Windows 11 Install Thursday?

An interesting note is that the newest Nvidia driver specifically mentioned adding support for windows 11…

I imagine perhaps it may be available on insider preview fairly soon given Nvidia is adding explicit support already in their consumer facing driver set.

It will likely be made available through the regular insider and MSDN / VisualStudio.Net dev channels shortly after the official announcement. We always get it in those channels before public release. It gives system integrators, network admins, developers, etc a lead to get stuff ready for when the OS is finally released to the public. And of course, drivers are required. Not much sense releasing it to developers to make their games Win 11 compatible if they can’t get a compatible GPU driver…

Yes, I know - hence why I said it was suggestive that it “may be available on insider preview fairly soon”.

1 Like

Yup. I was just adding more info to reinforce your point.

1 Like

I never said it was being released Thursday, “if” being my disclaimer. My real point was my frustration with still only able to use AMD’s driver from Oct 1, 2020 because any driver after that causes ctd’s on my rt5700xt. AMD says not their problem so I was meaning to say maybe Win 11 will finally resolve this problem. I thought that “if” would indicate I’m not sure if Thursday is the day but hope “if” it is I’m willing to try it right away to fix my card.

Mr. Moderator, please feel free to close or delete this topic. Next time I’ll be more careful…

I will wait till about post # 150000 of frustrated gamers before even considering it.

1 Like

Lol!!! I hope there’s a couple less than that…:blush:

Just keep in mind, you can make any OS look like any other OS as skins. The real magic and what matters also is what’s behind the covers. So far it seems like early tests show Windows 11 is lighter on resources and actually having better performance marks all around. The truth still remains to be seen after we learn more and get our own launch versions.

well the one thing we know for sure is that it’ll all go smoothly -

2 Likes

they are not releasing it on thursday the 24th June. They have never released a product on a market launch

Are you happy they’re showing MSFS in the new M$ W11 spot? Introducing Windows 11 - YouTube

If Windows 11 or the Xbox version can match the amazing loading times of other games on Series X… that will be HUGE.

I just bought a Series X last week, and I can’t believe how fast it is to load games, and levels within games. It’s literally a gamechanger - if you have 30-45 min to game, you don’t have to spend 5-7 min of that staring at a load screen like you did on the Xbox One

It will be interesting to see how they implement DirectStorage on Windows

2 Likes

Now that Windows 11 is officially announced. I can’t wait to grab a copy of the installer on day 1 and clean install my PC with it.

Honestly I think MS missed the boat on marketing here. Instead of going back on “Windows 10 will be the last version of windows” and releasing Windows 11 so they can say to Apple, “Look ours goes to 11 to.” They should have doubled down and called it simply Microsoft Windows. That way they could market it as “we have evolved beyond version numbers” or something like that.

Either way Windows 11 does seem like its a fork of the Windows 10 code base (not sure at what point or what changes are getting merged back into both versions) as MS plans to support Windows 10 until 2025. See the FAQ at the below link:

Until Windows 11 is proven to have equal or better performance over Windows 10 for MSFS. I don’t see myself upgrading my MSFS/Gaming install any time soon after its release.

I’m specifically using the dev channel of Windows 10 for my other install because it supports nested virtualization for AMD processors running under Hyper-V. If this feature is included in Windows 11 before Windows 10 I may be temped to switch.

I’m reminded of a line from my favorite film, Lawrence of Arabia:

Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage, and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution.

1 Like

There is another factor to consider before we all jump in & download Windows 11… does your computer have a TPM module?

I personally had never heard of TPM modules until last night, but for a computer to run Win 11 it must have one.

My motherboard supports one but the slot is currently empty…
(see “SPI_TPM” )

You can check yours easily by opening the run command ( Windows key + R ) and typing tpm.msc

I have ordered a module for mine… currently on back order.
I expect they will be in short supply & the prices will go up during the next few months.

Regards
Steve

You don’t “need” a discrete TPM module. You just need a TPM 2.0 supported hardware for Windows 11. I just checked my Windows 11 compatibility tool, and it passed. And I don’t have a discrete TPM module installed.

Generally, if you have a fairly recent CPU, 8th Gen Intel or later or a equivalent AMD CPU. It generally has a TPM 2.0 supported feature in the form of Intel Trusted Platform Module or AMD fTPM (firmware level). This is built into the CPU itself. All you need is enable it in the UEFI, and Bob’s your uncle, it’s enabled and it’s good for Windows 11.

1 Like

Right… thanks.
Mine failed though & when I tried tpm.msc it said no tpm found.
I enabled secure boot in the bios & also tpm… but underneath that it said “no security device found” (or something like that) so I’m guessing I still need a module. I have an i9-10900k and a gigabyte Z490 Vision-G motherboard

I’ve actually “preordered” a module with Scan, although they don’t have an ETA yet. Not that there’s any rush of course.

Regards
Steve

Did you specifically enabled the PTT option? They go by different names with different platforms.

Mine initially failed the check and then I went into bios and enabled fTPM (AMD cpu) then it passed.

If you go into device manager and then security devices I guess you aren’t seeing anything referring to TPM 2.0?

1 Like

Usually you can pick between dTPM (discrete TPM which requires the physical TPM module installed) or the PTT (which uses the CPU software TPM instead). You need to pick the PTT mode for Intel, or fTPM for AMD.

1 Like

It’s an i9-10900k

In device manager… I can’t even see security devices. Certainly nothing about TPM

Regards
Steve