Windows 11 Upgrade

Same here. Upgrading to Win 11 actually resolved my RT 5700 XT driver timeout ctd issues I had been suffering for months.

I also use Win 11 with several Adobe products: Photoshop, Premier Pro and After Effects with no problem at all so far. I updated from Win 10 and did not do a clean install of Win 11.

7 Likes

Absolute rubbish. Iā€™m running Window 11 Pro and it works very well. MSFS2020 works perfectly and worked well for me with Windows 10 Pro as well. Your system is not up to it I suppose that is why you are knocking or bad mouthing Windows 11.

16 Likes

There is no need to upgrade. I tried it out a month or so ago and was not impressed. Tbh, there was no need for Win 11. Just a marketing gimmick. Different things in different places. Ooh ahh wow.!!

7 Likes

I just upgraded to Win11 and the first thing I did was to take MSFS for a spin. Iā€™d say performance is about the same as on Win10, but I think maybe I got a more stable FPS slightly higher than average on Win10. I did get a crash to desktop after ALT-TABing a couple of times, but this could happen occasionally on Win10 as well.

(That being said, if you want to be safe I recommend staying with Win10 for a while longer. Except for a few visual improvements, I canā€™t say Iā€™ve seen any other compelling reasons to upgrade)

3 Likes

Next time you have this issue:

• Reinstall Chipset drivers
  • Restart
  • Reinstall Graphics drivers
  • Restart
3 Likes

Well, there are a few more changes than just cosmetics.
Have a look here:
Windows 11 new features and changes ā€¢ Pureinfotech

3 Likes

As always unless there is a well documented significant improvement in some application that I use iā€™ll wait at a minimum until the first major update.

The only time I ran RTM Windows OS on my primary computer was when Windows 2000 came out.

I doubt ill skip Windows 11 like I did with Vista and 8. But I will wait at least until the 22H1 (assuming they use Win10 update names) is out.

Also FYI if your on Windows Pro or above you can still use the local group policy editor to defer major updates.

hi i wonder if you can help me i noticed your prob with time out i am a flight simmer with msfs 2020 in vr but from a few days ago when i try to load it into my vr headset it sticks and says multiplayer timed out if i minimise it headset returns i am of 80 and have trouble understanding such probs just thought i would ask you thank you

W11 for about month now. Only issues printer stops working after a few days properly, wonā€™t print entire document, wont print at all. Delete, reinstall and everything is fine.
X-Box - Under W11 all the apps in store need to be updated for XB. Once done, then it works fine.
Massive new pre-release last evening. So far fine. Have not tried game. Store ran bunch of updates again, seems to be stable for me. Believe we have troll in this thread.
If you system DOES NOT MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS do not try to upgrade to W11. You will possibly hose up whole thing. CHECK first. Backup important files SECOND, after CHECKING to see if your PC will run it.
You have been advised.

3 Likes

Canā€™t get access to my Bios so wonā€™t get Windows 11!

You say that but they donā€™t overwrite your W10 install and I know for a fact a failed W11 install will revert you back to 10 albeit minus some but not all of your previously downloaded apps and I think your MSFS install (at least for the Store version) should be safe.

also been on 11 for months and have exactly zero problems, with anything.

7 Likes

Unless you are on a restricted work network or something if you are on a UEFI system there is a way to enter bios through the repair options in task manager.

There is actually quite a bit different besides looks, mainly support for a ton of new things coming soon, including a new process scheduler for upcoming Alder Lake CPUs, memory optimizations everywhereā€¦ and a whole lot of other things. Not a gimmick, also itā€™s free so what the would be the point of that? Also a big update that is coming soon is support for native Android apps. Which means you can play Android games on your pc, or use any apps from the play store, which will now be integrated with the Microsoft store on Windows.

3 Likes

I am not actually on a restricted network. I tried the option to recover and reboot for UEFI but I get this black screen all the time when my system (MSI MB, 3090 FE and all ssd+Mvne drives) tries to access the bios. It either skip the Bios or when I manage to hit Del in time I am stuck with a black screen. Googled most of the solutions but no luck.

Iā€™ve been using Windows 11 since June, and Iā€™m quite happy with it. I like it, and I see myself continue using it.

As to whether or not should you upgrade to it or not. I canā€™t answer that for you. Iā€™m using my PC in my own way. But if youā€™re using your PC in your own way that is different than me, then my answer may not apply the same way to you.

2 Likes

I jave been using windows 11 since june dev version and full version since early Septemberā€¦I have no issues with FS 2020 no ctd or lagging it works much better than Windows 10 in my opinionā€¦Im not going backā€¦ itā€™s much better on the sim

3 Likes

you could clear CMOS by jumper or button depending on you mainboard (or remove battery) but the problem with that is any settings will be lost. The other way, also a bit drastic is shut down, unplug your monitor, restart and once the HDD case lights have stopped flashing turn off power via the rear switch, repeat this procedure three times before plugging your monitor back in, then fire it up and it should bring up bios automatically.

I just thought Iā€™d mention, Fastboot must not be enabled in your power settings or bios and with your PC there shouldnā€™t be the need anyway, it can cause problems. Although Legacy USB enabled might add a couple of seconds to your boot time it can save a lot of frustration when trying to enter bios from a usb or wireless keyboard.

2 Likes

Any product from Microsoft is like wine. If you want to get quality - let it brew.

6 Likes

slower at what?

3 Likes