With large parts of the sim now unusable across Europe and further afield, isn't it now time we had a proper discussion about improving the offline capability of the sim across all areas?

The recent issues have highlighted how fragile this sim continues to be, even after 2 years of development. Whilst there are many good things connecting to these always online services, the disruption is big when something does go wrong (of which we have had too many since launch) - there needs to be a viable and improved alternative. Improvements to the autogen, terrain etc in offline mode need to be made so we can use that, should we want to. The current offline mode is terrible and hasn’t been improved since the FSX days.

Random server related CTDs and poor server speeds are just some of the many problems that dictate the success or failure of this simulator, since it will not function acceptably, without these online services.

I believe Asobo/MS have been actively ignoring improving the offline aspects of the simulator, as they (as well as myself) know they do not have the capacity to deliver the changes required.

1 Like

Probably not going to happen, this sim is about exploiting and or extolling the wonders of cloud gamming. If they made it so it was a good game without the cloud, then they would kill the whole point of what this game was meant to be.

8 Likes

Isn’t that what the Cache system is for? Storing that data, not just to make it smoother and “pre loaded” during online flight but available for offline usage as well?

For the most part though I agree, the constant server issues since SU5 have been far too often and really that is the area that needs to be sorted primarily.

1 Like

Nope the cache is just there to get the next chuck of data your going to need. If there are online problems the pre and rolling cache arent going to do you one bit of good.

Now the manual cache on the other hand, might help a bit if it even works correctly, but back in the way back people were complaining how messed that was and Im not sure if it would provide any relief during an issue that is going on right now.

1 Like

Why are large parts of the sim unusable across Europe? Have I missed something?

11 Likes

Yeah that’s what I thought with reference to the Manual Cache, I always found it cumbersome and couldn’t tell whether it was working correctly in the early months of the Sim, so I’ve just had all that turned off ever since.

Yeah it was the one thing where I thought I could download detailed areas and make offline sections I could play if there were net problems, but it didnt work out that way.

Another thing that was supposed to get fix, and somehow has been forgotten.

I have the same question.
Europe looks fine to me, and I fly each and every evening…

7 Likes

Are you referring to the recent problems with crash to desktops and the fix being to turn off online services?

Has there been any official recognition of this problem from Asobo?

“If they made it so it was a good game without the cloud, then they would kill the whole point of what this game was meant to be.”

I have to agree with this comment. The product Microsoft has marketed is dependend on being online to have the full experience. That is the basic premise of the product. Annoying as some of the server related issues are, although I must admit that here in Europe it is only during startup time seems to stand still sometimes while it is waiting to register with the server other than that I have not witnessed server issues myself. But changing that would surely change the whole basic design and I am not so sure that would be in our interest.

Couple of more weeks until that other Pub Beta is out, I plan on buying that, everything Ive seen of it, still makes it look better then this we shall see. The best part will be no cloud only local LOL so if I have a problem I dont have to waste hours trying to figure out is it me or is it them ;p Ill know it me , unless of course there was just an update.

I have to agree that substantial parts of Europe are low quality. Netherlands in particular, but not unusable.
It just doesnt look good, blocking and scenery squares popping up. Not pretty.

That really is down to your settings.

1 Like

BINGO!
We need answers and solutions!

no it isnt. You know nothing about my settings. I know of what I speak Sir.

Sure. Sorry for trying. :smile:

Im filing the OPs idea under “Stuff thats never going to happen”.

Its a cloud based sim and thats never going to change despite the overly dramatic nature of this post and many others like it.

I can hear the devs eyes roll every time one pops up.

Be better.

5 Likes

The premise of this sim rests of the (in fact) brilliant idea to render the whole world in a simulator via “cloud gaming”. Therein also lies its biggest weakness, apparently. Although this is probably up to interpretation and speculation. I don’t think they’ll prioritize spending time improving the offline part of the sim. I’d rather they spend the time optimizing the code to reduce the likelihood of CTDs as well as optimizing data delivery through the servers.

I was actually referring to a specific area around BRABANT flying from say Maastricht to Rotterdam. On my highend machine suddenly the scenery goes blurry and very blocky. Also FPS drops through the floor. It doesnt happen in all areas. Infact my standard test flight after updates is LELYSTAD turning right towards the bank of windmills.
No issues there. But some areas in Netherlands are weird.
I believe it has been mentioned somewhere before.