Whats up with the screen tearing now without VSYNC?

the problem is that now the frame time is constantly switching between 16,6ms (60fps) and 33ms (30fps),assuming 60fps vsync, for no reason, instead of being an fps dependant variable. Not happening before nor ever since alpha days. Now even with vsync, the sim is stuttery AS HELL!

1 Like

If you enable Max frame rate, from the Nvidia control panel, do you think that this will fix it for you ?

I’ll need to test a few things… I was hoping just to play this, but now it’s back to doing beta testing. Right now I locked it on 60FPS and will see the results. I had it off before and averaged 45-60FPS and pretty smooth.

1 Like

Same here. Screen tearing upon first startup. Vsync off as in the past. Seemed to get better over time - strange. Need to try the suggested fix tomorrow.

still i am trying to understand how MSFS v-sync in-game works. On or Off never had any change. Maybe has to do that i am using G-sync, so v-sync is not important as i will never go over Monitor refresh rate ( 144hz).
Parking on LGAV with A32NX ( latest dev) everything is smooth and better than previous updates ( with v-sync OFF nvidia control panel)

Seems to be affecting AMD as well I think. In Screen tearing introduced by 16/02/21 update a workaround was found but it only applies to Nvidia cards (switch on Fast Vsync via settings). What about AMD? I’m reluctant to enable Vsync as I’ve read it’ll cause performance issues if GPU can’t keep up with the display frame rate (60fps) and we all know MSFS can’t be at steady FPS even with $10k GPUs.

Some initial tests with Vsync on @ 60 fps lock in my GPU are no-go, causes significant performance hit so I’d rather go with the annoying screen tearing.

Will need to test this tomorrow as I noticed tonight I was getting a lot of backlight flickering on my monitor. Never had this with MSFS until after today’s update. Can be an issue with freesync VA panels when the frame rate inconsistent so looks like something has changed here.

I set mine to 60FPS w/ VSYNC on… I’m getting smooth 45FPS play rate, so far, which I guess is fine. Just odd, I used to have it off and got 50-60FPS with no tearing.

Hi not sure if this will help you but has resolved for me.

I was using nvidia control panel msfs programme setting (not global),

nvidia control panel max frame to 30fps

fixed refresh rate (instead of gsync)

Verticle sync set to (adaptive half refresh rate)

In game vsync set on to (60)

Before update was working fine, after update lots of tearing.

So fix I found, use nvidia profile inspector, search Microsoft flight simulator, and change vertical sync tear control from (adaptive) to (standard).

Hope this helps anyone.

They must of fixed the In game Vsync clashing with the nvidia control panel vsync.

Previously set vsync on in nvidia control panel and in game vsync off but fps would still go over my monitor refresh rate 60hz / fps.

But now it work so must be the reason.

Same here. I thought something had happened to my monitor backlight at first.
I use nvidia + g-sync, vsync off in the game. I got this flickering even on loading screens.

I have always had in game vsync off, nvidia vsync off and limited to 30fps in nvidia control panel giving 30fps perfectly smooth, no tearing.

After update had bad tearing, in game vsync at 60 or 30 fps did nothing (allowed higher than 30fps for 30fps limit!) and screen tearing on both. Nvidia CP limited to 30fps, still allowed higher.

The only setting that worked was in game vsync to 20fps, which weirdly gave 30fps with no tearing. Don’t ask me to get technical, I just click buttons LOL I also set nvidia to 30fps limit, just to slow the GPU down (runs at 100% and 84’c if I don’t)

Someone else may understand why?

I’ve noticed adaptive sync (g-sync, freesync) won’t work right if you force v-sync from within msfs.

Please up vote and report this in Bugs & Issues at:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/screen-tearing-introduced-by-16-02-21-update/366440

Saw in another post about setting FAST (for nVidia) and thought it didn’t work for me, BUT someone said you have to restart the sim to see the effect. Restarted and all is good! No tearing and running smooth again.

I have 30fps limit in nVidia CP and vSync ‘FAST’
NO vSync on in MSFS
GeForce 1660 Super @1080p

Not sure, will have to test. Thanks for the reply. Will try with fast sync asap.

same here, before, vsync on or off had no effect in the game (it was on no matter what) and I ran it super smooth at any frame rate (about 45 in my case maxed out). Now this is no longer possible even using vsync, which is crazy stuttery. :frowning:

To solve the “backlight flickering” problem I disabled G-SYNC and enabled V-SYNC in the Nvidia control panel. In MSFS VSYNC is off. My display is 165Hz, so there is no much difference between G-SYNC nad V-SYNC, as my average FPS is around 40.

Before update with v-sync off (not limited by FPS) = perfectly, smooth.
Now with v-sync on and limited FPS (60) = worse.
Now with v-sync off = unplayable.(screen tearing)

I have Radeon 5600 XT.

The only way to avoid flickering is to use in game V-Sync for me, using NCP no longer works, but the fps limiter in the game does not work as it should, 30 fps limit in game gives me about 45 fps and if I set it to 20 I get just over 30 fps, but 45 fps seems to work well without stuttering, even when frames drop at busy airports, so that’s an improvement.

v1.13.16.0 - Screen tearing not a bug but a design change.