What's wrong with Canterbury Cathedral?

Since WU 3, the UK Canterbury cathedral was just beautiful but it seems since the last sim update, I can’t get within half mile of the cathedral otherwise the texture disappears and the cathedral become very basic without any details. I don’t have any mod for this city. Do you have the same problem ?

Thanks for verifiying. Waiting your report.

André Vaillancourt

I you have the Rolling Cache on?
If so, you probably have old files in the cache which weren’t compatible after the upgrade.
Empty all caches and then try.

I emptied my cache few days ago. Didn’t fix the problem

André Vaillancourt

1 Like

Photgammetry on or off?
If on, what happens if it’s off.
There are no other posts in here on this, so it seems to be a localized issue.
Photogammetry is known to be so-so without a very good bandwidth, so with it off, you could prove or disprove that…

I have a very good fiber internet 100mb/s, my photogrammetry is ON. I can see the cathedral very nicely if I’m 1/2 mile away of it. If I get closer like any other castle or cathedral, the textures goes away and I have only a basic block with some basic shapes. It’s why I post here to ask someone to go there and verify if you get the same thing. On the first time I went there after SU3, it was very good. All other POI are okay in the country and I can get very close.

André Vaillancourt

OK, I’ll do just that.
I didn’t understand you wanted someone to check it out, thought you were looking for those that had noticed.
Give me a few minutes, I’ll get back to you.

1 Like

Yes, I do get the exact same thing at that distance.
It goes from quite nice to no textues at all, just the form of the building.

Oh thank you so much for checking. So there is a problem with this cathedral since the last SU.

André Vaillancour

1 Like

I even tried two mods and the default cathedral get over the mods without any textures.

André Vaillancourt

Yeah, I just tried one myself, same result.

1 Like

I have the same problem. It was originally lovely, now breaks up. I’m no nerd but if I sus it I will report. You too, pls.

1 Like

Where you report that ?

André Vaillancourt

Under support at the top of the page, look for the “submit a request” heading.
The process is a bit laborious

I haven’t made any report, only mentioned as reply to your post. Sorry, but I’m not as knowledgeable as you obviously are with this program/game.

no problem.

André Vaillancourt

The last few sim updates changes how the LOD rendering works to improve FPS.

It seems those performance improvements has a side effect on photogrammetric buildings detail at certain distances.

Have you tried maxing out the Terrain and Objects Level of detail?

My level of details slider is at max 400.

André Vaillancourt

Same thing happened to Edinburgh and a bunch of other places with SU5

It’s also what causes the marshals baton to be visible and then vanish depending on distance.

The LOD triggers all across the game as messed up.

1 Like

I didn’t encounter any other problem accross the entire UK and Scottland terriories except Canterbury. I just completed the entire castle/cathedral tour of both countries.

André Vaillancourt

I noticed Lincoln cathedral looks way overexposed in the daytime from 10,000ft, and probably from all other altitudes too. Not sure what’s going on here.