Wind / Live Weather Still Broken

Nah it wasn’t working day 1.

You mean 100%? If yes, agree, but yesterday start weather working relativelly ok with only clouds, +/- precipitations and somewhere also pressure +/-, temperature and wind not correct from day 1 in my discoverings.

I’m also having this issue. I tried adding wind layers and that solved it - however, it doesn’t correct live weather or weather downloaded from VATSIM. Is Microsoft aware of the issue NOW?

@funkbrotha10

I concur with you. I have tested this in all the major airports on my side of the world and the precise same thing is occuring.

Oddly enough, on occassions when carrying out the flight plan and clicking on Live Weather - the dep & arr airport tabs display the correct wind vector and speed. But once the sim is loaded, the winds at any altitude are 226/03 - from ground level to Cruise FL350. I do get clouds loading when appropriate - but the winds are not accurate and correct.
Hopefully Asobo & MS get onto this real soon.
Here are some recent screenshots detailing the issue:
Notice that the Airport Tabs detail the wind vector and velocity at YBBN & YSSY.
Then once in the sim, look at the ND Wind indicator. I also viewed live online wind data for YSSY and at various altitude levels along the way (enroute) and what FS2020 is indicating is completely incorrect.

6 Likes

This was known long before release that generic airports would have procedurally generated taxiways. The information on that was out there.

Agree with you about the weather though, it’s still scuffed in Australia. It’s currently the only problem I have with this sim, I can overlook the aircraft since I’ll be using addons anyway.

Concerning the “live weather” issue…
It seems to help here when I switch to “custom wx” during flight and after a short while flying changing it back to “live wx”. Don’t know if it always works, but it works for me…

Will test this now.

Navigraph has moving maps to track your airplane against the airport chart

I didn’t see where it said I was buying Beta

5 Likes

For me, the wind has been different in the 6 different airports I have flown. DuPage airport outside Chicago was 208 at 2-3 knots (as it was last night in real life), Benton Harbor Michigan was 265 at 8 knots. Airports in the Caribean had easterly winds most frequently for me. I just checked right now and most places in the US are different.
Telluride is 5 knows out of the SSW, and that matches what Weather dot com says it is right now. I can check others and expect I’ll find a lot are pretty accurate. But I wouldn’t expect the entire planet to be 100% perfect at every instance in time. Saying the “wind is broken” doesn’t help. It also probably is not. The reality here is they are pulling live weather data from various servers around the globe. There is absolutely no guarantee of perfection in that data at all times. You don’t know if the issue is Microsoft Azure, or some government server that rebooted. When it goes wonky, they likely have to resort to using a placeholder. I personally have not observed that because I’ve spent a ton of time on a bush flight in South America that uses canned/programmed conditions I believe as part of the challenge (numerous cross wind and interesting approaches).

Go to the filters (F button) on your world map and look at the wind at ground and low/high altitude. If you can put a screen cap of the entire planet showing all one color, then you can help the developers and others understand and determine how to fix. Saying “wind is broken” doesn’t help anyone.

You aren’t properly understanding. When I select a location anywhere, it does tell me what the wind should be for that location. But when I spawn in, the wind is in fact 225 at 03 knots. Without fail. Anywhere in the world except for a few places in europe. It is broken and it’s not up for debate. Many other people are having this issue.

Yes, the weather map does show various surface winds at different US airports, and when using the filters on the map to look at mid level and upper level winds, it clearly shows that the data is present.

MeteoBlue is indeed providing worldwide winds just as promised. I don’t think the problem is on their end.

When the simulated aircraft is positioned anywhere within the United States, the sim is not making use of the data that is being provided. No matter what the map shows, the wind will be 225 degrees at 3 knots once the aircraft is actually loaded and running in the sim, both on the ground and in the air.

On the ground, the wind direction does occasionally shift left and right of 225 (which appears to emulate gusts), but once airborne, the wind becomes 225 at 3 and never changes.

This is not a sporadic or occasional bug. AFAIK, It occurs 100 percent of the time for 100 percent of users. It is definitely related to geographic location (of the simulated aircraft, not the user). If you load an aircraft at an airport in the UK, Live Weather will provide both surface and upper wind almost every time.

If you load the very same aircraft at an airport in the US, Live weather will inject clouds, pressure and temperature, but not wind.

5 Likes

Okay I get what you are saying a bit better, but I just tried a flight at DesMoines… winds are southerly, and when I start up, ATIS reports winds southerly at 6 … like 158 - 164. I didn’t take off to see if I was dealing with a cross like I should on a 23 runway, but ATIS seemed to report correctly. Are you saying there is a difference from ATIS to actual? How are you seeing “actual” because the map and ATIS appear correct to me.

My experience is that surface winds are one thing, but once in the air the winds ALOFT eventaully become 225@3 without fail. (Usually within the first 1000 ft AGL). Every flight ive done so far (30+hrs with live weather) in the US this has been the case.
Whether at 8000 in the bonanza, or FL390 in the citation. GS never differs by more than 3 kts from True Airspeed which means its not simply a wind display bug either.
Try it for yourself.

It looks like the winds aloft works (at least from time to time) in Europe only. Try flying in Germany. What is causing this selectivity - idk. May be they still are not full steam with the Meteoblue agreement.

I’m not at my computer at the moment, but I believe these are the steps…

If you are flying the G-1000 Cessna, at the bottom of the screen will be a button marked “PFD”. Press that. It will bring up additional menu choices. Press the button marked “WIND”, which will give the ability to turn on the wind display. There are three format options. Chose Option 3. Then hit the button marked “BACK” (you may have to do it twice) which will take you to the original screen. You will now see a display of wind direction and speed next to the HSI

Okay I see what you are saying. For me, ground level seems okay - or rather, it’s not fixed at 225ish and 3ish. But once aloft, yes I get 225+/- and about 2-3 knots indicated up through 4400 where I settled in. I was flying in Florida, heading to Bahamas. Thanks for the tip on the Garmin. Lot for me to learn there.

I am sure they will get it fixed eventually.

Right now Im flying EDDF/LTFJ in the A320. Everything was beautiful and working well taking off from FRA, overcast 21C winds aloft 30-32 crosswind and 10-12 tailwind component, light occasional turbulence. After crossing into Hungary suddenly there!s no winds aloft just the dreaded 225/3 and no turbulence at all. The cloud layers stayed the same. Now Im at the Hungarian/Romanian border my winds aloft reads 247/26 with a 16 kn tailwind component, which seems to be more or less correct. So in Europe at least it works but flaky. Wonder if I lose winds aloft permanently as I fly eastbound. BTW I always get 225/3 everywhere in the US as well. EDIT Flying 37,000 over the middle of Romania 225/3. SIGH

1 Like

Yup, and still not even recognized as a known issue. Very concerning. At this point I believe they know the answer and are afraid of our reaction to whatever it is.

2 Likes

Makes Forum Post
Tells everyone its not up for debate

1 Like