Why isn't autopilot a known issue?

Relax folks.

Explain your positions clearly and respectfully. Let’s not get personal here. Final call.

Autopilot functions are, without a doubt in spite of those who have been able to use some of them, an issue still. Some aircraft have AP buttons that don’t light when activated, making it impossible to tell if the function is on or off. Other glitches, like trying to dial in an altitude or heading with the mouse cursor moving from them because the cockpit is bouncing around from normal turbulence, are also annoying. Past versions of MSFS, even if less accurate, had very functional and user friendly AP’s. Now if some of you are OK with the glitches, that’s your right. But these things need to be fixed.

No they are not. I am using AP all the time, with a lot of different aircrafts and the only thing I have seen is the turnback when replanning the arrival. Autopilot functions are working well, save for minor hiccups like that.

It’s a major bug if the FMA display a green AP engaged message, while the AP is actually disengaged because the sim handles the messages in a different way depending on the command you are using to disengage it.

If you are choosing the correct way to disengage it you get a delayed amber AP caution message which never goes away, which isn’t a serious bug, but pretty annoying.

1 Like

Never seen that AP is still engaged in FMA when I have disengaged it. How to reprodce?

Not near my PC, but AFAIR e.g. in the TBM when you are using a joystick button.

Hmm, ok. I don’t have the AP linked to a joystick, when I’m not using the logitech multipanel, I’m controlling everything with the mouse. Sounds to me like this special case with peripherals doesn’t work, but standard ones do.

Edit: I can’t even map AP to my joystick (Thrustmaster Hotas One).

I see. I’m always using the most realistic commands possible, which is in the AP disengage case a button on the yoke/stick.
(Gladiator NXT / previously T16000M)

USR, is that going to be fixed? They made up random points for the autopilot to follow???

I just recently got the bravo yoke, but since I also have the multipanel, I have been using it instead of the yoke. Nevertheless, I just tried with the yoke, and did not see any issues with engaging or disengaging the AP with a button, in (stock) TBM.

That’s most likely the problem.
You can’t engage the AP with the button IRL, only disengage.
Hence you should assign the disengage command.
I’ll recheck when I’m back home.

Hmm, could be. Did not even think about it, but I can engage the AP with a yoke button. However when I disengage it, I only get the red AP blinking, the FMA does not show that it is engaged. Also the plane really does not behave as if it were.

That is interesting. I have large issues with AP on most stock A/C. I cannot totally prove it, but I am of the opinion that it reared its ugly head after SU5. I guess I am going to take a day and make specific notes of AP issue(s) on each A/C. So far C172 (no G1000) and a purchased PA-44 Seminole work ok. Zendesk submitted in two instances so far.

Anybody noticed this weird bug?

Some more information:

1.In this case you are using the wrong command. It’s essential that you can not engage the AP with the yoke button, hence to correct command is set autopilot disengage

2.With the default TBM you never got a red blinking AP message. You are using a mod.
When using the mouse to click on the AP button I get an amber AP FMA after 5sec (which is wrong) and it stays on forever.
Using the AP disengage command, the green AP engaged FMA stays on.

3.That’s exactly the problem with the default unmodded TBM.
The AP isn’t engaged, but the FMA says that it is.

Just checked, it’s the identical bug with the Longitude.

Yes, there is only one button binding option in the settings and that’s called “toggle”.

Strange. Are you sure that you are using the correct filter?
The disengage command isn’t a toggle command.

This is the only AP button binding I see in the settings.

While the autopilot, when used with an IFR Low flight plan is definitely improved, the one glitch that I still find, especially with the Airbus 320, is that when landing, the aircraft seems to be lined up with the runway but then veers off and lands to the side of it which in real life would likely be a sure crash.