I get around this by lowering my Q3 refresh rate to 80Hz (compared to 90Hz with my Vive Pro1).

I created a thread last month to describe what I currently use with both my Q3 and QPro. While my specs are a bit higher that yours, most of these should work fine, but you may need to lower a few of these, like tlod/olod down to 80-100. Please feel free to review my settings and maybe try these out.

If you want to know the techmical differences between TAA and DLSS, then just do a bit of googling. Basically, both can be made to work well with rtx3000/4000 series gpu’s. I prefer DLSS/balanced because it’s a bit smoother. Some like TAA/80-100 because it may produce better cockpit clarity. Up to you to decide what works best for you.

As far as ASW goes, I prefer to set this (with ODT ot OTT) to 45fps forced. This actually limits your fps to 1/2 your refresh rate and turns ASW = off (40fps in my case since I use 80Hz refresh rate). I’ve found capping the fps produces smoother, more consistant results. You can also use keyboard commands to set these on the fly. To turn ASW off press ctrl+num1 (numeric keyboard 1, not upper row 1). To set ASW = 45fps forced, asw=off, press ctrl+num2

Anyway, I hope this helps mate and good luck finding out what ultimately works best for you. Cheers.

1 Like

Pretty much everything ive aready known. I guess im just confused why so much hoopla about DLSS in youtube videos about such a huge performance increase using it. And i see no such thing. Its exactly the same. With,or without it.

@CasualOne7471
No big ‘Hoopla’, DLSS is simply nvidia rtx gpu AI based and TAA isn’t.

Performance may or may not be the same depending on your other settings. If all things like target resolution are equal and you don’r cap frametrates, then DLSS will generally to give you around 10-15% better fps pcvr performance. At least that’s what I’ve seen in the past with 3090 and 4090 gpu setups.

Probably depends on your PC setup, and it may not make quite as much difference with your 3070ti, which is a bit on the weak side for good msfs2020 pcvr these days. In any case, like I already said, it’s up to you to find out what works best for you.

Anyway, since everything I already tried to tell you, you say you already know, I guess there’s not much more I can add to your thread so I’'ll sign off now. Good luck mate and cheers.

1 Like

What do you use in Oculus app graphics settings? 80hz?

Already mentioned this. With all my Quest headsets (Q2/3/Pro) I use 80Hz refresh rate with res slider full right. This is with a rtx4090 so if you have something less than say a 4080 you probably need to shift the res slider a few notches left of full right.