Windows 11 Upgrade

I upgraded to Win 11 two days ago, tested with MSFS and everything seems fine until now.

The upgrade progress was relatively quick, I don’t have a feeling of radical changes like when I jumped to Win 10 from Win 7 many years ago. The upgrading was then like 3 hours and it changed nearly everything on my PC except my data, many apps and programs compatible with Win 7 no longer run with Win 10 and it took for a while to get used to it and re-arrange nearly everything with my things.

It is still funny enough to notice that some apps now still show Win 11 as Win 10 after two days (e.g. Nvidia Control Panel, PC Info on my Microsoft account…)

I would say crashing every 5 minutes is certainly not working great.

The test tab is still there for me in the win 11 joy.cpl , for all 4 of my controllers.
Maybe your saitek has its own software you can download for calibration?

The beauty of the PC ecosystem is no two are the same. So one persons perfect is another’s disaster. (The same can be said for the sim tbh).

I wiped my drives completely (deleted all of the partitions etc) and installed it from the USB key made using the Microsoft media creation tool for W11.
I’m not a huge fan of the aesthetics but it hasn’t had any problems. In saying that MSFS was fine for me on Windows 10 and is exactly the same on Windows 11.

So for me it’s worked out fine, and I’m back in the virtual skies.

2 Likes

Windows 11 Pro os build 22000.194

Windows 10 (21H1) is Windows 10.0 Bulid 19043
Windows 11, is Windows 10.0 Build 22000
IMO: Windows 11 = Windows 10 with a new splash of paint, not a new OS.

For my controllers the calibrate option is in the settings tab, not the test tab

Yep, I have the same settings tab.

2 Likes

Almost half way through, I’ve laughed out loud twice.

Oh noes the icons are scary DONT CHANGE!!!

This is complete boomer scardy pants trash and embarrasses me as a person in his 50s.

Also he has been completely wrong and out dated on some things.

1 Like

You are in your 50’s?!

I upgraded just because I was curious but I rolled back to Win 10 yesterday…

To me, it didn’t offer anything that would justify me having to go to the trouble of re-finding a buncha stuff just to do the exact same things.

Just another annoyance with no reward IMHO

1 Like

Here’s one thing I found that doesn’t work. If you have a doc or docx file showing in the recommended start page and you’re using anything other than MS Office as your default office app, the file simply won’t open. I also find setting default settings a pain in the butt. Lots of things you can’t pin to the taskbar such as my vfrmap.exe etc. Audio problems if you click on enhanced audio. Sometimes sound softens until you click it on and off again. Sometimes I start my PC and the volume is muted for no apparent reason. Definitely not ready for prime. I’ll go back to 10 before my 10 days are up.

I agree !
I have a test disk with Windows 11 and have experienced no trouble, however, I find nothing of real value except a bit of beauty and a better organization. As far as functionality, Nope… just not enough there to justify moving to Win11 right now. Who knows, Win 11 may end up being that stepping stone to the real thing: Windows 12.

1 Like

Well I’ve had problems with WMR (Whatever I try it simply refuses to install it - rendering my G2 as a very expensive paperweight) and I really cant get used to not using a mouse right click in open windows. If I try right clicking on a file or folder (in an open window) there is a pause of several seconds then a plain black screen appears then the desktop re-appears but the open window has gone. I get similar results when right clicking an empty space on the desktop. Also, a couple of programmes refuse to run - Train Simulator for instance keeps insisting that I sign in to steam first, but Steam is open and I am signed in. Re-installing doesn’t help. So I guess that some people are lucky (and happy!) and many are not. I’ve had enough trying to make it work and I have now rolled back to Windows 10.

Had the same problem last night. I wiped my 2nd drive (which was an Win11 upgraded cloned copy of my Win10 install) and installed fresh W11 from the ISO. No matter what I tried, I could not get WMR to install. Kept telling me to check for updates.

It wasn’t until I joined the PC to the insider preview and started downloading the Dev release, that it actually downloaded a new Holo driver. WMR was working after the upgrade to the latest dev build.

Haven’t installed MSFS yet on the new W11 drive… job for tonight

I tried it for 5 days and went back to 10. I personally don’t like it and think 10 is way better. It seems to a bit a bit sluggish. I could tell this going back to 10. I think MS really messed up on even doing an 11 version. It’s not needed. I bet 75% of the people that try it go back. I think in the end MS will end up ditching it after they get so many complaints and see the number of people that go back to 10. Just my opinion.

I think when it will be a little more mature it will be really pleasant, the interface attract me, and what I see so far (E.g. from YT) seems good even if it still have some caveats. The fact you’ll be able later to execute directly your Android Apps is a good point IMO.
From October 5 I have the displayed text saying my PC is Win11 ready, but it don’t propose me yet to install it and I don’t want to force the installation (E.g. through a created USB stick or other methods).

I’ll wait patiently.
Obviously I’ll first clone my Win10 128GB SSD before proceeding. All other data and stuffs are on various other drives so they are safe.

AMD users may take a performance hit of up-to fifteen percent. This is well documented, search external forums. I am going to wait until Microsoft offer the update via Windows update. I am not sure if the AMD issue is addressed in this thread, there is too much for me to read at this time. I apologise if this has already been commented on.

Charles.