Why is Poland missed out in World Update 14?

Hello there.

Normally i dont do this Kind of thread but as beeing born in Poland i was so happy to see Eastern Europe as next WU…but BAM…czech republic, hungary, slovakia, croatia but NO Poland. I am very frustrated right now…

Just why Asobo??

4 Likes

It was announced as an eastern central Europe update. Perhaps eastern northern Europe will be next.

5 Likes

For the same reason they haven’t done the other 70% of the world. There are a million other people in regions as yet untouched by the MSFS world who could ask the same question. Finite resources, is basically your answer.

7 Likes

I was also rooting for Poland and an included EPWA by Drzewiecki Design ;), but I’m sure we’ll get there eventually.

4 Likes

Also likely because there is not enough source data accurate enough to improve on the “stock” scenery.

1 Like

I bought an other version of EPWA Okecie that was available in the marketplace its pretty good i think.

Well they could at least make Warsaw Photometric and maybe Krakow… i dont see a problem there

This is a whole other case… if they announce “central Europe” as WU and make the effort to bring it to the sim … then poland for me is a must country in it to be in this geographic WU. Its a very strange decision. In Skandinavia WU they also just dont missed out Sweden for example… even when there was no photometric city in it.

1 Like

It could be as simple as there being difficulty in obtaining the required data. We know the PG wasn’t included in the last WU, because the weather was awful on the day the team were due to go up in the chopper to take photos and gather data.

As I said, everyone will be rooting for their own countries in the sim, and it’s just not possible to please everyone. To you, Poland is more important than Czechia but to Czechs, they’ll prefer their country to Poland. I’m sure it’ll come, be it in this sim or the 2024 version.

3 Likes

As others have written earlier, the data may not be available. I remember Jorg explaining this in more detail in one of the development streams. I am sure it will be covered sooner or later, maybe along with the Baltic countries.

I also expected Poland to be part of WU14, but we got some more southern countries instead - those are nice places as well, and Slovenia will be popular with the glider community for sure

4 Likes

The last update was Texas so as I used to live there thought ‘great!’ - and then found it only included a few places, and did not include Dallas or surrounds. So the hype is just that really - the reality can be disappointing.

2 Likes

From what I read on flightsim.to it messes up the ILS approaches, is that true?

Google has all major Polish cities in very high quality 3D, so it is there.

3 Likes

Microsoft had to record them from scratch to Bing Maps they dont use any google data.

1 Like

At first I also was little disappointed, as calling the update “Central and Eastern Europe” and not including Poland is like updating Rome and skipping Vatican :wink:

But then I think Poland is large enough it deserves it’s own dedicated WU.

[Edit: replaced incorrect use of term photogrammetry to ground imagery here]
As for problem with access to data possible explaination - it is a bit strange as there are plenty high quality data/aerial imagery available for Poland and MSFS currently uses often some very old and ugly aerial photos for Poland - for example I filed a bug: Please fix snow photogrammetry in Poland at 53.889600 17.907586
where area I happen to fly often in RL has large ugly snow covered imagery, while bing maps at the same area have good looking summer photos.
Same issue is in Bieszczady mountains area.
Updating ground imagery alone to current bing state would be a huge improvement by itself.

Well… We will wait patiently :slight_smile: as Jorg said in previous Dev Stream someday we will get there.

On a brighter side the teaser mentioned updating Tatry Mountains - hope at least DEM won’t be limited only to slovakian part of it :slight_smile:

Also I am happy for including Slovenia - hope Church on lake Bled and surrounding mountains will look marvelous - indeed well known area in gliding community :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Google is not Microsoft. :slight_smile: And how the guys explained in one of the previous dev streams, the task is actually more complex than “Google has it”. They need to source the different data sets, elevation, aerial, ortho for the cities etc., and combine those together for a world update. As I understand, those data sets are not coming from a single source.

I understand your disappointment about missing out Poland this time. I was there a few weeks ago, and it is indeed a very nice place. I am sure it will get its well deserved world update.

5 Likes

I think you should read about photogrammetry because your bug report and this post don’t make sense. A satellite imagery is not the same as photogrammetry. Two different technologies used for two different things.

3 Likes

Oh gosh now I am embarrased, indeed I confused simple satellite or rather aerial ground imagery (which is what I want to be updated) with photogrammetry. Sorry and thanks for pointing it out. Edited my post to reduce confusion.

1 Like

I understand the disappointment, but hopefully it’s something that will happen in the future. When you look at this upcoming WU there’s 10 cities across 6 countries, but there’s a lot more options available for all these countries. Croatia will feature Split and Dubrovnik, but there’s also the capital of Zagreb, the coastal city of Pula, with its Roman amphitheatre, etc.

Unfortunately there’s only so much they can do, in the amount of time allotted for developing each world update, and there’s still a LOT of counties/places that have yet to get the world update treatment. I’m sure Poland will be one of them, at some point.

Hmmm, Poland is huge all by itself, lots of ground to cover! It also borders a conflict zone, so maybe timing is just as important as the availability of recent/quality imagery? Just thinking out loud here: One hopes that our great game is not also a tool for questionable, non-recreational purposes?

1 Like