Why isn't autopilot a known issue?

USR, is that going to be fixed? They made up random points for the autopilot to follow???

I just recently got the bravo yoke, but since I also have the multipanel, I have been using it instead of the yoke. Nevertheless, I just tried with the yoke, and did not see any issues with engaging or disengaging the AP with a button, in (stock) TBM.

That’s most likely the problem.
You can’t engage the AP with the button IRL, only disengage.
Hence you should assign the disengage command.
I’ll recheck when I’m back home.

Hmm, could be. Did not even think about it, but I can engage the AP with a yoke button. However when I disengage it, I only get the red AP blinking, the FMA does not show that it is engaged. Also the plane really does not behave as if it were.

That is interesting. I have large issues with AP on most stock A/C. I cannot totally prove it, but I am of the opinion that it reared its ugly head after SU5. I guess I am going to take a day and make specific notes of AP issue(s) on each A/C. So far C172 (no G1000) and a purchased PA-44 Seminole work ok. Zendesk submitted in two instances so far.

Anybody noticed this weird bug?

Some more information:

1.In this case you are using the wrong command. It’s essential that you can not engage the AP with the yoke button, hence to correct command is set autopilot disengage

2.With the default TBM you never got a red blinking AP message. You are using a mod.
When using the mouse to click on the AP button I get an amber AP FMA after 5sec (which is wrong) and it stays on forever.
Using the AP disengage command, the green AP engaged FMA stays on.

3.That’s exactly the problem with the default unmodded TBM.
The AP isn’t engaged, but the FMA says that it is.

Just checked, it’s the identical bug with the Longitude.

Yes, there is only one button binding option in the settings and that’s called “toggle”.

Strange. Are you sure that you are using the correct filter?
The disengage command isn’t a toggle command.

This is the only AP button binding I see in the settings.

While the autopilot, when used with an IFR Low flight plan is definitely improved, the one glitch that I still find, especially with the Airbus 320, is that when landing, the aircraft seems to be lined up with the runway but then veers off and lands to the side of it which in real life would likely be a sure crash.

With the filter set to ALL this is only one option? Confirm the filter isnt’ set to ASSIGNED?
That’s what mine like looks like and if you look as the scroll line you can see that this is only a small part of AP controls.

At which height does it veer off? Suddenly, gradually?
Altough it doesn’t explain your problem, no default aircraft in MSFS can perform an autoland.
You have to disengage the AP latest at ~ 200ft.

Aah, you are right! Thanks for that. I have the red button on the yoke (button 4) now mapped to AP off:

Works as expected, turns the AP off, but does not turn it back on.

1 Like

Oh, btw, was not using the TBM mod for these checks, removed it from community on purpose. It’s the WT’s g3000 mod that fixes the AP showing even when disengaged. Since they are working very closely with WT, it should be included in the core at some point. I think everyone should be using it instead of the stock g3000. Asobo will not be fixing the stock one, as this is coming to the sim anyway.

So this is a fun one I had just now. Thought I’d add it to the discussion. If there is a better place to report an incident with AP, point me to it.

Flying the Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000. Making my way to enter the pattern at the crosswind leg about 1500’ above ground. Turned off AP, but it didn’t seem to let go of the elevators. Except when I extreme pitched…sometimes? I managed to get some semblance of straight and level back and somehow was still at the same height. So thinking on my feet I decided to use the throttle for pitch control, and closed the throttle completely to lose 500’ quickly. Having done that I suddenly regained control of the elevators and made my way round for a very smooth two bounce landing (beginner here).

I have noticed that AP will set my elevator trim to maintain altitude and/or descent rate, which is normal. However if you turn off AP when the trim is still somewhat extreme, you must go back and set the trim more neutral, or you will be fighting it the whole way down.

1 Like

I like your thinking. But this was not that.

If I tried to pitch up, it pitched down. If I tried to pitch down, it pitched up. And not like a normal physical correction. Like a piece of software that was still running kind of way.

I don’t know why the auto pilot code would have missed letting go of the elevators but I suspect what happened when I closed the throttle was that the still running elevator auto pilot control threw an error it could not resolve, which would have then forced it to return to a default state, which would have then been given by the autoPilotEngaged state returning false. Which would explain why, without touching any trim controls, I regained full control of the aircraft.

But your suggestion would definitely make sense in a real world scenario. I will try to remember to do some experimenting to see if I can replicate the problem, and to test your trim theory to see how far that applies. Even if I can’t replicate the auto pilot problem, it’s still a good exercise in aircraft handling. So, thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

Sounds like some kind of assistance is fighting your input.
I can’t confirm @BigCow74s observation and it doesn’t happen IRL either.