WMR OpenXR reprojection performance and question

Greetings.

First, i’d like to point out I have managed to make the game very playable on my system by using the combination of 3 elements that have had an immense influence on my performance if they might serve some use to any of you good people here.

1. 446.14 nvidia driver made the biggest difference over the latest nvidia drivers not only in MSFS but also in other VR games where i had problems (NMS, Elite dangerous, etc), now they run fluid as butter without ever needing and motion vector (MSFS being the exception).

2. The pre-rendered frames setting in nvidia control panel set to 1 also made a big impact. None of the other settings made much difference though. Using a gsynch monitor though so my vsynch and variable refresh rate is set to off of course.

3. For me personally as far as rendering goes i have by far the best result using 70% resolution in OpenXR with reprojection set to automatic and 90 or 100% (which is 1808x1808) inside game TAA resolution. My settings are mostly at “high” at that resolution with ambient occlussion and reflections set to off and clouds set to medium. Of course in large and dense areas in combination with more intense weather i have to lower the resolution down to 80% TA. and settings to medium.

My “out of the box” experience was almost unplayable at first so i would sincerely like to thank the community here for your suggestions and long testing efforts which made the game playable for some of us. Especially CptLucky8’s efforts. Thank you.

My question is: I made my “peace” with the artefacts that come with motion reprojection turned on for the sake of motion smoothness but what i can’t accept is DEPTH reprojection kicking in. Is there a way to make the openxr API to just use motion vector but force it to just never turn on depth reprojection? In normal conditions depth reprojection never kicks in for me at 1808x1808 but if i fly over a dense area it will kick in here and there and the depth reprojection really really makes things ugly beyond redemption. I am sure if it never turned on in the first place i would not be losing that much framerate in those situations and it would save me from having to lower resolution in those instances. Since my experience atm is smooth as butter i wouldn’t mind it losing a bit of that smoothness in terms of motion but i can’t accept the blur caused by depth reprojection when it buffers. Thanks for any suggestions and best of luck to everyone with this very very amazing sim.

P.S. I can’t make the experience as smooth without using reprojection, at least not without setting the resolution at something like 1440x1440 and settings to low and so i feel it’s lesser evil to accept some visual artefacts that come with motion reprojection as a trade off for much higher visual fidelity overall and completely smooth motion.

My system:

i7 9700k (oc-ed to 4800hz)
Rtx 2700 8gb (factory oc version)
32gb ram
Samsung 970pro SSD
Dell Visor WMR headset (cries for g2)

Best regards

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.