Windows 11 Install Thursday?

With your CPU It should work if you find the right option in Bios - for Intel you’re looking for PTT unless gigabyte have called it something else.

1 Like

It’s not in Device manager. it’s in your UEFI BIOS menu. You need to enable the TPM and use the PTT mode, not dTPM. The PTT is the mode that will enable the TPM coming from inside your Intel CPU instead of from a physical TPM module.

1 Like

No but you can check if you have successfully enabled it in device manager, that was what he was checking. Once successfully enabled you should see a TPM 2.0 device in security devices.

Ohh okay, I didn’t even know that appears there, and I’ve had them enabled for almost 3 years in my PC. Hahahah.

1 Like

Wow, that was hard to find in the bios!
I’ve gone through it… there are more than one references to secure boot… tpm…
and I found the TPP option… I enabled it.l booted up & tried tpp.msc again.
Guess what… it worked! I then tried the Win 11 compatibility tool again and yep, I’m good to go! :grinning:

Thank you so much guys!!!

Next job… I need to cancel my order with Scan LOL

Regards
Steve

1 Like

I think that TPM 2.0 requirement is the misleading part of the requirement. I know I got tricked by it when my BitLocker encryption failed because it can’t detect the TPM module. Which like you I ordered through my computer store. I already paid and it was processed. But as soon as I found the PTT option in the BIOS, I got my BitLocker encryption working, and I cancelled my TPM order and got my money back.

Tech news site need to be on top of this, so that consumers don’t get confused and tricked like we did that they “need” to get a discreet TPM module, while in most cases, as long as they have a fairly recent CPU, they already have a firmware based TPM integrated that just needs to be enabled and selected, so they can avoid getting an additional hardware that they don’t need.

1 Like

My mobo has a TPM connector and hardware solutions seem (at first look) more secure and harder to crack. In looking through this stuff, TPM modules for those that go that route may be mobo specific. Seen modules with various numbers of pins so something to check for those needing a module.

And &G7RTA is right - these might get in short supply especially with so much other stuff in dodgy supply. Just checking prices for my mobo hardware TPM module, there’s an unreliable supplier at $15, multiple vendors at $30, and a few up to $100.

Need to check what’s needed and what’s best I guess.

1 Like

While it’s true that Discrete TPM is more secure… But when we ask ourselves… Do we “actually” need that much of a protection? I mean, if we only heard about TPM now because of Windows 11 requirements, and we never had the firmware based TPM enabled in your BIOS in the first place, that means we were never really bothered about security that much in the first place.

Because if we were really that concerned and fully utilising the TPM function, we would already have a discrete TPM plugged in in the first place anyway.

1 Like

[Deleted discussion of general computer security but not related to TPM. I thought TPM did something different than what it does.]

TPM 2.0 is a microcontroller that stores keys, passwords, and digital certificates. It has nothing to do with preventing you from getting hacked. It only protects your data when your storage drive is stolen, and that drive is plugged in to another computer. Since your storage drive is encrypted using the encryption keys that managed by your TPM whether it is discrete or firmware based, if it is connected to another device that doesn’t have the TPM with the matching keys to decrypt it, you can’t read the data.

Similar way how BitLocker works. When you turn your PC on, the BitLocker keys that’s stored in the TPM will decrypt the drive and you can use your PC like usual. When you shut your PC down, the TPM encrypts the drive again and your storage is locked. So if your PC is on, and you got hacked, TPM can’t do anything about it, because your drive is in a decrypted state.

If you want a good protection from hackers, or malware, viruses, ransomware. It’s a good idea to invest some money to have a security software install like BitDefender for example. It installs firewalls, ransomware protection, spam, phishing attempts, everything. You are much more likely to be protected using a proper security software installed and running even without having TPM enabled, than you would have if you have TPM enabled but you don’t have any security system installed.

If I had to guess why TPM 2.0 is mandatory for Windows 11, is that they want to have BitLocker encrypt the installation drive as mandatory. It has nothing to do about getting your computer attacked. It’s about keeping the content of your drive safe from unauthorised access.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation Neo4316. I personally didn’t have a clue although I did read somewhere that it was about encryption.

Thanks again on saving me money too. I managed to cancel the module & the money was refunded :grinning:

Regards
Steve

I have installed the Insider Dev build of Windows 11.

I had to reinstall the NVidia driver for VR to work.

So far so good. Same performance in FS2020 as in W10

i guess i wait until all issues are fixed and maybe try it in a year or 2…
dont fix what aint broken.

1 Like

It says my PC doesn’t meet minimum hardware requirements and I have i7 8700k 2080 super 64GB ram and 1TB SSD. Is that really not enough?

Just a note for anyone who may want to try it early, once you enroll in the Dev Channel you’ll likely have to do a clean re-install of Windows if you ever want to leave it. With the Beta or Release Preview channels you can switch or unenroll as needed without a complete re-install.

I’m very tempted to try it but think I’ll wait for it to hit the Beta release.

You need to enable PTT or Intel Trusted Platform Technology in your BIOS. And make sure you’re booting on UEFI mode with SecureBoot enabled.

1 Like

For AMD, by the way, it is “AMD CPU fTPM” set to “Enabled”, to activate the TPM module in the CPU. And of course boot in UEFI mode with SecureBoot enabled. The boot drive must be GPT partitioned. Those who still use MBR can do this conveniently with “MBR2GPT” in the command prompt.

But I will wait until '22 with Win11, even if my computer is ready.

1 Like

I went for it and installed the insider version of Win 11. So far all of my apps work: Premier Pro, After Effects, Photo Shop, Cakewalk, MS Office and last but far from least…MSFS2020!!!
I haven’t noticed any change in performance for better or worse.

This has only been my experience and am not suggesting you try it…

I defintley agree with everybody here, I would refrain from installing the new version of Windows becuase we do not know how well the sim will play with a new OS nor if it will be optimized for it at all yet. Just remember the release on Thursday is a pre release build menaing it is not the final verion. If I were you, I would just wait until it fully releases this fall. If you really need to use it or just have the urge to get your hands on it. Install it on another computer if you have one, other than that, just leave it as is.

If you do go ahead and experience problems with it, it will be on your end.

1 Like

I’ll wait for the RTM build. I’m going to install it on Day 1 of course. But only on RTM build.

1 Like