Will many Simmers switch to Xbox in the long term?

I am asking this because it was the case for me. I used every version of MSFS since the early 90s. The only reason why I never touched a Console before was that MSFS was PC only. When MSFS 2020 was released I had the choice to either build a new High End PC or wait for the Xbox Version and buy a much cheaper Series X. Since I have a computer that is perfectly fine for anything but playing High End games I chose to give the Xbox a try. And what can I say, I am absolutely amazed by what I got. With a Hotas, Rudderpedals and also Key and Mouse attached it is a completely amazing Sim experience. Also more and more addons start showing up in the Marketplace. I wonder how many people will switch to Console in the future because they don’t want to invest huge amounts into the newest Graphics Cards etc

14 Likes

Honestly? I don’t think many will make the switch. I mean, most simmers aren’t restricted to just one simulator. How many sims are likely to come to console in the short and medium term, or make a console version available? X-Plane, DCS, IL-2
 none have console versions planned. Then there’s the fact that many flight simmers are also into other types such as racing sims, again most of which do not have a console version.

So, if you solely want to play MSFS in particular then sure, the XBox version is an option for those who don’t have the latest PC hardware. But for more general simulation use a decent PC remains the only really viable option.

I think bringing MSFS to console is more about broadening it’s audience than making people switch. If it proves highly successful and retains a large following on console, then perhaps we’ll see more sims on console in the distant future. Maybe some of the current sims will even consider a console port, though I personally doubt it due to the massive technical challenge it would bring
 as well as the huge uproar the diversion of resources would create in their established communities. (Just look as the anti-console sentiment for a sim one year old that was always coming to console, let alone one that’s been around as a PC-exclusive for years already!)

12 Likes

Nope for me.Have no interest in a Xbox at all.PC only for me.

27 Likes

Simmers won’t switch for one reason.
Consoles are limited to marketplace items. Pc can mod forever, or until MS encrypts everything.

15 Likes

NEVER
 I’m a Simmer not a Gamer :smiley:

27 Likes

Yes I’ve switched and am loving it so far and can’t see myself going back to PC. I recognise that there are limits to the platform in terms of add ons etc but I’m happy to trade that in for smooth performance and the plug and play convenience.

The graphics look amazing to me compared to what I was getting on my PC as well (although I was only running a mid range PC to be fair). Pics below in case anyone is interested to see how it looks on Xbox Series X.

8 Likes

No.

Edit: Post failed because, “Post must be at least ten characters”.

Still no.

12 Likes

what Spartan4152 said!!

and
xbox capabilities cant touch PC’s

8 Likes

Same for me I think consoles are good for games but I stick to PC for sims

4 Likes

I would never buy or switch to a PC so I can entirely understand those on PC never switching to Xbox.
For me it’s MSFS on Xbox or nothing.

That said, some might switch for comfort (if they already have a console)
Some Xbox gamers might switch to PC having discovered MSFS.

Bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question
 :thinking:

6 Likes

No  

1 Like

I’m sticking to the freedom of PC’s. I’ve had consoles before, but they are too limiting for my needs, plus they have a short life span. I can buy a PC and upgrade parts over a number of years and still run what I want.

But I am glad there is choice out there.

6 Likes

another reason PC is better

when you get mad cause the sim crashes, you throw the controller into the TV. your out xbox and TV.
when sim crashes on PC, you only smash keyboard
much cheaper

14 Likes

HaHaaaaa.Thats real funny!!

1 Like

I have it on pc as you get both versions when buying from the microsoft/xbox marketplace, i played for a few hours on pc but my pc just can’t deliver an enjoyable experience. I was planning on getting an xbox anyway but i got it earlier just because if the release of the sim on xbox. I can’t afford a high end pc and will therefore not switch to pc unless i can afford one in the future. I do enjoy the freedom pc provides but the xbox gives me stability.

2 Likes

I think the situation with the Addons will change over time. When the Addon Developers will see that there is an additional reliable revenue stream in the Xbox community then they will jump also on that train.

2 Likes

Why switch when you can use both? :grin:

I will do some bush trips and / or fly with GA aircrafts on the xBox. But Airliners I will only do on the PC. Flying Airliners on the xBox might work, but my couch is too far away so I can’t see the glass cockpit well enough + I want to be flexible in terms of addons (FBW developers branch).

2 Likes

No, I don’t think so. Reason being: Add-ons and expandability. Some complex aircraft may not run on the xbox, same as Navigraph stuff, little navmap, EFB etc
On top of that, the PC version offers more detailed customization.

2 Likes

I will never (NEVER) use or buy a Xbox.
I do use a PC, because i will have great visuals, what else. (At work i use Excel)

1 Like

I think many PC users will end up using both. The comfort of the Xbox with the flexibility of the PC. I no longer game on PC, but when I did I spent more time with overclocking and config file changes than I did playing.

5 Likes