Wondering if you should get the FlyInside or the Cowan Simulation Bell 206?

Just dropping this YouTube comparison review I found. Note: It’s of the initial releases though.

Interesting comments in the pinned comment from a real world pilot:

Other topic. In the Cowan, I moved the Mixture lever down (now I’m not sure the 206 has mixture but I have it mapped to my heli profile, as the Cabri did have) and the copter goes crazy. Unrecoverable. Just going around in circles on the ground with one corner of one skate touching the ground then started flipping around. Moving the lever back up didn’t settle it and I could not get it to stop other than use the fuel cut off button on the dash. Even then it stopped but was then stationery still just on one corner of skate (at like 30 degrees roll and pitch) lol

1 Like

I own them both, at first the Cowan felt good but now after patch 1.02 it does not.
The FI feels like a heli should feel, thats how i know it.
After spending some more hours with the FI i feel very comfortable, just landing very smooth i did not find the right tactic yet. Also to mention it simulates VRS, you crash when you enter the Vortex Ring State and don’t do the right thing!

We have seen what Asobo/Microsoft “can” do if they change something, just remember the Longitude! It feels so much better now after they finally decided to improve the flight model!

I hope they improve the flight model for the helicopters, so the Cowan will improve as it is using the Asobo flightmodel.

4 Likes

Has anyone tried patching the FI flight model into the Cowan physical model? unless there’s something very odd then it should be manageable.

1 Like

I have both. Personally I like the fly inside Bell a bit better. As some users reprot the fly inside does take a hit on frames. I’m running a 13900k overclocked with an RTX4090 at max resolution of my Neo G9 hitting 45FPS-55FPS in NYC. With the Cowan I hit 85FPS without an issue. There is definitely some taxing on frames with the fly inside. I don’t do any VR so I wouldn’t be able to share frame rates for that.

Hi, I know I’m probably necroing this thread, but I’m curious if you ever managed to patch the cowansim with the FI’s flight model? I love the visuals and performance on the Cowan but the sounds and the flight model on the FI are stellar. I created an oil temperature update to allow for more weight without blowing the thing up, and other than that I adore the FI. I almost with that we had the best of both worlds. The hover control and authority of the cowan, and the input delay, systems, and flight dynamics of the FI, along eith the Cowan mode and visuals. I might try and learn how to properly use the SDK, and see if I ca achieve this myself. But how would you get the helimanager to recognize the Cowan instead of the FI?

I did not, because I don’t have the FI 206! ( or the Cowan one come to that, I’ve just got experience mashing up FMs ). I have the FI B47 & it’s missing basics like being pushed around by the tail rotor ( unless I haven’t updated it enough, I should check ), so I wasn’t too keen on getting another one. I have Cowan’s 500 too & that has wierdnesses apparently common to all his helis atm, so I’m not spending more there either yet…

Cowan promised to fix up the 500 post SU12, so I’d frankly just fly something else like the 145 & wait.

I do confirm as of June, i just gave it a go to try it out and on VR, i do get FPS hit, roughly eat up half my FPS, that is, on ground only. I do not flood in FPS normaly so this is even worst.

Reverb G2, Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090, usualy around 25-30 fps, with the FI Bell206 turns out around 10-11 FPS average.

I have the FlyInside B206 and only run Intel(R) Core™ i9-10900F CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81, 16GB Ram and an Nviidia 2080 Super with a G2 and can pull a constant 30FPS. A 3090 should do way better than that.

than it confirms something going on with the module if some people has issues and some does not, all i can say, it is the only addon that makes m FPS drops like this, none other modules does. so i doubpt it is my gear if other modules runs smoothly.

The custom flight model of the FI definitely causes a performance hit, and it’s going to hit your CPU not your graphics card. For me it’s not just a loss of FPS but panning around or moving rapidly you can see the stutters, which get more pronounced the more you try to move the helo around. I love the addon but the performance hit leads me to keep it shelved most of the time and I end up using the addon helos which use the native FM simply because they’re just so much more fluid.

1 Like

@phobos8287 that is what i was afraid to when i dared grabbing it. Still lovely to have in my collection, will wait til i decide to update my system so i can use it. I tried right away using realistic settings, was in for a surprise :slight_smile: but trying to gain control when you got so low FPS, felt like i was trying to maneuver an helicopter while being in the dark with a strobe light.

I have the F.I. 206. Had it for a month or so now. I just want to say that the latest update has made an improvement to the frame rate problem. It is now flyable and flys very good. However, this is a helo that an owner has made to reflect HIS expierence with a real 206b3. It will now fly right, and all systems are working as they are in real life. Study level? Maybe not. But I have been studying the real helo on the net and veryified the performance of the model. It can upset you if you do not follow procedures and burn up the engine. It is simple to operate the systems as the real one is pretty simple to operate. Once you learn the helo, its systems, flight dynamics, and procedures, it becomes an aircraft you can jump in and have flying in minutes. Very rewarding. There is also a program with this helo that you can put the helo in a learner mode and make it easier to learn with as it will help with making the dynamics less stressing. Then you can work your way up to realistic. Somewhat like Dodosim did for FSX. Well worth the money and I am very happy with it!

6 Likes

Both have good and bad things. Livery textures and cockpit 3D modeling is better in Cowasim products while flight dynamics and engine management is better in flyinside.

I like from Cowasim the huge set of better quality liveries including a variety of civilian and military versions, while flyinside covers a small set and in many cases they show clear pixelated edges on the straight lines. Cowasim also offers searchlight and extra features which are missing on flyinside case and they are nice depending on the type of livery (police or TV choppers for instance).

On the other hand I like from flyinside that it requires a precise startup that detects hot starting which forces you to monitor parameters, inject fuel and start generator at the correct step, while you can start Cowasim like there´s no tomorrow and 100% throttle will not burn the engine. This is a very important feature as engines were operated manually in those helicopters so your engine management matters. Flyinside also offers a similar feature on the Bell 47, with an excessive manifold pressure resulting in an engine total failure even during flight.

Cheers

3 Likes

What I love about the Flyinside B206 is it has different levels of difficulty easily switchable during a flight. It allows you to have fun while not really knowing what you’re doing and progress your way up from dum dum, to Magnum PI…

2 Likes