Windows 11 Insider Preview Dev : Bad performance for MSFS in VR

I did something that ruined my VR performance in MSFS. Installing the Dev version of windows 11. Tried a fresh re-install of that Dev version, same issues and then re-installing regular Windows 11, everything is smooth again. My problems were when turning my head in VR, GPU and CPU usage would drop to almost 0% for a few seconds with extremely low FPS. Had to keep my head straight without moving to get semi-decent FPS.

Steam version
Empty Community folder.
Problem started as soon as upgrading my version and was fixed by doing a clean install…

Now I’m out of insider program for good lol :wink:

2 Likes

Moved to #self-service:pc-hardware as this indicates using a dev version of Windows.

1 Like

Not sure what VR headset you are using but both SteamVR and Oculus software do not support windows 11 yet.

Check out Oculus support page for example https://support.oculus.com/
Top of page in blue box:

“To ensure the best performance with RiftS or Link, please use Windows 10. Windows 11 is not yet supported with our Oculus PC software.”

1 Like

Yeah I have the same issue. Installing the latest insider preview in the hope it fixes it. I REALLY dont want to have to re-install everything, so see how this goes.

Best of luck !!! I haven’t been able to find a fix for this :frowning: but you’ll be amazed by the performance boost you’ll get from reinstalling in your case.

I’ve experienced this as well on the latest Windows Insiders builds (including 22610).

@ThomasRalph5791, it seems like this thread should be moved to Bug Reports/Virtual Reality, if possible. If there is an issue with the upcoming Windows release, the bug should be raised in visibility before it ships.

It may also be worth noting: when I’ve seen this happen, Task Manager shows a considerable drop in GPU usage. Essentially, moving my head in VR shows a stutter and there is a corresponding dropout in GPU utilization at the same time. Not sure if the GPU drop is the cause of the stutter or if there is something else happening at the same time.

1 Like

Same, with or without VR enabled, the 22H2 (22621) always lag and stuttering when running MSFS. I guess it’s caused by lower layer update of 22H2 OS architecture.
Reverted to 21H2/22000.xxx which running MSFS almost flawlessly.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 64GB RAM, RTX 3090, with all latest drivers.

1 Like

For anyone experiencing this same issue, please upvote the bug I created so that we can raise the visibility: Poor VR performance on Windows 11 22H2 - Bug Reports / Virtual Reality (VR) - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Anyone hasn’t reverted to stable Windows release and still on Windows 11 22H2 build 22xxx, please check Services list on Windows, and stop the service called “NVIDIA FrameView SDK” and please report back if the problem is gone

Hi, I did already and doesn’t work for me, no difference unfortunately.

Hi to all, just FYI, I’ve decided to roll back to the Windows 11 public release manually so I passed the last 3 days reinstalling everything and I confirm that I have no stuttering and big lags in VR anymore.

The game is smooth as it was before installing the famous Beta update on March 2022.

Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry to hear you had to go through a re-install like I did but glad you did and got rid of the problem (like I did ) I don’t know what the problem is but it’s real … hehe

1 Like

I have been using VR in MSFS for 3 years successfully with both oculus Quest 2 and desktop PC (GPU RTX 3070; Windows 11) connected wirelessly to the same router (Comcast cable, 1 Gbps service). After the modem/router connections, speeds vary between 250 mbs and 500 mbs. I get good performance until speeds drop to 300 mbs or less in the evening (probably due to heavy evening traffic among all users). Recently I tried going from the router to the PC with a direct Ethernet connection and USB C connection wired from PC to Quest 2. However, despite the PC internet speed going to 900 mbs with the direct Ethernet and wired headset connection, the performance dropped to unworkable slowness/hour-glass turning constantly. Returning to my former successful wireless connections, the same poor performance remained, making the game unplayable. What do I need to do to fix it this problem?