Windows 10 vs 11 for MSFS

Hey everyone!

As I’m sure you’re aware, Microsoft has announced Windows 11 and it’s currently available to Windows Insiders, with Microsoft planning to start fully rolling out Windows 11 soon.

I wanted to know if you’ve experienced any performance differences between the two operating systems on MSFS, such as FPS differences and CTDs. I’m currently on Windows 11 and my performance has actually been boosted on MSFS, but I wanted to know what happened in your case. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

I have been usin windows 11 for 2 months…the sim works better o WIN 11… gaming mode works flawlessly o Win 11…no freezes or crashing to desktop so far for me

I plan to get Windows 11 after it has been out a month or so for any updates. But it should preform better I would think. I do use P3D a lot still so need to be sure that is supported as well.

Hi!

I have tried both Windows 11 and 10, and I never found that 11 gives me any big performance increase.

I am running i5-13600KF, RTX3080TI and 32GB DDR4 ram.

See this video:
Do You Really Need To Run Windows 11 On Intel CPUs?? - YouTube

Currently on Windows 10 as I prefer the “freedom” rgd my taskbar location :slight_smile:

Freddy

2 Likes

I’ll just butt in and say it’s very unlikely either OS would make any real difference in fps because that’s almost totally governed by the gpu … Differences can really only be measured in mainthread timings and your ability to handle higher lods/traffic in difficult scenery but even that is not clear cut because a having a balanced system is the real key to successful simming and one man’s meat can be another man’s poison.

I’m just happy that I won’t have to worry if direct storage gets implemented only on 11 or when support for 10 starts dwindling as is inevitable.

So old discussion but need fresh suggestions. I lost my touchscreen on win 11 and had 2 “professionals” seem to think it’s a win 11 issue (they cannot fix) . It works on my win 10 machine. It worked fine for awhile but now, no joy. It’s a usb plug and play touchscreen overlay and when I plug it into my win 10 machine, it works great sooooo they suggested I go back to win 10. I will have to download EVERYTHING which will be a pain but if that’s what it takes. Question, is win 11 “better” for MSFS or will I be just as happy going back to win 10 ??
7800X3D

Need help on this ^^^^^^^ PLEASE …

Hi @PiperPilot3604
One thing to consider is that Win10 reaches its end-of-support in October 2025, 18 months from now.
From: Windows 10 Home and Pro - Microsoft Lifecycle | Microsoft Learn:

Windows 10 will reach end of support on October 14, 2025. The current version, 22H2, will be the final version of Windows 10, and all editions will remain in support with monthly security update releases through that date.

I have not seen any official comment on how the Win 10 end of support date will affect MSFS 2020, especially w.r.t. any new features or upgrades that might depend on other services such as Xbox Gaming services, but just from this perspective, I’d not suggest going back to Windows 10.

Furthermore, I’ll speculate that MSFS 2024 will require Windows 11, as I think it unlikely that MS/AS will want to support 2024 on an OS that, at the games RTM, has only about a year left until its end-of-support date. So if you are thinking of purchasing 2024 when it comes out, you’ll need to reinstall Win11 if my speculation is correct.

What is the make & model # of your touchscreen? I see you talked about it in this post, but did not mention its name. Perhaps there are some folks in these forums with the same hardware on that could assist?

So was the touchscreen working at one point on Win 11?

yes … and the win 11 machine recognizes the "human interface usb device “. The overlay came with NO drivers, simply plug & play. I guess it is using existing drivers. It just won’t “setup” or calibrate”. I have a professional helping me (trying) and she thinks it’s a driver issue and seems very close to the problem but still no joy. Frustrating.

I highly doubt this would be the case. Doing so would put them at a large risk of losing a sizable number of sales from people not wanting to move to W11 yet. I also haven’t heard of that ever happening before where a developer arbitrarily locks a program to a specific OS, and I doubt 2024 will require some ultra specific bit of tech only available on W11. I’m on W10 and have no reservations about buying 2024 prior to W11.

1 Like

Microsoft may not want FS2024 users on Win10 due to the lack of security updates once it’s deprecated.

Not sure how they’d stop people from running FS2024 on Win10, though.

@Mooncatt3953
You bring up a good point. According to this website, dated October 2023, Win10 still holds ~71% of the market share. However, it might be that for MSFS users, that share is a lot less, as we probably upgrade our PCs somewhat more often than the market as a whole, given the CPU & GPU resource-intensive nature of the game. Who knows, perhaps there will be incentives for users who purchase MSFS 2024 to upgrade to Win11? A purchase combo with either a free upgrade to Win11 (if MS really, really want folks to upgrade), or a 25 / 50% / x% discount on Win11 if purchased as a “bundle” might also be an option for the marketing folks to consider.

I guess you could check the OS version at the beginning of the install, as I seem to recall MS did with Halo2 for the PC, which “required” Win7, but hackers soon found a way it install it on WinXP!

Aren’t most W10 users able to get a free upgrade to 11? I haven’t bothered, but I seem to recall that being the case. So that idea of a discount of some sort makes no sense. I’d also have to see evidence that this has happened before (barring the occasional compatibility issue, not to be confused with an arbitrary lockout) before I believe this to be plausible.

There was a free upgrade period back in 2021. Win10 users may still be able to upgrade for free today, but since I no longer have a win10 machine, I can’t check this out myself :slightly_smiling_face:

I think as do several knowledgeable PC repair folks, that win 11 is a PITA. MS has a habit of pushing (herding) people to the latest greatest. Maybe because it puts $$$ in their pocket ?? I’m sure it’s better in “some” areas but I’ve heard more than 1 technician say if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And the upgrades they do automatically (w/o your consent) ???
I have 2 machines running and the win 10 machine just works. Unfortunately, my new PC with the 4090 I built mainly for MSFS has win 11.