Wind speeds in m/s

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and add-ons?

Yes

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No difference

Brief description of the issue:

When setting up manual weather, the wind speed is shown in m/s in the Weather UI. It should be in knots. I’m using Hybrid in settings.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

LOOKS fine to me – it depends on what “International” settings you choose

• US System
  • Metric
  • Hybrid

If you want Knots, select US System

US-EN (knots)
us

METRIC (m/s)
metric

HYBRID (m/s)
hybrid

However, the ARROW in the WIND Direction “gauge” is confusing.
Wind vanes, and the Gauge in the Control Tower, point to where the wind is coming from, which is the reported WIND, NOT the direction it is blowing, as depicted in the above Diagrams

Synchrotac-anemometer-with-wind-vane-Source-Mc-Van-instruments-wwwmcvancom1

Is your issue the same as an existing one reported in the weather bug forum ?: Unable to add wind layer + wrong windspeed.
Also check your international settings as commented in previous post.

1 Like

In hybrid setting wind speed should be in knots.

1 Like

Both hybrid and imperial should be in knots.

1 Like

Fair enough, then to be more precise.

When Hybrid “International setting” is selected :

• the wind speed in the weather selection settings, should be in KNOTS, and not m/s .

And yes, along with everyone else, I confirm that it is incorrectly in m/s, and NOT Knots :wink:

Question is, has it always been incorrect, or did it get broken in SU11 Beta, – and more importantly, will it be corrected in SU11 Release. ?

Have you checked the link I sent in my above post ?. It reports some issues with wind setup/conversion.
If it is the same issue then it has been there before SU11 Beta.

km/hr !!! Could be worse,

Could be Furlongs / Jiffy !!!

Getting the Units correct does seem to be a repeated error in early MSFS, and there are still areas where these early error have not been corrected.

I believe in the AP PIDS, there is also a units issue, between Degrees and Radians - in different places, the PID values seem to be out by almost exactly 180/Pie

1 Like

Bananas per minute…

Or more accurately be: the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom.

Your first mistake was turning off live weather…

Talking of Units, this seems a suitable place to ask this, as opposed to starting a new thread.

How many thing WRONG can you see here.

Yes, we are still taking about Wind speed & direction Units ?, knots - m/s , true / magnetic north.

Definitely some Asobo winds speed errors, and maybe even a PMS50 wind direction error as well ? (GNS750)

EASY ? YES !!! So why after 2 years, are they still here – ?

Hint : Correct wind in sim at the time was 180/10 ( Units Knots/ Deg magnetic ) Magvar about 10W

Then the cherry on the cake. Local Airport ATIS gives wind as 190/10

1 Like

The wind direction values entered in the manual weather menu are in TRUE headings. The wind direction displayed on FPD, G1000 etc. are/should be in magnetic headings. ATIS is reporting the correct magnetic heading.

In my opinion, it would be more logical if we could enter magnetic wind directions in the manual weather menu. Hopefully they can change that in a future update.

2 Likes

ARE or SHOULD ? thats the point – its a total mess or incorrect units.

I haven’t tested the flight plan in the sim yet (will do), but last time I checked it was a mess with all kinds of weird units that shouldn’t be there. I stopped using it because of this. It was a mix of altitude in meters, distance in km and airspeed in km/h. This can’t be that hard to fix. As far as I’m concerned, it’s been there since release. I’m using hybrid mode.

1 Like

This is by design - Hybrid mode elevation is given in Imperial units while Speed is in Metric.