Which Nvidia driver gives the best fps?

Hey guys, i was wondering which Nvidia driver is the best in terms of performance at the moment?
I’m getting like 20fps at 4k ultra with my system

32GB Ram
RTX 3070
Latest windows version

I always keep my Nvidia driver updated with the latest version as soon as it’s out. You won’t be able to run it on Ultra with smooth fps, to be honest.

Check out this topic. If you optimise your settings accordingly you’ll get a good balance between visuals and performance. I fly on around smooth 30 fps on my 2080 Ti by following this optimisation guide.

4 Likes

457.30 and the new 465.89 seem to work best for many people. In between there were several versions with reports of decreased performance and more stuttering, which I can confirm. Stuck with the 457.30 for a long time but for me the the 465.89 is a definite an improvement

2 Likes

For me in VR and my card (2070 SUPER) the 457.30 drivers are the best.

465.89 seems to be working well with my 1080. I can get 40fps at busy airports like Heathrow. I used to run 460.89 with HAGS on, and got between 31-35fps.

With the 2070 super I have the best result with the 457.30 apor. 30fps, with newer drivers I got 10fps less, also with the newest one.

457.30 without a doubt for me on a 2080. Tried the latest 465.89 and immediately had an increase in pauses and stutters. Rolled back to 457.30 within 5 minutes.

Moving around different drivers for this sim doesn’t really give better fps.
3070 is not really meant for 4K ultra but it’s playable if you tweak some settings maybe drop to high? 8gb of vram is already not enough for 4K if you have texture resolution also on ultra.
457.30 works the best for me on my old rtx2060super.

Changing drivers rarely makes a difference in FPS unless there is something seriously wrong. New drivers mostly add support for new games or new cards but nothing significant will change unless your video card is just released. Also framerate in MSFS rarely relies on the GPU to begin with.

Comparing FPS between situations is also difficult, a change in weather or amount of multiplayer traffic, network traffic, time of day can change the FPS drastically. There are a lot of variables and you might think it’s due to a driver update when in reality it’s not.

So the only way to know is use benchmarking tools to measure video card performance, not MSFS.

2 Likes

Of course you have to test under the same conditions. I also removed directly from the newest driver back to the 457.30 because of frame rate decrease from 30 to 20 and more stutters . What will give me an other test when if it so in MSFS?

i9-10900k / RTX 3070 / 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 / SSD / 1440p

Maxed out aside from resolution scale at 100

Using 465.89 currently (the latest).

Did you forget to tell us your FPS? Or if the game plays smoothly? Or did you just want us to see your system specs?

It’s above 30 and smooth with TrackIR.

Stutters are often caused when you’re limited by the main thread. A GPU bottleneck rarely causes any stutters.

And graphics drivers don’t communicate directly with games in borderless windowed fullscreen, Desktop Window Manager (WDM) is in between those two. So unless you have problems with other games too, driver issues exclusive to this game will be extremely rare.

Issues have to be fixed by the developer, nVidia or AMD is not responsible to fix issues with individual games and the architecture is built so they won’t need to. Developer work with graphics API’s to prevent that.

2 Likes

hmm i see more and more mention 457.30.
I’ll uninstall my current latest version with DDU and try this one out

457.30 for my 3070.

· Mainboard – Gigabyte Z390 D

· Memory – 32 Gig PC-2666 DDR4 RAM

· Hard Drive – 1 TB SSD

· Hard Drive – 4000 Gig 7200rpm

· Graphics – 8 GiG GeForce RTX 2070 Super

465.89 driver 30 to 50 FPS dependent on location set on high

The main bottleneck is related to CPU…so, I hardly believe nvidia or amd drivers will affect fps. Normally, GPU almost never hit 40% of usage, wich means that it is not giving what I can give…but there is always a message of “main cpu thread limitation”

457.30 is the last driver that was optimized for the 10 and 20 series cards, 30 series needs a newer driver I think.

1 Like

@MarcG888 that was true for me, too, until the 465.89 ones came out. I get at least on par VR performance (as measured by my primary fps counter, which is the little ocular devices I have called eyes) as the 457.30s, but the airports at night look much more realistic. They’re not this bright shining thing that you could see from the surface of the moon, rather they look very realistic. They do stand out from the surrounding lights, but you gotta be generally looking in the right direction, and the rabbit is bright, but it is IRL, too.

So I’m really liking them, and unless something happens to break 'em (like all of a sudden my performance takes a dump), I won’t be going back.

EDIT: If I wasn’t clear enough about it, I’m running a 2070 Super, too. Though with a pretty stout +175/+1000 OC…