When is weather radar coming?

The one big thing I’m missing in this sim is a working weather radar, especially when flying airliners. Did Asobo announce when they are going to implement it?

2 Likes

Wasm access to weather radar has been listed as planned for Sim Update 10 (which is currently in beta but I don’t know if the weather radar is included yet). Third-party devs will then have to update their code to use it.

I haven’t loaded up the default sim airliners in recent months, but I saw some posts in the SU10 Beta forums a week or so ago discussing weather radar. It may be that it’s already enabled for the stock 747, 787 and A320neo.

As for when it will work for 3rd party airliners, it will be after SU10 is released, but how soon after depends on the complexity of the SDK tools and how long it takes developers to implement the features.

Weather radar can actually be pretty complex, depending on the plane. It’s not usually as simple as the default sim WX radar is (or was). The crew can typically adjust the scan angle and width to get a better “look” at the cloud and precipitation structures, and some Doppler radars measure wind speed, rotation, etc. But who knows if Asobo have modeled anything like that in the SDK they’re working on.

So yeah, in the SU10 Beta, WX radar is working again in the 747-8 at least. I don’t know how long it will take to get it into third-party planes once SU10 is working, but hopefully not very.

To be more specific and on point:

1. Weather radar was included in the sim from the beginning.
  2. Weather radar was broken to a degree - it did not update on its own anymore
  3. FlyByWire deactivated weather radar on their A32Nx mod waiting for Asobo to open up the weather radar system
  4. SU10 beta fixed the issues and provided a weather radar API

The full release of SU10 is set to late August, so that is the date it will “come” officially… again.

10 Likes

I fly the 787 sometimes and it has weather radar since MSFS was released.

It’s here in beta 10!

Works in aircraft that have radar…the pictured h145, some Beechcraft, Kodiak…and a few others. Lot’s of goodies coming in 10. Running beta 10 now.

1 Like

To beta testers: will it be the old wxr MSFS had when it released (which showed clouds only) or it will be the complex WXR that shows turbulences, heavy rain and others like IRL?

Aha so there is an actual chance that after all these years there will finally be a weather radar? Awesome! That´s an update I love to install!

PMS50 GPS addon has a working weather radar since many months ago. The default airliners also have it since release, as said above. But on the A320 sometimes you still need to reactivate the switch (the one to display it on the left screen) in the lower center pedestal as for some reason it´s randomly turned off after loading flight or does not initialize at all even if the switch is active.

Cheers

Clouds? It always showed (and still shows on SU10 Beta) precipitation, not clouds.

The weather radar is not enhanced (also that is not mentioned in the official changelog) so no turbulence or stuff like that.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-update-10-beta-release-notes-1-27-9-0/528823

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-update-release-notes-1-27-11-0-july-20-2022/531350

The only thing changed is that the existing system now updates again on its own during flight. That was fixed alongside with the implementation of the new API I guess.

Oh, I didn’t remember well I guess. Thank you!

IIRC very old versions showed non-precipitation clouds pretty aggressively. But this was quite some many months ago, and has been fixed for a long time.

2 Likes

Pms50 on my hype H145 (I have the premium) has never had working radar…and I have been flying the H145 for almost as long as Hype has been offering it for purchase. I had to upload the latest pms50 update for it to work. Works perfectly now and updates with each scan.
FYI: Radar only shows returns from hitting something solid. Never shows clouds.

Look… skymaster radar beta 10 works now!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.