Wish I could see my gauges this well

Pity we have to strain our eyes to see the gauges.

2 Likes

The popup is 20% bigger, so that probably helps. But I see your point.
Are the displays at maximum brightness? I assume so as I think that’s the default.

1 Like

Yep. All lights on bright and I still can’t see a thing. Pity, it’s so close to being a killer sim and asobo won’t listen to anyone one on this eye adaptation thing.

2 Likes

That option can be turned off in the usercfg.opt file, I believe.

I waited in line at Best Buy for 14 hours and got a RTX 3080 ti (not my first choice, would have been happy with a vanilla RTX 3080) and paired it with my 48 inch LG C1 Oled TV and WOW! Now I have gigantic 4K HDR guages staring back at my old eyes. If you can, I highly recommend this setup and all your guage visibility issues will be resolved.
Cheers!

3 Likes

That helps but doesn’t completely eliminate it. Look closely. It still adapts to brightness. I’d rather my eyes do the adapting, not the software.

7 Likes

i used to drag these popup gauges to my 2nd monitor - but i’ve observed doing so renders a significant fps hit (i lose as much as 6fps). there is no fps penalty popping the msfs navigraph plugin though…

1 Like

I’m fortunate that my cockpit has me popping out glass screens to my touch screens and any gauge is from Air Manager. So I don’t have to worry about that.

In a first person shooter? Sure. Eye adaptation when going from dark interiors to bright exteriors is fine. But it’s a terrible, terrible “feature” in a flight sim.

4 Likes

looks sweet - a bit pricey though for the rpi solution… also am still in a love-hate phase with msfs so i’m in two minds sinking yet more money on it.

1 Like

This works like a charm for me. Luckily the eye adaptation doesn’t apply to popped out windows.

7 Likes

that’s one nice setup! heh those honeycombs are never in stock… and then it’ll cost a ton to import to my country. but. i. will. get one.

2 Likes

I get terrible stutters just opening a pop up. It only gets worse if I try it on a second monitor. I have to use Air Manager on a second computer for my displays.

Air Manager shouldn’t cause any stutters on the same PC. FPS drop when popping out a window is definitely an issue with the sim. Obviously if you’re running AM on another computer, you’re not popping windows out to it. I don’t see why it would case issues on the same machine.

Air Manager does not cause the problem. Just popping out any gauge causes it for my. If I didn’t have that problem, I would try AM on the same computer. But I would still use a 2nd computer anyhow for all the other hardware and moving maps.

You can’t pop out gauges, only glass instruments. Running AM with actual gauges (not glass) doesn’t require any popups, so doesn’t affect performance.

If you use Air Manager on a second computer, you can’t move popped out instruments to that computer. So why do you run it on a second computer ?

I don’t think I understand what you’re trying to say…

Gauges was the wrong word I meant the glass instruments. I know I can pop them out on a 2nd computer. But if I pop the out on the Sim computer I get bad stutters. My 1080ti just can’t handle it. So I made my own G1000 display with a lot less functions but it has what I need for flight.

I cycle through the preset views to read the gauges, kind of like scanning the instruments. It’s not ideal but I can only look in one direction anyway. It does make the game stutter due to the culling, but hopefully that will be fixed in the next update.

But it’s probably why I prefer landing in 3rd person view so I have a clear HUD with the important info instead of hard to read instruments or having to flick through stuttering views. Same on take off, can’t really read the speed and keep my eye on the center line. Rotate when the blue smudge comes by…

(I have eye adaptation turned off, it’s a combination of bad AA and lighting that makes it hard to read the instruments)

1 Like

How did you pop out the windows onto a second display ?

I use Air Manager. The small screens are touch screens. I build panels to match the planes’ instruments from the library of instruments available in Air Manager, or build my own where they aren’t. THat’s for gauges, etc.

For the G1000, Air Manager has a G1000 bezel. I pop the G1000 windows out of the sim and drag them over to resize them. All buttons , knobs, levers, etc on the touch screen can then be interacted with by touch.

1 Like

Even in Canada, it took me forever to be able to get the throttle. The yokes became pretty widely available last winter though. It was impossible to find the throttles anywhere. At least not without paying scalper prices. And I refuse to do that. I finally managed to get one at normal MSRP about 2 months ago.