Windows 11 Upgrade

Sorry, I should have said. It’s like for like only, mbr to mbr and gpt to gpt, there is no workaround except a fresh install. Your data including the Community and Official folders need to be backed up to another drive beforehand and all drivers and apps will need reinstalling after but I find that’s never a bad thing anyway, it keeps me current…

1 Like

My pc has been told it cant run win 11, not that it. Matters, since sep21 i cant get past load screen, iv gone back to X plane but even they have buggered up Zibos mod, B737-800
The only plane made playing X plane playable. Im really screwed.

Another problem with that is your motherboard is too old.
Modern motherboards don’t need any of that old school techniques.
I use to love that faffing about.
The up to date boards do pretty much all of that for you.
Though I had to enable that tmp 2.0 or whatever it is :joy::joy::joy:

Well, there are 3rd party programs from the likes of EASUS and Paragon that purport to perform MBR to GPR conversions without data loss as well as one from within Windows itself: MBR2GPT - Windows Deployment | Microsoft Docs, so in theory it ought to be possible - and the latter did seem to want to work, it just was never successful in my case

Why not just back up all your important files to an external storage, reformat your entire drive, and copy the files back.

Or just upload them to OneDrive or any cloud storage and you can resync it back.

2 Likes

Keep up with advice like that and you will become a ‘Pilot’ in no time.
:grin: :wink:

I had to convert my disk to GPT before installing.

If you boot in Recovery mode and then select Advanced/Command line prompt, you can run MBR2GPT using the /validate option to check that conversion is possible (basically, you need to have a max of 3 partitions on your disk). If the validation phase succeeded, run MBR2GPT again with the /convert option.

It takes only few seconds to do its magic. Then, you reboot after making sure your BIOS is set to “Secure Boot” (UEFI). Et voilà, worked like a charm (for me at least).

Make sure you have a backup of your important stuff - just in case.

Most people haven’t learned this it seems. Of all the millions if not billions of computers in general use, no two will behave in exactly the same manner.

Sadly it didn’t work for me. Initially it refused to even validate, which seemed to be the fact that I had two partitioned drives (C:\ & G:\ for MSFS) on my SSD, but even after I backed-up and removed the second partition it validated but just kept failing - I’ve forgotten the fail code etc TBH.
There’s probably some way to clone just the OS partition onto a prebuilt GPT drive and then use BCDBoot to sort but W11 just doesn’t hold any real temptation for me, yet.

My PC is suggesting I should upgrade also…But in staying well away from windows 11 for a least a year

If its not broke dont fix it

Spoiler alert, you don’t need to empty the drive to convert from MBR to GPT. There are a few programs that convert your drive without any data loss :)) I used one myself and it was easy and quick
AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition
EaseUS Partition Master :wink:

2 Likes

Anyone remember Partition Magic? Ah, memories…

2 Likes

Yep, I guess I’m outdated on that one, I knew of the Microsoft hack but always thought it for fresh installs only.

I used it a lot but don’t remember it converting to gpt, not on the fly anyway

I moved to Windows 11 when it first came out for insiders (late June 2021) and MSFS runs just fine on it for me.

2 Likes

Just read today that the Ryzen CPU’s are having difficulty with Win 11 in that there may be a decrease in performance attributed to the way Windows 11 handles the L3 cache. Apparently the bug causes an increased latency up to 3 times, thus reducing the performance up to 15%.

A second slow down “Bug” relates to the “preferred core” feature of the Ryzen CPU but is most prevelant in CPU’s with more than 8 cores. Happy I only have 6 cores to worry about…ha

Happy I’m running Intel. :slight_smile:

They’ll fix it, I’m sure.

1 Like

3800X here and yeah I mentioned it above so I should get a small boost when they update (unless exactly 8 cores isn’t included) … not that I’ve even seen any drop in performance since I switched, all I’ve actually noticed is less stress on my gpu and a smoother experience.

1 Like

I took part in the insider group and have used Win 11 allong with MSFS for awhile now with no issues at all.

2 Likes

Sorry for beeing so offtopic, but how do I open a new topic here in this forum? This question might be strange but not in edge ore in Firefox I find a button do do so in any of the subcategories or anyweher else. can please someone help me out. Where is the button for create a new topic?