Wing42 Boeing 247D - Yet to turn a single wheel

My first time trying to start the right hand engine and it started…YAY ! But then it cut out.

Now, over 2 dozen attempts later, over 2 days and I cannot get either of them to catch.

I have read posts, watched videos. twiddled the selectors etc off and on again to try and correct any state saving inconstancies.

But all that happens is when I click on the MESH button (after leaving the wind flywheel for several seconds after the button goes green) the prop turn once and then stops. Not even a single splutter

Full Mixture, Props forward, 10% throttle…nothing,

Fuel pressure rises with wobble pump, engine primed…nothing

Have yet to get the old bird to turn a single wheel…any ideas ?

Tried VR and non-VR

(Bravo & Alpha Controls)

1 Like

I’ve found cracking throttle a bit more than 10% nearer 15-20 nailed it for me.

1 Like

Can you mention everything you have set, just to be sure? For instance, you don’t mention on/battery switch, ignition switch, magnetos, but I’m guessing you do have those set.

Check your fuel too. I know that there is a difference between what the clipboard shows and what the in-game fuel page shows. But I guess if you are showing fuel pressure, you must have fuel in the tanks.

What about the reality checkbox? Whatever it’s called, I am not in-sim right now, but it’s on the checklist. With it unchecked, you should have no problem starting the engines. With it, you have to get everything and I mean everything perfect.

Finally, always make sure you shutdown and turn everything off after each flight (well, once you start and fly) so that state is saved as basically cold and dark.

2 Likes

Thanks for those ideas.

Yes, I have double checked the Battery switch (plunger?) and the one on the magnetos as well. I might try them in the “wrong” position just in case the logic is out of sync. (i.e off is on and visa versa)

Thanks.

I have tried it ant everything from 10% to 100% . Don’t get anything like a splutter or any indication it is trying to catch or start.

On the clipboard page 4, under Simulations Settings, try with everything unchecked.

Out of curiosity, are you priming the engines properly? The master prime valve underneath the knob should be on, and the engine priming selector should be set to engine you want to prime. Only then, us the full range of motion on the prime pull-knob available. I had same issues at first, but realized I was priming wrong.

One thing I did notice, when priming it says “Pull and release”. When I pull, it stays pulled after releasing and I have to “Push” it . Is this correct ? Maybe I am not priming it correctly ? Is there a MSFS setting I need to change ?

Even it I try it Starting on the runway with the engines running, after 5-10 seconds , they just die. No amount of playing with the throttle / mixture keeps them running.

1 Like

Yes, you must push prime knob back in. The pushing it in stroke, is what ‘pushes’ fuel into the cylinders to prime it. Think of it as a pump.

When you prime and when you use the wobble thing, you have to hold the mouse down and move it back and forth.

If it dies after 5 seconds, I would check fuel and be sure the throttle is at least 10%. If you drop the throttle to 0, it will die.

I now do the priming bit slowly. Pull out as far as possible. Then push back. I do this about 6 times.

1 Like

are you able to send screenshots of the cockpit instruments at the point you are ready to crank. We may spot something

For me it seemed to be necessary to switch the magnetos to off and then on again. Since i do that i get the engines started.

Check to make sure you don’t have a hardware switch for magnetos that is conflicting. Also, in the cockpit, make sure the central Master switch between the two magnetos is activated (pushed in),

I agree with the others that 10% throttle is too low - I have mine set to like 30%. I also prime WHILE the flywheel is spinning, not before, and hit that wobble pump until fuel pressure is past vertical, as high as it will go.

3 Likes

Yep, the original operating manual recommends throttles open at approximately 25%.

1 Like

I suspect you might have fixed my problem.

I put my controllers onto DEFAULT.

Turned off the relism and Pressed CTRL-E

Props spin for a few seconds but don’t catch

Although the magnetos were turned on in the cockpit , the magneto switch on my Alpha wasn’t so I flicked it to “Both”

Bang ! Both engines started (hot start!)…made me jump i can tell you !

I think I am going to need to clear everything down and assign them from scratch.

Thankyou all.

4 Likes

Must admit I had issues with starting for a long time. What I found:

Obv follow the manual. BUT…
Fuel and Oil are set at ZERO on loading the aircraft
Even after setting up in MSFS Weight & Balance sometimes fuel is still at Zero.
Mixture and Prop are always set to ZERO as well, on loading, for some reason.
Turing all engine failure off and realistic start off also helped.

From memory it seems to be:

• Check fuel levels first (using the clipboard) make sure you actually have fuel in the tanks.
  • Prime
  • Make sure Mix is full rich and prop is full fwd
  • Start the cranking
  • Wobble pump to build fuel pressure
  • Mesh

Obv this is a simplified list as it is from memory, which does not include mags and other “switches”.

There is also another issue I find with comms window (MSFS) to tower that seems to override anything you try to click in that window but this may not be a fault of the aircraft. I will double check this when I have the sim back open.

Now don’t misunderstand me: This is a wonderful piece of work. It is going to set the standard I think for all future aircraft. Simply marvelous.

Although I totally understand why the complexity of the startup is required, It would be nice for quick start to just have Ctrl+E fully enabled for those odd occasions when you just want to jump in.

Fantastic work though really. A beautiful craft and great design by the team.

I’m glad I’m not the only one having problems starting. Turning off realism was a fix. But, my fuel gauges always show empty. Any clues about that issue?

1 Like

Another tip from I picked up from one of the preview streamers - probably also in the manual - but DO NOT USE THE SIM WEIGHTS & BALANCE PAGE! Use the Clipboard to set your fuel and oil levels, and specify your passenger count and baggage load, then click the green MAKE IT SO button on the clipboard.

1 Like

Ooh top find