Windows 11 Upgrade

I agree, no problems with Win 11 - fast and stable.

FS2020 and DCS run brilliantly.

Any problems people have are down to their PC and configuration.

12 Likes

Thanks! I will give this a try. I know that sometimes wiping the CMOS can get Windows to not boot up again requiring to reinstall it. I am for now just going to ignore Win 11 unless Asobo requires it for DX12. I am sensing that they will do that to help make a case for Win 11.

Some of which may not be their fault. If you just happen to have the right combination of hardware, problems may occur. This may also be the reason why some users suffer from CTDā€™s more than others.

1 Like

Multi high end monitors cause you to miss post, happens to me as well.

I end up disconnecting all but one to catch bios or plug in an older one to my CPU video out.

Just remember anything W10 has for Direct Storage will only be a workaround but for 11 it is native ā€¦ And as you have NVme I think you are worrying over nothing, 11 is solid.

Iā€™m going to do the same as when Windows 10 was released. Iā€™ll upgrade my laptop, since it isnā€™t used for anything critical. If I had to wipe that tomorrow and start fresh, I would have no issue with that at all and nothing would be lost outside of setup time. Iā€™ll test drive Win 11 on that for 6 months or so and wait for them to patch it up and work the bugs and kinks out of it.

My desktop machine is another story. Itā€™s my gaming rig as well as the machine I use for astrophotography post processing and video editing and creation. To have that machine not work would be a huge problem for me. Until I see Win 11 as stable and reliable, itā€™s not going on this machine at all.

Once Win 11 has reached a level of stability that I deem acceptable, Iā€™ll upgrade my desktop as well. Likely with a clean install vs an upgrade.

Early adopters will definitely be the ones experiencing the problems and blazing the trail for others. Unless youā€™re comfortable with that and have the technical ability to diagnose problems, I wouldnā€™t recommend jumping on the upgrade bandwagon on Day 1.

5 Likes

Roughly translated as ā€œWait for a point release or twoā€. :wink:

And I concur.

3 Likes

DirectStorage requires 1 TB or greater NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the ā€œStandard NVM Express Controllerā€ driver and a DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU

That leaves most of us out.

Exactly. Iā€™ve been playing this game far too long (since Windows 3.1 / DOS 5) to jump on the new OS bandwagon on Day 1 and expect completely smooth operation right out of the gate. At least not on a system I consider to be critical to me.

It MAY work out, but it also may not. Until itā€™s proven to be 100% stable and reliable with all my software, hardware and drivers, Iā€™m not going there.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair enough even though MS say it is fully compatible and a simple process to roll back if needed I wouldnā€™t expect anyone to risk their lifeā€™s work or their livelihood for it

Iā€™ve not read anything about a size limit i.e. >=1TB. I have a 0.5TB OS disk, and a 1TB application disk. Both are Gen.3, and are supported but Iā€™m considering upgrading to Gen.4 over the next month or two as my Z590 board supports them. I may end up buying two 1TB 980 Proā€™s if this is true.

Where did you read the 1 TB spec? ā€¦ my 980 Pro Evo is just 500GB

Exactly. But really, when do MS ever say that their new OS isnā€™t compatible and the ā€œFastest EverĀ®ā€? lol Even if it can be clearly and objectively demonstrated as being false with most older versions of Windows.

Not saying thatā€™s the case with Win 11, as I havenā€™t used it at all yet. It may be just fine. Iā€™ve just been at this too long to believe the marketing hype, and I also know from experience that a full OS upgrade will come with various issues that arenā€™t necessarily experienced by all. Especially for users that have more niche hardware and software.

Microsoft removes mandatory >1TB storage requirement for DirectStorage NVMe SSDs (guru3d.com)

1 Like

I was just about to post this :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

All - Since called out on my post above, this is an UPGRADE to windows 10. The only way to get ā€œfresh installā€ would be to clear HDD of everything, and then get DVDā€™s for Windows 11 and then install NEW, or get imiage, or create image for install. The differences under the hood are not enough to warrant that, as the cost factor will most likley be on 100 US for it. Since MS is giving it away for free (home version) that will work in many cases. If you use the Professional level, that you may have to buy, but have not checked into it. Have not seen ā€œfirm release date on W11ā€ announced, could have missed it.

The TPM requirement has been eliminated from Required to recommended. So if that holding you back, you can go ahead, provided all other things are good.

Update: for those having issues, mine went perfect. PC about 16 months old, but at top end of hardware specs for this game when purchased. The TPM module is just not a big enough deal for me to get excited about, as was enabled from OEM when purchased. Cannot tell difference. Game runs as good as it can, sans bugs known.

I am actually wanting to upgrade to Win 11. MS has just created this road bump with these requirements. I never have to go to my bios since itā€™s impossible right now. But since the only non-compliant element in my setting requires changing one setting in my bios, I rather miss Win 11 than risk breaking my PC.

Updated to windows 11, no problems at all and Iā€™m quite happy with it. As with everything software, YMMV.

3 Likes

The early adopter side of me will upgrade the gaming pc. On the other hand i will wait months to upgrade my work desktop, until I see that there is a stable Win11, with ironed bugs, and more developed drivers.

Here is a very limited test but i can serve as a guide. The advantage in the sample is marginal to justify upgrading. In the comming days we may see more objective test that may give you a better idea of what to expect.

1 Like

Just created? ā€¦ TPMā€™s been around since 2014 :rofl: