Wish I could see my gauges this well

In my 20+ years simming I’ve never had a problem reading gauges. Until this sim.

On my 55" 4K monitor, I didn’t notice any change in gauge readability with SU5. Perhaps due to it being an LG TV? (55 UN7300 $375, best purchase I’ve made for MSFS)

i7-4790K/16GB/RTX2070 Super

1 Like

Well da!! I’m on a 15in gaming laptop. Even when I hook it up to my 55in Tv I have a hard time reading it unless I’m 4ft away from the TV.

2 Likes

I have 1080p non-HDR 27-inch paired with a 2070s and I have never once since launch had any issues with seeing the gauges as described here. I fly a32nx most of the time, my fav plane in the game.

2 Likes

Wow, one more “annoying” feature I never knew about was annoying. Every day you learn so much important stuff here in the forums.

Cheers, I’ll look into it.

That’s because HDR makes the cockpit darker when I had a 1080 sdr monitor my cockpit wasn’t dark but the scenery was dull looking
Swapped my 27inch for a 1440 HDR monitor , scenery looks intense but the cockpit in an FBW A320 looks dark

HDR is a gimmick imo. Seriously, I’ve never seen a movie in HDR that I thought looked better in HDR than without it. In fact I think it looks better without it. I think you really need to have expensive hardware to do it right or my 55in just isn’t expensive enough. btw my laptop and computer monitor both don’t have HDR so I don’t think that’s the issue. The cockpits are dark without HDR.

1 Like

I take your point about HDR especially monitors
You need about 1,000 nits to have a decent HDR experience, something most if not all monitors cannot deliver
TVs can but it all depends how much you want to spend

2 Likes

This is how my A32nx looks before I turn up the individual display brightnesses during C&D startup. I was flying the FBW A320 last night (current experimental branch) and it definitely didn’t look like this. Are you running the FBW or stock aircraft?

HDR can add to the experience, yet very few games and tvs do it right. You can’t add HDR after the fact like on most movies where it’s added in post processing or auto HDR which MS is all about atm. It just looks like a gimmick.

Proper HDR means the assets need to be captured in 10 or 12 bit REC.2020 and the entire graphics pipeline needs to be in that color space and bit depth. (Actually higher bit depth to prevent loss of precision during processing)

Then you need proper calibration of your display paired with the software (min, max brightness, ability to show contrasting scenes etc) to get good results. A display might have good peak brightness, but only for a very small area for a limited time. In FS2020 you usually have a very bright top half of the screen (the windows) vs a dark interior with the instruments (bottom half of the screen). FS2020 doesn’t have any calibration options for that standard use case afaik.

HDR works best for night scenes. For example in GT Sport it’s a huge difference between playing night races in HDR vs SDR. You can actually see through the dust kicked up in HDR at night and read the distance markers along the road. In SDR you’re simply blinded by the dust and the reflective distance markers are white out. You can also see the dark parts much better in HDR vs SDR.

In day time it’s just the sky that looks a bit better, which is of course the main attraction in FS2020. Yet at the cost of instrument readability. FS2020 has become too bright since SU5 during day time. Maybe it’s not overall brightness that increased but more a stretched contrast which makes the instruments in the darker cockpit harder to read next to very bright skies.

2 Likes

I’m mid 30 and had the problem too with a visual capability of 120%, means I see much more and sharper than the average human being. But I couldn’t read the FSL 320’s PFD and all above the flight directror bars. It was certainly a contrast issue too but the main problem was that I had a TV screen at 1920x1080p. Additionally you zoom out quite a lot, if you have a smaller screen this might have a similar effect as my low resolution for that large screen. So I tried a smaller screen and it was better, eventually I bought a 4k (3840x2160p) TV screen at the same size as before and this totally resolved this problem.

Unless you’re paying an absolute fortune for a top tier gaming monitor, HDR support is likely to be rather underwhelming. You just can’t get the dynamic range required with most monitors that are 250-400 nits.

That said, even on my 400 nit monitor, MSFS used to look good in HDR prior to SU5. Now it’s basically like eye cancer to have it enabled and looks better without it IMHO.

Although that eye adaptation effect is still trash and needs to go.

2 Likes

Just give me an option to turn the dang thing off.

1 Like

I had been considering getting a new monitor, for a while now in fact. I’m still using a 27" LG non-HDR 1080p monitor. All this talk of HDR got me looking, and it seems like the very best 1600 NITS panels will set you back close to £5000.

I do the same thing . All the displays are on their brightest setting here.

1000 nits is what you need for a great “consumption” grade HDR panel. Those 1600 nit panels are more for people producing and colour grading HDR content. I’m sure using such for consumption would be great too, but not £5000 great. lol

1 Like

Cries in xbox

The difference is far less pronounced for me and while the pop-out display is a bit brighter, it’s obviously not subject to the dynamic lighting in the cockpit, so I wouldn’t expect it to be the same:

Also, you don’t have the PFD brightness knob turned up all of the way - by my estimate, you’re about 2-3 notches from the highest setting:

1 Like

No it’s all the way up as far as I could turn it.