Working Title CJ4 Patch 0.3.1 Released (1.9.3 Fix)

This is fantastic! Looking forward to the updates. My favorite plane in FS and such a disappointment until now. Thank you!

Itā€™s my favorite plane to fly in real life so I canā€™t let Asobo do my boy like this. Justice prevails.

4 Likes

Canā€™t wait for 0.4.0 I love to fly this jet but the MFD screen lock ups make it very hard to fly.

I wonder if this new release is in the community folder it will fix the MFD lock ups on the other aircraft like the TBM because it does not seem to be limited to the CJ4.

Fantastic canā€™t wait , really looking forward to this, you guyā€™s are doing a great job !!

If the lockups are for the same reason as the one we found for the CJ4, then it will not be improved on other planes, unfortunately.

We have modified NDInfo.js to look up DME information for navaids, as the stock aircraft did not display DME on the PFD/MFD. Because we modified it, we have moved that file to an isolated location so our behavioral changes will not affect other planes.

In general, we try to be super cautious about unintentionally modifying other aircraft, because they do not always take well to the same sets of changes, and we want a good user experience.

-Matt

3 Likes

amazing work you are doing here, canā€™t wait for more

So excited about 0.4.0, the new features/improvements are truly amazing! Airways, Legs editing and that audio :exploding_head: Thank you for not letting our beloved CJ4 unfinished. God bless you sir!

What a team! You guys should just go ahead and design a new flight sim!

One of the things I noticed about the CJ4 is that on landing the ground effect kicks in so hard that I donā€™t find myself pulling back on the stick at all. Instead I sometimes even push the stick forward slightly in order to ā€˜break throughā€™ the cushion. If I donā€™t do that it will float a second or two and then drop down for a hard touchdown. This is while passing the threshold at Vref and going idle from that point. I have noticed the same effect at different weight and balance configsā€¦ Is this how a real CJ4 flies? With the wings and fuselage so close to the ground it does make sense, sort of. But in the few videoā€™s I watched the yoke movements didnā€™t look like what I have to achieve a ā€˜normalā€™ landingā€¦

I keep having strange issues with the autopilot. When I change the altitude pre-select the plane just dives or climbs without me touching the VS button. Very disturbing on a complex IFR flight. Iā€™m also finding the plane doesnā€™t seem to be responding to power changes as it should. When I am sinking a bit too much on final adding power does not reduce the pitch down as it should. In fact yesterday it increased it!

1 Like

Right now, ground effect in MSFS is much too high, as a number of flight model designers have discovered. Unfortunately, there are no parameters available in the flight model cfg to adjust ground effect. If you go to idle over the threshold and are hitting your V speeds, though, it will definitely come down.

Unfortunately, this is a bug in the game code right now that causes the AP to immediately start towards the selected altitude if ALT is selected and the altitude is changed, and is not in aircraft code we have access to.

Hopefully Asobo can fix that and the porpoising issue in the next patch. We have talked about implementing a fully custom AP, but that is definitely a much longer term item.

1 Like

Increasing power in a high mounted engine airplane will pitch the nose forward. Itā€™s pretty aggressive in the real CJ4, especially on a go-around.

I thought about that too. This may also contribute slightly to the flare problem (requiring elevator down rather than up for touchdown). In this video I am trimmed at Vref and let go of the stick at around 5 secs into the video while pulling back the throttle. This is what happens:

So I tried doing this while not pulling back on the throttle, but it still does that. Ground effect is definitely broken for the CJ4. More so than in any other plane.

Yes, it does feel too high. One thing you might try, as it is the real procedure in the CJ4, when you cross the threshold at 50ā€™ AGL, go power to idle. Hopefully the added sink rate from the lower speed will push through the ground effect cushion.

Power to idle is what I meant by pulling back the throttleā€¦ and then it does what you just witnessed. The only way to have a somewhat normal flare and touchdown is by pushing the yoke forward, which would slam any other plane into the groundā€¦

Edit: at 50ā€™ AGL you sayā€¦ That is a little higher than in the videoā€¦

You also seem to be flaring too much. You should only flare just enough to arrest the descent. Try starting your flare at around 20 feet and do it slower. I didnā€™t see any Vref bugs there but it changes with weight, 110 is a fast Vref speed that is normally associated if you are very heavy.

I think you misunderstand what I did in the video:

• The Vref of ~109 kts is more or less correct as I loaded to ~80% (I couldnā€™t activate the bugs somehow in this instance, maybe because Iā€™m on a WIP pre-release from Github)
  • I did not flare at all. from 5 sec into the video to the point where it stalls after the bounce there is no elevator control input. All nose-up tendency you see is because of the exaggerated ground effect and to a lesser extent the thrust vector effect. Any other plane would slam into the ground because no flare was initiatedā€¦

I think there is another issue somewhere else, perhaps with hardware or something because I have never experienced what I saw in that video. Do you also get rapid banking on takeoff sometimes?

I would say no, since the cj4 is the only aircraft I have this problem with. I will roll back to 0.3.1 and do some more digging to see if there is something going on on my sideā€¦