Wheel stand and honeycomb

Sooo…after almost a Year of Waiting. Maybe not a cockpit per se, but now its a little faster to prepare Flying Area at small flat :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have the Deluxe version also and fly from my sofa in VR, I have a mini keyboard on the Alpha and a track ball mouse on the sea next to me. It’s a perfect setup.

I have been using an old speaker stand for my HC Bravo and it works great. Nice and heavy so it doesn’t move around and a bit lower than desk height which is perfect for the Bravo.

May I ask where you managed to purchase this please? Does it have a brand name? Thanks

Yes, its a wheel stand pro. I think you will find this on Company site very soon.

I’d highly recommend the Wheelstand Pro stands. They are solidly built and can be folded away for the rare occasions when you aren’t going to be using them. They provide massive flexibility, particularly when flying/driving in VR, as you can get the controls to be positioned close to their virtual cockpit counterparts. You can also switch the use of the pillars, so that the throttles can be on the left for an F18 or on the right for an A320, for example.

I currently have two, one 3-pillar set up for flying with a TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind setup and another, with 2 pillars, for driving with a Logitech G29 setup.

For the flight setup, i’ve also attached a powered USB hub, so that i only need to plug one USB cable into my PC. It’s pretty easy to swap them around and store them when unused. I don’t have a massive amount of space in my “computer room”, so this attribute is particularly useful.

Currently looking at possibly getting the TM Airbus TCA controllers, although there doesn’t yet appear to be appropriate adapters, so would need to fashion some, probably out of plywood.

1 Like

Is it possible to attach the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo? The website does not mention these as being compatible.

I posted a question to them, at least 18 months ago, IIRC specifically about the Alpha yoke, and they replied to say that such an adapter was in development. Unfortunately, if they have developed an adapter, they have yet to make it available.

However, they can supply fairly generic metal plates that attach to the vertical pillars or even additional poles, as the basis of an adapter for just about any controller. Like i said above though, you might need to get a piece of wood/metal/plastic of an appropriate shape and size, to attach to this/these plates and allow the Alpha/Beta to be mounted.

Very cool! I like the setup!
Do you have more pics of it? e.g. a side view maybe?

By way of an update, I’ve just been sent this link, by a very helpful person, Kamil, at Wheelstand Pro. It looks like they have successfully developed a way of mounting the Alpha and Bravo.

Apparently, the necessary Wheelstand Pro kit will be available very shortly.

1 Like

Two pieces of wood and some bolts and screws and you can convert any Wheel Stand Pro to Honeycomb. You can also get away without using the clamps. Ps the wood on the top of the units are there for protection as I have 2 cats that like to climb on everything.

3 Likes

I was just going to say something along the lines of “there’s more than one way to skin a cat”, but given your last sentence, that would probably not have been appropriate. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had been previously thinking along similar lines and might still go that way, depending upon how much the official adaptors cost and whether they might be sold as addons rather than having to buy yet another stand.

How do you fasten the wood to the poles by the way? Do you use an official wheelstand plate, as an adaptor, or have you acquired/built another bracket to fasten the wood directly to the pole?

I just used counter sunk bolts and the same for the Honeycomb bases using the 4 existing holes in the plastic moulding. The Bravo unit has no weight and doesn’t take any really stress from use so is very stable on the existing WSP bracket. With the Bravo also I’m able to bring it forward and lower than the Alpha and match the reach in VR more accurately. My mouse just sits on the sofa next to the Bravo ( I just have to remember to turn off the keyboard as the cats like to step on it).

1 Like

If I fly military or stick aircraft/ helicopters I remove my Alpha and attach my Thrustmaster joystick (it sit nicely between my legs). I’m also able to swap the throttle arm over to the left hand side and attach my Hotas for DCS, Spitfire etc. So for an ex Xbox couch/ sofa player I’ve got a very flexible setup with the wheel stand.

2 Likes

That’s great thanks.

I have a TM Warthog HOTAS mounted on my stand at the moment and will probably just lift the joystick and throttle out, along with their respective poles, and replace them with the Alpha and Bravo, complete with their own poles. I’ll off course need to switch them around a little, to put the throttle on the right and the yoke in the middle, but that should be easy enough. I’ve got a USB hub attached to the stand, so i’ll still only need one port on my PC.

I have yet to acquire the Honeycombs, as i wanted to make sure that i would be able to mount them before doing so.

Thanks again for the photos.

If your based in the UK, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo Flight Controls Bundle

You can get an extra 5% off this price via the news letter

1 Like

Nice one thanks. :slight_smile:

Did you have to buy a bracket to attatch the tpr? I have mine set to max stiffness, does the stand stay still or move with full rudder?

I’ve got Crosswinds attached to my Wheelstand Pro and i can’t think of any way that i could move it by use of the pedals, without causing severe damage to either my pedals or my ageing body. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s good to hear.