Why isn't autopilot a known issue?

Just a quick question on autopilot problem. How come the autopilot problems are not listed under "Known issues " for the latest update of the sim. Ever since that update, the autopilot has not worked properly. Issues such as “porpoising”, live pause problems, not staying on ils etc. etc. have plagued the sim. Will these be fixed in the next update. I can not find a straight answer to this question.

Thank you

10 Likes

They already said that it is a work in progress and its already been improved.
Vnav is not implemented in smaller aircrafts and sometimes the ap engages full trim up or down when activated (although if you disagengae the ap and retrim manually everything shoud be fine and you can reengage the ap).

Apart from that the so called bugs seem to be related to bad aircraft configuration. Dolphoning happens when using FLC whith incorrect combination of speed and vspeed. Autopilot not engaging when Ap+trim switch is not pushed in the tbm930 is working as intended. ILS and RNAV approach, GS following are working for me, however I’ m using navigraph navdatas. Live pause, I think is not related to the ap but yes it is broken.

All in all, I think that ap is not so bad except for lack of vnav in smaller a/c.

4 Likes

Ok, please take a flight in DA62, from EKRN to EKCH low altitude IFR, ILS 30.

Good luck, then come back and repeat “GS following are working for me”

1 Like

Ok I’ll try

Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong then. I am not using the FLC. This has occurred in the Beach Bonanza, the Ovation and the Longitude. The ap, altitude and the nav will all be set and the plane will be cruising along fine and all of a sudden I will get the radical movements increase and decrease in altitude, “dolphoning”. There is no overspeed or over torque so I still am at a loss as to what is wrong. I’m glad that is still being considered as “a work in progress”. Any other suggestions would be a help.

Thanks

1 Like

I just noticed that I could change the pitch trim while in Live pause. I was trying to stabilize my speed so that it didn’t stall after I disengage Live Pause which the sim has done sometimes.

I just did and no issue (pfd freeze just before first approach waypoint but that’s another problem).
I set nav1 manually to 108.9 (navigraph datas) and the CDI automatically switches to nav1 before last turn. Then I press approach and the a/c automatically catches loc and G/S. Reduce speed, set flaps, the aircraft followed the gs right to the end.

I must say I didn’t use FLC for this flight, just V/S (+600fps climb don’t know about descent as it was during the pfd freez) and no dolphoning.

2 Likes

It must be the manual thing then because I’ll have tried this twice and the same result, can’t start the ILS.

I’ll try with a manual setting of nav1 to 108.9 to see if the workaround is to set it manually in flight, rather than use the preflight planer in-game.

It is hard to describe the many problems with the GA autopilot. I have NO mods of any kind.

Easy example - AP suddenly turns itself off while in level flight. VS and FLC buttons work and altitude/VS can be assigned. But AP cannot be reengaged. HDG/NAV/APR cannot be engaged. Avionics master On/Off does NOT turn off/recycle avionics so from that point on the AP is unusable.

Another - On a heading of (for example) 250° with AP engaged and HDG engaged. GPS shows bearing to current waypoint is 252°. I click NAV (with CDI set to GPS) and AP turns LEFT and makes a 380° degree counter clockwise standard rate turn to 220°. It then turns right and makes a clockwise turn to 265°, etc back and forth for about another minute until it settles on the 252° course to the waypoint.

I doubt that is the way it is supposed to work.

2 Likes

also be sure to switch the CDI to nav1 before pressing approach if it didn’t change automatically.

The first problem could be related to live a/c liveries not set to generic or controller buttons issues ?
I don’t know about your other problem, maybe insufficent speed to turn without stall but I also experienced this kind of weird behaviour sometimes. However when trying to reproduce I usually found out that I was doing something wrong (for example Ap+trim switch avoiding ap to engage in the tbm930).

it worked, manual punching in the numbers might be the workaround for now. So the real issues is the pre-flight planer then?

"Good luck, then come back and repeat “GS following are working for me”

So that fixed your GS issue?

I think that ILS freq are not set automatically. It adds to the immersion if you have navigraph otherwise I don’t knwo how you can find these numbers.

I experience the same issues. Plus, if I disengage the AP, sometimes the plane goes crazy as far as pitch or roll. Yet some users say the AP is fine… ???

This is something I consider “unforgiveable”. I understand testing and missing some details- a wrong ILS frequency or a missing landmark or FPS being different on a particular system. But how do you miss these autopilot problems (and yet still release a flight sim)? But that’s another thread and it’s been beaten to death so I’ll stop there.

2 Likes

I also tried, and my PFD froze just before the first approach waypoint as well. This issue might be location-based.

1 Like

Yes I got a loc on th AP/app and the GS locked nicely for a good landing.

1 Like

It did before last patch for sure.

Then its a bad location for me, I bought the CPH add-on (since it the city I live in) and this is where my flying is will be based from initially. DA62 is a wonderful aircraft, one of the very best small aircraft’s in game.

Eventually I’ll go for the Airbus, but not until auto landing is implemented in a stage where it can reliably auto land. For now the two AP’s do not work to enable automatic landing.

Agreed. The TBM is my absolute favourite, followed closely by the DA62 and then the Cessnas.

1 Like