Will many Simmers switch to Xbox in the long term?

If one is already a sim enthusiast who takes their simming with all the bells and whistles seriously, I don’t see them making the switch to Xbox. I can see more casual simmers who don’t have a suitable PC nor the ability to afford one going this route. As long as they’re aware of and willing to remain within the limitations of a vanilla sim experience, then it’s not a bad choice.

I can also see someone who’s a PC simmer kicking back on their couch and doing some fun flying on their giant TV with an Xbox. Nothing wrong with that. Again, such a person will realize the limitations and not care, because this is just fun “gamey” flying vs doing more serious simulation.

Anyone who buys an Xbox specifically for MSFS expecting to be able to do everything you can on PC will be sorely disappointed. That realization you’re stuck in the walled garden Xbox ecosystem without the ability to use external / 3rd party tools would be a deal breaker for many.

For the opposite scenario, If an Xbox user really gets bitten by the flight sim bug vs just casual flying, I can see them very quickly realizing how locked in they are with Xbox and the basic, vanilla sim experience. All the wonderful tools that simmers use from flight planners, external mapping apps, external hardware, VATSIM or other ATC networks, etc require SimConnect, which is unavailable on Xbox and quite likely won’t be due to the Xbox security limitations. I can see those folks making the switch to PC in order to expand the realm of what’s possible for them to do with their simming experience.

8 Likes