Who is hyped for WU6?

So, who thinks WU6 will bring us back some great visuals that have been reduced lately?

For me the sim is running great. The only issue that is just killing the immersion for me is the popins/draw distance. Just can’t stand buildings and trees popping in and out. And on top of that looking at the distance to see blurry textures.

They say this issue was caused by Asobo reducing the memory limit and that WU6 should give us now an option/slider to control how much RAM can be used based on pc specs.

I sure hope this is the case. I have 64 GB RAM and currently the sim only uses about 8-10 RAM.

Man I hope WU6 fixes a lot.

31 Likes

Yes, me too.

Think i’ll be taking a stiff drink first though before I update to steady the nerves.

34 Likes

I’m always afraid of these updates. I know they fix things, but then we go backwards and break things too. It’s a viscous circle. If they fix more than they break, I’ll call that a win in my books.

28 Likes

Here’s hoping that slider setting for the pop-in effect does the job. :wink:

6 Likes

Yeah I feel ya. Asobo is starting to get a bad reputation. I know it’s a very big project and very complex, but still one has to wonder how such patches come out with so many broken things.

Hopefully they learned this and it’s the reason they decided to postpone WU6 original release date.

16 Likes

My aspirations are somewhat lower than yours.

If I can still launch the game and fly with decent fps then that will be a win for me.

PS: meant to be a bit of a light hearted comment and hopefully not taken too seriously. I am actually looking forward to the update but have slight concerns based on what past updates have brought us :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

What are your system specs?

The fact it was postponed gives me some confidence but hey let’s wait!

7 Likes

Joking apart and being totally serious for a moment, I am actually getting great fps (40 to 50) at high/ultra settings. I personally have no complaints either with the scenery. I do genuinely view the updates with some trepidation though.

My specs: i5 7600k, 2070S, 48 gb ram, all three over clocked, water cooled. Fairly old system but performs great in the sim :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have a AMD3900XT, 32GB ram, Nvidia 2080 super, and 4 TB of storage between SSD/nvdme

Hopeful, but I can’t get excited.

I really need them to restore the turbulence, lighting, volumetrics, etc.

11 Likes

I’m not “hyped” but I am interested to see what’s inside.

fingers crossed I get to keep my beloved fps.

it’ll bring lots to the table, likely a few hiccups too but that’s normal.

so, hyped? no. interested? yes.

keep ones expectations in check.

5 Likes

Looking forward to WU6 greatly as I love flying through the mountains of Switzerland and Austria. If they actually fix some of the messups caused by SU5 that will be a bonus for me.

I hooe WU6 goes smoothly and nothing gets broken this time, but past experiences have taught me that is very unlikely.

One thing I hope is that WU6 won’t break any of the Switzerland and Austria freeware airports I have, but I guess that the improved DEM might have some effect on them.

every project I’ve ever seen with a forum has folk proclaiming dev X is getting a bad rep, it doesn’t matter a whit and largely not true.

it’s already a sucess but some folk will always find a reason to hate the devs. it’s part and parcel of public projects unfortunately.

I’m not concerned about the devs at all, imho they’re doing really well for just over a year after release.

ymmv!

edit, ps im not aiming this directly at you!

7 Likes

I think that this is a pretty important update for ASOBO given what happened in SU5 and I am guessing that ASOBO realise this by them extending the original timeline.

If the update is reasonably hassle free and sorts out a lot of issues then I think that it will be seen as a success by a lot of us here on the forum.

I do have a few concerns though not least because this also (like SU5) seems very ambitious and seems to be covering a lot of things.

I truly hope that they haven’t bitten off more than they can chew. I think this will be a massive update once again and I wonder if it would have been better to do it over two or three updates rather than just the one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I agree, but they still need to get some critic. Remember, Asobo had stated before SU5 that no visuals were going to be reduced in order to get better performance. And yet, they dumbed down the memory usage for PC users.

So they do kind of bring it upon themselves.

4 Likes

To answer the question as to whether I am hyped about it or not. I will reserve judgement and withhold my answer until after I have used the updated product.

2 Likes

Hyped as hell, except for the download size, which i expect to be enormous again… can’t wait to check out the Alps areas around Switzerland and Austria… also very curious about photogrammetry/LOD improvements too!

And seriously, what about that Matterhorn? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Question.

Do you simply just drag and drop all items out of the community folder to desktop for example and once updated drop them back in?

Affermative.

2 Likes