Who is going to work on the SR22?

For all the fans of Cirrus SR22, you’d know that the default MS2020 aircraft is a disappointment. Not only is it a far cry from these available in XPlane11, but the G1000 avionics are severely lacking and this is affecting multiple GA airplanes.

In the XPlane world TorqueSim and Carenado are known for their SR22 releases with the former having hand-downs the best simulation ever for the SR22 down to the small nitty-gritty details. Unfortunately, I asked TorqueSim and they said they have no plans to work on this for MS2020, this leaves Carenado. Are there any other 3rd party developers out there willing to give this airplane the love it deserves?

1 Like

I was hoping that someone would perform some magic like on the CJ4. If I could… Just not smart enough.

The G1000 will eventually be addressed as part of the Working Title Team overhaul, so that will benefit all G1000 installations. It will just take time as noted in the Development Roadmap.

Pretty much what the title says. I love the Bonanza G36 mod but was wondering if there was also one for the Cirrus. I’ve just started a RTW circumnavigation in the G36 but was thinking of switching to the SR22 for the extra speed - but not if the flight model isn’t that great…

1 Like

If memory serves, the SR22 is “locked” with DRM. The flight model is not that great, nor is the model overall. However, Asobo has improved the Cirrus at least once since it was initially released, so hope springs eternal! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Cirrus now operates at POH numbers, so it does fly and act like the 180HP high-performance endorsement aircraft that it’s supposed to be.

What would be great would be an enabling of the Perspective + functions, including checklists, etc. And to fix the exterior lights. But generally, it’s very utilitarian now, and is a nice step up from the Skyhawk.

7 Likes

180HP? I thought the SR22 was 310.

2 Likes

Pardon - 180 kt aircraft. Previously it wouldn’t even break 170 kts.

2 Likes

Plus, it has “High-Power” USB ports and “Automobile-Inspired” ergonomics. :slight_smile:

Read all about it here.

Here’s a good article about the Cirrus accident rate.

Maybe marketing to people who think an airplane is like buying an SUV with wings? I dunno…

1 Like

It’s marketed as an easier to fly than others iairplane, while retaining “sporty” characteristics, and having enhanced safety features like the Chute and the Envelope Protection logic.

Speaking of safety features, it would be great to see the LVL button enabled, but in speaking with the Working Title folks, there’s a bit of a logic dance to emulate that in the sim since it’s directly tied to the autopilot logic. Nothing is easy. But enabling the P+ keyboard would be nice, plus all the performance setting functionality (i.e., weight, runway length, pre-entering DEP/ARR vital stats to generate Vapp speeds) etc.

1 Like

The Icon A5 was also marketed as a jet ski of the skies, and it definitely got off to a rocky start with accident rates.

That being said, there’s no evidence to suggest that the marketing caused the poor safety record for either aircraft. Pilots making really bad decisions and writing checks their aircraft and skills can’t cash are the main issue.

5 Likes

I think pilot training is key. It is probably why insurance rates are so high for the Cirrus.

Learning in a C152 and moving to a C172 is a much slower progression - literally - that gives you a little more time to recover from a mistake. Plus, the Cessnas are truly difficult to spin from a stall.

The SR22 is a high-performance aircraft. A low-time pilot can get into trouble quickly in an SR22.

That says it all… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not to get too off-topic, but I’ve spoken with a few SR pilots, and they get a lot of training including a rigorous decision making process during type qualification as to how and when to pull that chute. It’s not just a matter of “Oh, I’m in trouble, reach for the overhead red handle.” There is a limited window to use that option, and no one is told to give up flying the aircraft.

To be fair, that chute has saved a lot of lives. And yes, it does pass through the pilot’s head of how much it’s going to hurt financially to put the aircraft down this way. But lives matter more in the calculus, and that’s why it’s a very useful safety tool - one of many in the toolbox of aircraft features, pilot training and experience.

6 Likes

Not be “that guy”, but high performance is above 200HP.

Also, to the OP, I’d bet on the designers rather than modders for accuracy. Ask any real pilot, NO airplane gets book numbers.

3 Likes

Already corrected. See two posts down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pilots are such dorks. :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting article. I wonder if people just got complacent because they thought “the parachute can save me”?

Thanks. So, just curious, what’s the deal with DRM? Why are some shipped aircraft DRM, yet others not? Case in point is being able to download the G36, C152 and Caravan EX mods…

1 Like

SR-22 is part of either Premium or Deluxe package (can’t recall which). To prevent unauthorized reuse, they’re encrypted. There is a WishlList item to decrypt the configuration files which most mod authors would use, without compromising the DRM.

It’s possible to mod a Premium or Deluxe aircraft, but the effort is near Herculean. Dakfly’s Longitude Flight Dynamics Performance Mod is the premier example for this sim.

2 Likes

Interesting. So it’s not impossible, just long-winded.