Who is satisfied with FS2020 and enjoys this great product? Hint: NOT who is dissatisfied

Great thread, and I too am enjoying this massively. Here’s my round the world log if you want to follow along (half way along the Amazon from it’s source to the Atlantic right now, so hardly taking a straight route!).

Picking up on a couple of points from the last few posts:

Many of the known issues don’t seem to affect me - e.g. the VFR bug (I actually have that option disabled from the in game menu as I found it adds about 5-10 FPS to my experience), the Azure bug, not being able to have the AI deal with ATC etc. I keep the build vanilla, have NEVER touched the game files and empty the community folder pre updates. I also don’t skip the load screens/press a key - just in case, you know?

I’ve been exclusivley flying GA, but even then I’ve found out more about IFR flying, ILS, VOR, frequencies, navigation, approach patterns and stuff than I ever knew before (I’m a total noob)

I like to get the flight plan set up, do the take off, get on the flight plan then hand over to the AP to follow the route whilst I sight see out the windows. And then I try to do the landing…which I definitely need a lot more practice at.

Just checked and I’ve got 596 screenshots accumulated so far from my round the world trip that is now my desktop wallpaper folder. Sometimes I look at the desktop shots as they come up randomly and the pics look like those shots you see when you start up the PC on the login page for windows they are so realistic.

Just on that, MS should put a “fly here” button on those windows startup images - click that and it will load you into the sim at the location where the picture was taken when you get into windows. That would be awesome!

I’ve got no issues with the live weather. I don’t need it to be up to the minute live. As long as it is something resembling real life, and also (most importantly) it changes and is dynamic like in real life, it doesn’t matter to me if it is delayed or not that accurate. I mean I’ve no idea what the weather is like right now in Manaus, Brazil, so what does it matter if it’s a little inaccurate (but I’m sure it matters to some, and I’m also sure it will be improved).

One big thing for me is that it is all in one place if you know what I mean. I experimented a little with xplane. I found it really difficult to get into though. Hard to penetrate for the beginner, and then it looked awful - the planes looked OK, but the scenery was just repeating bland tiles everywhere with boxes for buildings. If you like your airliners at 30,000ft, then probably sufficient, but I couldn’t even get the engines started on one of those :slight_smile:.

And then when you think Ok, I’ll download some freeware stuff to improve the scenery, you discover that you’ve got to make sure it loads in a certain order, that one scenery doesn’t conflict with another, you have to edit some loading file thing, and after all that it still looks like a 5 year old has drawn it, You start to think why bother?

And then you look at payware - so that TrueEarth stuff looks good. OK, I might splash out on that a bit…yeah, so that’ll be £35 or so…for one third of England! I mean at 30,000ft and 500knts, I’ll pass over that in 30 minutes or something (once I learn to fly an airliner!).

I did a quick calc the other day, and if you had to buy the scenery for the whole world (landmass only - all 510,000,000Km2) at that rate, it would cost about £170,000. TrueEarth South of England is 107,000Km2 and takes 127Gb of data. So you’d need something like 600Tb of disk space. at £100 a Tb that’s another £60,000 of storage capacity! And that is even if they did all that and you could even download it without melting your router.

But guess what - all of that is available out of the box for MSFS. It may not be as completely accurate as TrueEarth and there are glitches and errors in it, but really there is no comparison.

And then there are the continual improvements with Japan just being the start. Navblue and charts still to come. I thought the developer interview the other day was great. Sure they could have been a bit more specific about some timelines and clearer in a few areas and probably didn’t help themselves as much as they could have done, but still their passion and commitment is there. You sensed their excitement about what’s possible and what they want to do with the sim. I think they are as frustrated as we are with the bugs that people are having as it’s getting in the way of them (and some of us) getting to the really exciting bits.

So all of this makes it really easy for me to accept and workaround some of the glitches and bugs that do exist (although as I said, many don’t seem to impact me). The positives far exceed the negatives. I’m really glad they launched it when they did - although Paradox is missing out on another CK3 player as a result (like an earlier poster!) - that icon is sitting gathering dust on my desktop.

As an aside to those complaning about the load times, my load time on MSFS inncluding the splash screens is about 2mins 50s. For CK3 - take a guess? 3mins 22s! And it runs my RTX 2080 super flat out - just like MSFS.

So it’s pretty good really :grin:

5 Likes