Where are the thunder and lightning...?

I guess the last time I witnessed to a lightning was before the excessive lightning issue. Once it was solved, didn’t see any lightning anymore.

So true, unfortunately. The clouds now are of basically one kind (cumulus), are like puffs of fog, we do not have sense of motion anymore; when getting near clouds they either dissipate like melting cotton candy or just surround the aircraft in some kind of eery “fog” and you can see the ground even if climbing up through the fog then at some point the ground might disappear but then we see blue sky above with the fog bubble below us.

These aren’t volumetric clouds anymore. They are “smoke in mirrors” to make us think they are a cloud I guess. Never able to “break through” a solid overcast anymore unlike when MSFS was released.
The high overcast looks like some kind of transparent blend of light cream that you can see through with repetitive pattern.

The clouds are… ugly, uninspiring, and have absolutely no variation. More and more people are catching on to this and Asobo please can this be fixed?

7 Likes

I wish they would do a world or sim update focused entirely on the weather. For example I never see any Cumulonimbus clouds towering up to 50,000 feet etc, just really small baby ones. Also high level cirrostratus needs to be depicted a lot better.

Turbulence in clouds as well often seems to be non existent

As for Lightning, haven’t seen any in ages, they seem to have gone from one extreme to the other.

I’m sure there is plenty more as well but these are the ones that really stand out for me.

4 Likes

There was a post i made a while ago, i was asking for a weather only updated, but at this stagevi am not wven sure if they can or want to have as good as before

So here’s the wierd thing lightning is still here, but it only occurs in non-metar areas. I’ve been able to consistently see this pattern since SU7. In a rare case though I did see lightning at a metar airport, but again meteoblue indicated there would be lightning. This pic is from a few hours ago.

2 Likes

Exactly! Yeah there is a thread here where we can vote it’s “METAR is disrupting the weather”. METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

4 Likes

I really wish they’d let those of us who don’t fly VATSIM disable the Metar weather. Meteoblue is both more dynamic and more reflective of real-world conditions.

10 Likes

I haven’t seen any lightning or heard any thunder while flying in heavy rain and likely thunderstorms based on real radar. Anyone else experiencing this?

3 Likes

I haven’t either for a long time if ever.

I have not seen it

I haven’t seen it either but I’m happy it’s not there. Too many topics about clear days with lightning, etc. Fewer topics mentioning it isn’t here anymore! :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :zap: :cloud_with_lightning:

1 Like

Yep, haven’t seen thunderstorms in forever in live weather, would be nice if they were back.

1 Like

They were WAY over represented earlier in the sim, I cannot complain at the level of attempts to work it out.

As in it was so bad so, lets wait for a fix before we go back to that.

1 Like

Back on launch of this sim all i saw was thunderstorms…Not seen any in ages tho since then.

3 Likes

had at least one lightning just after take off from Milan Malpensa about 10 minutes ago with real live weather enabled.

1 Like

They only work (somewhat, not all the time) in non-metar areas, but due to the cloud logic being wierd you get these thin or small clouds with some lightning, which should look better in SU10.

1 Like

It’s in the cockpit!! :smiley:

I haven’t seen one in ages, and now feel the need to go storm chasing. Have Asobo simply turned them off as they couldn’t fix the lightning in clear skies bug?

NW Oklahoma looks like a good place to start right now.

They are gone- flying over what should be a line of storms, and instead there are a few puffy clouds…

2 Likes