Why calculate fuel?

Awesome!! Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.

Look at VORs. They use magnetic north as a reference. They look tilted on your chart.

You should be looking for these lines:

Question, what would a take off or landing in a Cessna 172 that is fully loaded in both fuel and passenger luggage capacity look like in MSFS2020? Would it be realistic?

Correct.

True track → variation → magnetic track → wind correction → magnetic heading → deviation → compass heading.

Planning for an IFR flight is a little easier as all tracks are already magnetic (and you don’t need to measure them with a plotter).

One little detail, you’ll need to measure the true track at the middle of your leg, VFR charts are Lambert Conical Projections on which a straight line resembles more or less a great circle, if you look carefully you will find that the meridians are slightly converging towards the north pole (or south pole in SH). You will find that measuring the true track at the beginning and end of your leg that there will be a difference, measuring the track in the middle will give you an average (+/- rhumbline track).

1 Like

Performance wise I did a test, comparing the take-off run with the POH performance data and it was surprisingly realistic. But that was some time ago, I don’t know if it is still the case as they keep tweaking the flight model.

1 Like

Thanks!! I haven’t thought of this before.

One little datail, that if missed, the outcome could be a huge deviation!!
resulting in maybe getting lost and therefor more fuelburn, which you didn’t account for.

of course, this applies only when crossing loooong legs, short legs, not so much.
But that doesn’t say it is less important regardless when flying short legs.

Thank you @anon50268670 for this so called “little detail”
I like the little details and sure will keep this one in mind! :smile:

Exactly, on short legs its probably neglectable.

Not trying to overload you with information, but I went through some of the lesson material I have written in the past and took the slides from the basic navigation presentation out for your reference (warning, its a whole book :sweat_smile:). There is way more where this came from so if there is anything else you wanna know let me know.

5 Likes

Wow, much appreciated!
Thank you so much!!

I think I found my Isogonal lines :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Great, now time to fill this navlog and go flying!

1 Like
2 Likes

Because the most the aircraft is weight, the high the fuel burnt is, and fuel cost money.

Using only the fuel necessery to trip, plus some for alternate airport and more 30 min of flight (for safety sake), save money to use in other things.

this is it, roughly

1 Like

Today i filled out a navlog for an hour flight in a cessna 152.
According to my calculations I filled the bird with 16 gallons of avgas.

During my flight I witnessed my left fuel gauge was the only one working. The right one stayed at its level at the moment I took off.

Odd behaviour in my opinion.

Anyways my stress level intensified as my flight goes on. With an ETE remaining of 15 minutes and my left fuel gauge was pressing against the red bar, it was dumb luck I made it to my intentional airport.:sweat_smile:

Did you check your fuel selector?

Yep, there is none, just a single switch for fuel on or off.

I came across this solution which solves the issue till the devs fix it.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/c152-only-use-left-tank-by-default/225819/21?u=boobbuster007

To give you guys an idea, this is how I plan my flights lately. I can tell you that doing it this way adds a whole other dimension to your flying experience.
For me, this is much more fun than just flying and follow a gps course.

Once I’m done in the UK I’m thinking about wallpaper my wall with sectional charts of the USA😁

Happy flying you all :airplane: :wink:

1 Like

First time i’ve seen CPU temps on a navlog… :joy:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Always good to keep track of things :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.