Wobbling with Radeon RX 6XXX graphics cards

I am experiencing a strange wobbling effect in VR mode.
Already in the main menu, the grid at the floor and the ceiling is very noticeably wobbling.
I’ve uploaded a video here (imgur has unfortunately reduced the quality, but I think you can still see the grid wobbling): Flight Simulator VR Wobbling (RX6800) - Album on Imgur

I have tried out several things: different graphics driver versions, changed OpenXR runtime to Steam VR or WMR, disabled / enabled Motion Reprojection, tried all combinations of graphics settings …
All those changes had zero effect on the wobbling. It has been there since some FS version dating back to February (which is when I first tried it out, none of the FS updates brought any improvement.

A friend of mine, who is using a RX6900 graphics card in combination with an Oculus VR headset has the exact same issue.

My specs:

• RX6800
  • Ryzen 5800X
  • Mainboard with X570 chipset
    . 32 Gig RAM
  • HP Reverb G2
  • Windows 10

Does anyone else have this issue? As I mentioned, a friend of mine who has different hardware but also an AMD graphics card of the 6xxx series has the exact same issue so I guess it must be a problem with AMD graphics cards.

1 Like

It’s been there from day one for me.

Before, I had a 5500 XT and the floor pattern wobbling was very aliased - very visible steps on the floor lines.

Since I updated to a 6800 XT, I noticed the lines are much smoother, but the wobbling is still there, albeit less pronounced.

If you look diagonally (45 degrees to the left or right), you’ll notice the wobbling will fully disappear.

I initially had two explanations for this:

• Some sort of “by design” effect to visualize background processing as the pattern was looking like an audio signal when looking straight down at 0 degree.
  • Some artifacts due to the projection system in VR.

It would be interesting to see if any nVidia users did notice this.

The wobbling is due to reprojection artefacts.
I tested 6900xt, nvidia 3070 both on quest2 and reverb g2.
Conclusions are as following:

Nvidia has the least wobbling.
6900xt with reverb g2 has a little more, but acceptable.
6900xt with quest2 has disturbing wobbling and also artefacts.
This is all with either oculus asw or wmr reprojection.

I believe the nvidia algorithm is a bit better when dealing with reprojection.

same expirience here with a Asus5700XT and a Samsung Odyssey+

Disable motion reprojection in OpenXR developers tools. AMD graphics card some how do not work well with MR. You should be able to get a very smooth stutter free flight without motion reprojection.

Does not change anything. Believe me, I’ve tried changing every single setting and tried SteamVR, WMR etc., the behavior stays exactly the same - a strange wobbling already in the main menu. Also no Flight Simulator or graphics driver update since April changed anything. This must be some deeper issue. In no other VR game have I seen something like this with exactly the same hardware setup.

1 Like

I started with MSFS on the 6800 XT and some months later upgraded to the RTX 3080 ti.

First, with the 3080 ti I get the wobbly effect with spacewarp on - so disable it every time. So it’s not a Radeon issue.

I didnt see the issue with the 6800 XT, but that was because when I was using the 6800 XT Oculus Link would not work if the supporting Radeon software (not the actual driver) was installed - I ended up using Virtual Desktop for the ‘link’ - but that was such a pain in the ■■■■ that when I switched to the 3080 ti I also switched to Link - I use Air Link when I can.

tried to capture it, don’t mind the blurryness, that’s like that since one update too…

3 Likes

You captured it pretty well, I’d say.

I have the same wobbliness with my Vega64 and Valve Index on Windows 11 (playing the MS Store version).
And I really hope this issue gets fixed as I have not seen it in any other VR game and it is very disturbing to me (to a point where I play 2D. And I really like the VR experience inside the cockpit otherwise).

1 Like

I actually have found a way of fixing this.
When ingame on the SteamVR settings you can disable motion smoothing. That causes the wobbling (for me).

Now when I play at 70% FS renderscale and most settings to low I get consistent 40 FPS (somehow my Index is fixed to 80 Hz). That drops, tho, when I open up Edge (or probably any Chromium-based browser). At least I can fly now as the wobbling is gone and it feels smooth enough.
For more FPS I have to upgrade my GPU.

since i don’t use steamVR but openXR, still it doesn’t help, changing the settings of renderscale or motion-projection.
ingame 100% renderscale.
(video is slightly zoomed-in)

Hmm. I was planning to buy the G2 this week for msfs. But when I read this I’m confused.
So this will be almost certain to happen with every amd setup?
I have an xfx 6800 gpu with 5800x cpu and 32gb 3600 gskill.

Your advice is to stay away from VR?

Grt

I am on 6800XT with Reverb G2. No wobbling, absolutely CTD free since the release of SU5 for xbox. With OpenXR toolkit, it’s absolutely wonderful.

1 Like

Thanks! Happy to see an amd user for who it works.

What are your settings? Did you have to do any tweaking to get it to work, or was it fine out of the box? I’m having this exact same issue, made another post about it here (and i’m going to update that to link to this) Bad warp effect with Radeon RX 6700XT - #17 by RSparkyC

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.