Which is the better Pilot2ATC or PF3 for MSFS 2020?

Hi there, Which is the better of the 2 in your opinion? I have them both, but which one is more realistic or more accurate? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I just started to use them and was just curious…

1 Like

I have a question about Pilot2ATC. In their website I see that they have the option for free trial for the AIRAC 1801. I am a navigraph subscriber and I was wondering if I can use the latest cycle from navigraph with the Pilot2ATC. Another thing is, is it possible to use it without speech recognition ? Just hand over every communication to co-pilot ?

Default ATC really is annoying and bad. I am considering Pilot2ATC but I’ve got many questions. Does it also interfere with the AI traffic ?

Thanks for all the feedback already.

I’m not sure about the navigraph ,Someone with more experience could be of more help to you…Sorry about that

Hi,

The answer to your questions is yes on both fronts. You can use it without speach recognition, there is a “say it function” where you can select the phrase you want said and your trusty co-pilot will say it for you, you can also have your co-pilot automatically respond on your behalf.

personally i use a mixture of the features together, so when its getting busy in teh cockpit i just hand off to the copilot to do the chatting on my behalf.

Navigraph automaticaly updates P2ATC with the latest AIRAC as it does with all other platforms. The one thing with P2ATC is if you do use the speach recognition it can take some work to get it working properly (took me best part of a day walking through each step of the setup before i could get it working properly), but a great add on.

3 Likes

I like Pilot2ATC, but I’ve not used the other.

Yes, you can use Navigraph with Pilot2ATC. Navigraph has a thing you can download to keep it and other software up to date. They also have a separate program that keeps MSFS up to date.

Yes, Pilot2ATC see’s AI traffic, and will instruct you accordingly while taxiing, as well as give traffic reports if you’re near another one while flying.

Pilot2ATC has a “copilot” feature, which will control the radio and respond to ATC if enabled. You’ll still have to initiate some stuff, such as requesting IFR clearance, requesting that you’re ready to taxi, etc. There is a “say it” feature tho, which is where you can choose what you’re wanting from a list and click the “say it” button and the copilot will say it for you. You don’t ever have to talk if you don’t want to.

4 Likes

I can only talk from my experience of P2ATC as I havnt tried PF3, I have watched a number of videos and i like P2ATC, its flexible, allows you to randomly assign SIDS and STARS or keep defined ones, works well with Navigraph etc.

I also prefer the voices in P2ATC, but thats a very subjective topic and can be changed anyway by loading different voice types.

1 Like

Hi thanks for the replies… How much is the Navigraph subscription?

Thank you so so much for your informative answers, these were the things that I was wondering mostly, I guess I’ll go with Pilot2ATC.

1 Like

I have the full subscription on a monthly basis (8.30 euros per month) there are options for a yearly subscription, or just FMS data if you dont want charts, but i couldnt be without charts to be honest.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info guys…

I also have the full subscription, but I pay annually. I think it’s around $75 per year. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

1 Like

Also have the Pilot2ATC with Navigraph subscription, and additional Amazon Polly voices, and it works perfectly! Only what I miss with p2atc is random hold assignment (never get directed into a hold unfortunately) and emergencys, what PF3 seems to handle better. But I belive PF3 needs additional programs to make VoiceRecognition work, what is a big minus

3 Likes

I have tried both, and have used PF3 for years, I did not like Pilot 2 ATC, because I was limited to two controller voices unless I spent a fortune buying additional voices. PF3 comes with well over 100 voices, and many have the accents that are used in the area of the world where you are flying. PF3 has a very easy learning curve and a free demo.https://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/pf3_details.htm

2 Likes

You can add many more voices in P2ATC and they don’t have to cost…very good program …I haven’t used PF3

Normally you can without problems

2 Likes

I prefer Pilot2ATC…I’ve been using it for a couple of years and have tried (more than once) PF3. As for MS ATC, my dog could do a more realistic job.

With Pilot2ATC you can talk to it OR use keyboard/mouse. Great app

Thanks…Michael

Just tried Pilot2ATC but Stuka style approaches and it often getting confused & stopping responding put me off. Trying out PF3 now to see which I prefer…

G

If I were to buy Pilot2ATC, I would have it running on my second screen where I already have things like Navigraph and SkyPark running. I would likely resort to keyboard/mouse most of the time because my charming Danish accent tends to confuse every speech recognition system ever invented. Also, I don’t even have a microphone at this time.

However, having interactive windows running on a separate monitor is not without problems with MSFS. If you forget to click somewhere in the sim after having touched something in another program, it receives no input from keyboard, joystick or other controller devices.

So, here’s my question: Is it possible to execute say-it commands in Pilot2ATC without removing input focus from MSFS? In addition to speech control, of course. I suppose it would have to be globally configured keypresses or controller buttons. E.g., TrackIR allows you to configure two buttons this way for “reset” and “pause”.

Note that you have to have a microphone installed (even if you don’t intend to use speech recognition at all), otherwise P2A won’t initialize correctly.

I’m running P2A on a second monitor, and have absolutely no issues. Although you can bind the “Say it” to a joystick button, you first have to actually select the request (what you want to say) from a menu with the mouse, so I don’t think that’ll help you with the focus issue. But if you have the copilot manage all your communications (as I have) those mouse interactions are pretty much limited to being on the ground (clearance, taxi etc) so it has never been an issue for me.

One thing that I like about Pilot2ATC is the atc chatter plugin. When you tune to a certain frequency, it will play recorded frequencies from a similar recording (ground is ground, tower is tower, clearance, etc.). So while it is recorded, it is similar to what you would hear on that frequency.

2 Likes