Windows 11 hurts AMD Ryzen performance even more than we thought

Wasn’t exactly research. Overclockers use Aida religiously to meter where there gains are. Usually from one bios implementation to the next. It was never going to go unnoticed.

Yeah coz he’s the font of all knowledge

1 Like

Well to be honest, I have one ryzen 7 3800x and one rx 5700 xt and didn’t noticed an huge degradation. But I have not much time to check every single aspect too. So far I think if I lost some fps probably aren’t that much because I can fly very smooth with fbw a320 with high end graphics almost without lag or stutters. Maybe something else could interfere with performance.

I have seen reports stating that AMD and Microsoft will be fixing the bug in a windows update release in about a week. Forgot the exact release date.

caching issue on AMD ryzen cpus fixed with the new build ( 22000.282 ) …

This guy has an insight into the issue for AMD Ryzen.
A bit technical but worth a watch

1 Like

It only mpacts those who “play MSI afterburner”

New build out now for Beta testers only. See here.

It’s also included on the W11 dev update. Don’t forget there’s also an AMD update still to come

No its been reported by all the leading technews sites like Linus from Technews and Jaytwo cents to name a few. The problem here is the is a big difference between saying oh yeah my sim is “sooo smooth” and actually collecting data to support that statement. I skip over the “soooo smooth” comments as its just people reinforcing their own opinions as it makes them feel better.

Do I detect a hint of jealousy? :wink:

I’ll post a video tomorrow if Youtube can manage not to introduce stutters

So the consensus seems to be it’s real, but a bug that can be fixed and a fix is indeed in the works, probably. Either way, most people don’t see any real performance loss in MSFS.

Still, as I have no real desire or need to try out Win 11, I’ll keep calm and carry on with Win 10. The devil you know, and all that. :wink:

1 Like

As I already posted earlier in this thread. I installed Windows 11 (after making sure I had a reliable disk image on my Windows 10 setup)

I have an AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU and noticed no difference in performance over Win 10.
MSFS ran the same on 11 & 10 for me. The benefit of 11 was the Auto HDR which seems to have solved the issue I had with getting HDR to work reliably.

When the Beta came out with the AMD fix I installed it and it works exactly the same as before. A minor improvement on benchmarks with the Beta but not significant enough to make any difference to MSFS or anything else I run.

As to wether it’s worth going to 11 I’d suggest not to bother, unless like me you can benefit from the Auto HDR.
I was hoping that the direct storage feature was going to be working but apparently it’s only for DX12 based apps that have that feature enabled (I might be wrong on that but it’s what I’ve gathered from reading around on the web)

Good move!~

1 Like

There are people saying that the issue returns after a while of using windows.

You will not notice it as much on MSFS. Mainly because of how slow paced the game is. I moved back to windows 10. I can really see it now. It is more obvious around places where the data rate goes up. Built up areas are where I saw it on windows 11.
For context I am on a 5950.

1 Like

I was fine on 11 up till Nvidia’s latest drivers and the W11 AMD “fix”. In chase view I can pan smoothly but when I toggle back to default view my aircraft stutters like crazy and it’s worse if it is above or below you and in heavy scenery. However I do appreciate the extra fps so am loathe to roll back anything so let’s just see what AMD can do with their own fix.

Any field reports on these patches from ADM and Windows?

It fixed the L3 cache latency issue with my 5950x. It went from about 30ns back down to 10ns. There’s still some oddities in the L3 read and write speeds, but this may be an AIDA64 issue.

Also some general improvements in terms of boosting behavior. I’m now finding my 5950x boosts up to 5 Ghz effective clock after both of these patches, right where Windows 10 used to be. Before this patch, the boost clock seemed to be limited to ~4.9 Ghz effective clock frequency. A minor bump in Cinebench R23 single-core score from ~1600 back up to ~1630 confirms a measurable change in boosting frequency, which was what I was getting on Windows 10.

Overall, seems to be a solid batch of updates.

1 Like

Great to hear, I am about to buy a Ryzen 5 5600X.

I’m looking into a 5800X - seems to be able to find better deals and/or availability on the AMD machines than Intel these days. How are the thermals on 5800X compared to 11th gen i7 with similar cooling?