Win 11 Update causing stutters?

Just found this fault Holgraphic shell seems to affect DX11 the most and putting to DX12 smooth . Stopping holgraphic shell I can see no negative effect.Windows fault hopefully cured soon .

1 Like

So many dependencies. I was on SU10 (beta) and Win11 on an i9/12900K system where I would experience CTDs a number of times until it eventually becomes stable after a bunch of cycles of start MSFS, crash, restart. I was on the stable Win11 build, and just yesterday, got the “invite” to update to 22H2, which I did. Miracle of miracles… it’s 100% stable with no crashes now. DX12, HP G2 w/ OpenXR Toolkit 1.2. Nearest I can tell, the crashes I had were related to Microsoft Edge Webview, or at least it seemed that way to me. Anyhow, for now, I’m in a happy state. Performance is great, even in a large, busy airport (KBOS) with custom mods (FlyTampa) in the FBW A320 with the FSLTL Injector.

Just read somewhere else that out of date Intel Management Engine driver is causing issues.
I have just updated my IME driver to 2216.16.0.2805 and problem is solved!
Actually, my sim is now running smoother than before the 22H2 update.

Not for me (after latest - the frametimes are still quite scattered. I can see the stutters even in other flight sims that are much faster than MSFS.

Win 11 22H2 is running smoothly on my system, well after doing the kill HolographicShell log process mentioned in the 22H2 thread here. Also, I switch to VR at the initial menu and stay in VR. I’ve had stutters in the past if I wait until my flight is loaded in.

1 Like

Yep…this fixed it for me!

Hey guys, I’m a sim racer , but VR issues led me here, same issues , overnight massive stutters making Asseto Corsa Competizione unplayable. Went from 90fps down to stuttering 50. This fix saved me. I eventually went back to previous build, but will have to create a .bat file to run on windows startup (or something like that) to do the disable when I am eventually forced to go to 22h2. Thanks!

1 Like

One way to bring more users to the sim :wink: sneaky Microsoft :laughing:
Welcome to the Flight Sim world. You can now fly yourself to the race events!

I made more research and found a lot of page talking about how it help to stop HolographicShell to get things smooth with 22H2.
What annoy me the most is I cannot find a simple word from Microsoft about this WMR problem. It sound weird they didn’t catch the problem with the 22H2 upgrade and this WMR conflict…

Does WMR users don’t have a forum or a way to make MSFT know this issue exist?

1 Like

As far as I know, Mbucchia, the developer of OpenXR tools works for Microsoft on the OpenXR stack. He should already know about it and I am sure, they are aware. I’m annoyed too, that they did not fix it after two cumulative upgrades. Very strange. And it was reported month ago by insiders.

EDIT: todays cumulative update KB5018427 solves the issue neither. We still have to disable HolographicShell tracing manually to get satisfying results. A shame.

3 Likes

Hi, this fixed it for me, go to computer management,performance,data collector,event trace session and down the bottom is HOLOGRAPHICSHELL. Right click and stop this event. On every reboot repeat.

Only affects WMR SETS.

Great, we had this tip about 5 times in this thread.

1 Like

I think from experience most people don’t read the entire thread, the likelihood of which increases as the thread gets longer.

The next time someone asks about this I’ll copy you in. :wink:

2 Likes

After a quick test of the new Nvidia driver 522.25 and the newest windows updates KB5018427 and KB5019351 I can report that I still had the well known stutters untill I stoped the holographic shell.

5 Likes

Is this only relevant for Win11, or also 10?

So this reduces stutters and has no side effects?

Win 11 for sure. Restores pre-22H2 peformance and, as far as I can tell, has no side effects.

Hi, I cannot find this on the feedback hub, l search for that phrase but cannot see anything specific to this issue. Have you got a direct link please as I want to up vote, thanks

here we go

On thanks but that doesn’t work, all I get is “Your account doesn’t have access to this feedback”. Guess that’s why it draws a black when searching, but I can see other Feedback items :person_shrugging:t4:

Latest W11 insider dev build possibly has a fix?

“Made a change to address an issue which could lead to performance degradation when using performance monitoring tools which leveraged the Microsoft-Windows-DxgKrnl ETW provider. This also impacted performance for Windows Mixed Reality. As a reminder, if you’re experiencing performance issues, please see here for steps on filing actionable performance feedback.”