Where Are All the Helicopter Pilots?

Almost from launch, people were complaining ‘when are we getting helicopter support?’. Now we have it, yet I see very few discussions on the subject, but an untold number about cloud formations or the shape of trees. I myself had no interest in choppers (didn’t like them from personal experience). Now the only ‘fixed wing’ I fly is the Osprey. I may end up selling my Honeycomb A & B, they are not being used.

2 Likes

The topic Interests-Helicopters is only a few days since creating.

In this instance ^ do not search for:
Bell, 407, Helicopter, 145, 135, collective, guimbial, cabri or any other heli related word…

There are only two helicopters and most things about them are already said on the forum posts. They are quite basic to generate more discussions and their errors are already identified too. Once we see other releases which include more systems or different features we could expect other type of discussions maybe.

Cheers

I myself can say that I have seen quite a few of them flying around airports. It has been mostly in larger airport.

1 Like

Thank you all. It just seemed to me there wasn’t a lot of concern. There was quite a bit with the HYPE 135/145. Maybe because the comments regarding the 407 and Giumbal are scattered.

For anyone who likes the helis and hasn’t checked out HPG’s H145 you owe it to yourself to investigate. It’s a fantastic addon and with the Action Pack brings a ton of things to do in the sim. The module, manual, and support is all of the highest quality.

Most of the chatter about this one is on the HYPE discord which is extremely active and the devs are on every day answering questions, posting betas, asking for feedback - a fantastic group of developers, easily the best I have found in just about any game (similar to Reiza with Automobilista). That may be why it’s fairly quiet here.

2 Likes

Although I’m not very active in these forums, I’m a huge fan of helicopters in general and helicopter sims. I also have a lot of experience with flying RC helicopters (full collective pitch) as well. I have played a number of sims that have helicopters such as X-Plane, FSX, DCS, ARMA, Fly Inside VR, Take On Helicopters, and probably a couple others I can’t even remember now.

I picked up the H145 from Hype Performance Group, and it’s great, especially in VR, and I am hopeful that some more high quality helicopters become available for MSFS soon! :slight_smile:

If they’re anything like me, they’ve all crashed…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Just curious… does the H145 work with the new heli-specific settings in the options (controls) menu in MSFS or do you have to bind controls like collective and cyclic to the old flight control names in the menu?

I for one am really enjoying learning fly the Giumbal since finally getting the controls configured.

1 Like

Not yet in the stable Release version. But HPG has been working feverishly since SU11 to get the H145 updated to native msfs helo dynamics and controls (third party devs got access to the helo flight dynamics at the same time we all did). They now have beta versions which use the native controls (as well as the older control options) and fly fantastically well, apart from a very few things which need to be fixed up to get it to where it was prior to SU11.

Anyone who has the H145 can try out any version they want. The addon comes with an app which makes installing and switching back and forth between versions completely painless and automatic.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ve been so involved in trying the native helos and Osprey, that I have not thought of going back to the 145 to see how it now functions. Will go to their Discord and catch up.

1 Like

Well, helicopter pilots fly with hands and feet bound to the controls… makes typing somewhat of a challenge.

But whenever i feel like juggling enertia, i do take to the skies in a helo… it’s been quite a number of hours already, to be honest.

1 Like

True, very true. That must be it. More fun controlling those killing machines than pecking at a keyboard. :smile:

2 Likes

On Xbox, you just have to look for hovering Bonanzas and CJs.

2 Likes

I’m a pilot, I can fly.

2 Likes

I see some online now and then. Most of the guys I know don’t use these forums, though. I don’t use them myself a lot either, really.

I’ve noticed. Been spending more time on the HYPE discord myself.

Not a fan of Discord either, really. Reminds me of IRC. Information gets lost. You’re either there “right now” or you don’t see it anymore.

4 Likes

This ^ don’t ever assume these forums are a reliable representation of the userbase. We are the 0.00000000000012%.

1 Like

My training will never allow me to ‘assume’. :wink:

2 Likes