Wifi and Frame Rates

If you ever do need / want to expand you can get a simple 1GB 5+ port switch for next to nothing at any electronics store.

No configuration required (they are unmanaged for home use) just plug the power in. Plug Ethernet from router to switch. Then Ethernet from switch to your devices.

2 Likes

The best solution is to use your own router, rather than one provided by your ISP.

I’m not aware of a scenario where this would be possible? How would you even get your own router to connect to your ISP’s back end for connection?

Sounds good to the initiated.
I hesitate to recommend that route to the average user, however.
The result of Avg Joe whipping down to the nearest dept store and picking up a router to replace the ISP’s provided hardware is days of frustration, hours of being on hold with the ISP tech line. Numerous calls to the computer geek friend and likely an inability to even Google the problem because they can’t connect to the internet.

In general, the avg home user has no idea what a DNS is and even less idea what to type into those boxes. I have had friends even call to tell me that the router they bought asked for a user name and password and they hadn’t programmed one in, “now what do I do?”

For those of us versed in network idiom, we get the freedom to set up our networks the way we want and tune them for best performance. For users that don’t know the difference between WAN and LAN, suggesting they DIY their network because it is so much better than using the stock equipment is nothing short of cruel.

2 Likes

Most routers will acquire their ISP-facing settings via DNS. This is definitely the case with Spectrum (previously Time Warner Road Runner). I have been using my own router and cable modem on that system for over 15 years.

Perhaps there may be some ISPs that require that customers use only ISP-provided equipment, but I have not heard of that. In New York State where I live, that would not even be legal. NYS PSC regulations require that any cable internet subscriber have the option to own their own cable modem.

An ISP will of course happily provide equipment (for a monthly additional fee), but you can get far better and more capable modems and routers from Best Buy or other sources.

1 Like

Learn something new everyday :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s the difference between ISP’s in Canada (where I reside) and the US.

Thanks for the insight!

Though I certainly have the requisite knowledge to configure my router exactly as I want it - it would have been 100 percent plug and play if I did not have that knowledge. The router is set up by default to acquire its ISP-side settings automatically, and has a generic SSID on the WiFi side.

@skypilotYTS, @HalberQuacky is correct. I am also unaware of ANY ISPs that you cannot connect to with your own equipment. I also live in Canada. The provider has control over the connection of the ‘service’ to your home, the end. Once it comes through the wall, you have the option of using their equipment or yours.

This question makes the rest of my response easy.
You don’t. If that was your first question then I strongly suggest that you let your provider handle the modem and router installation and setup. Do Not mess with the setup. If there is something your would like changed, contact your provider and have them send over a tech.

I would say that anyone can purchase a router and install it themselves.

The internet connection is controlled from the router and not from the ISP.

Routers come with their own Application that you can install on your PC.
They have plenty of detail info and how to connect to your ISP
and can automatically connect to your ISP.

riigghhtt…

and instruction manuals are always clear and concise…

Just a guess Ron but you don’t have a lot of non-tech, left brained friends?

I have fixed router issues where they plugged a phone cord into the ethernet connection because, “it looked the same and was way cheaper”.

Tech is not easy for everyone. Network tech is easy for even fewer.

If you want to use a cabled connection but your router is too far away from your PC/Xbox/Laptop you can always use powerline adapters.
These are fairly cheap now, about £30 for a pair.
They utilise the mains wiring in your house so you just plug them into the power sockets and you get ethernet style connections wherever you want them.

I have been using them for over 10 years and they work very well for me.

My main PC is connected directly to the router with a 2 metre Cat 5E cable and I get the full 300mbps I pay for. If I plug into one of the powerline adapters elsewhere in the house I get about 280mbps. Wi fi at the same part of the house is only 100 mbps and with much higher latency.

1 Like

My Linksys Router PC App was excellent.

Tech support is not very friendly and you get a lot of those non-tech
persons who are just reading their supplied docs who have hardly any idea what you are asking assistance for.
Step 1: Ask the caller their name.

I don’t disagree with your statements.

My point is not for a non-tech person.
A person knows nothing about a PC until that person buys or builds one.
That person knows nothing about a router until that person buys one.

My point is for a person that is on this Forum.

Sorry to belabor the point, but again you assume that if a user can use a basic website like this forum, they have some idea what an IP is.

My mom can contact me via Messenger but gets confused every time someone texts her via SMS, cause she knows there is a notification but can’t find the message in Messenger.

You have been on the forum long enough to have seen those posts where you want to recommend they just unplug the computer and return it because they have no business using one.
The simplest computer task for you may just cause a complete meltdown for some. We are still a long way from the day that tech is like breathing.

1 Like

I’ve been using computers since the Tandy 1000 as well as simulators back to FS1. I’ve never taken the time to learn the inner workings of any computers really. I could manage files with FSX and basic things like that but it just never interested me. If I need to fix something I’ll Google it and mess around with it but I don’t get in too deeply. I’m just a typical end-user.

1 Like

Fine.
If you want to encourage people to not buy or try to improve their connection by getting a new/faster router, then you have.

The people on this Forum are the tech savvy.

more to my point Ron, I am more about cautioning users that may wish to attempt some of the more technical tips offered on this forum.

We have the full range of abilities here, from expert to raw beginner. From ‘comes naturally’ to ‘can’t get the clock on the microwave to stop blinking’.

It is important that we don’t lead the beginner into a frustrating outcome trying something we think is easy.

When it comes to attempting anything recommended here, each user must determine their own level of comfort and experience. If you are uncomfortable trying something, ask for help. Users with more experience are always here to help.

Where are you based to get such speeds?

Around Louisville, Ky USA.
Spectrum Internet

I had no idea there still was ‘bad’ Internet connections, especially in the US (I know some countries like Brazil still have ■■■■■■ internet for example).
This upload speed is awful :sob:

Maybe it is off topic, but I read in an old post here that a VPN could improve internet speed, because it overcomes the ISP… or something like this. My point is: VPN can make internet “better”.