Working Title G1000 NXi Discussion Thread

It was Cranfield EGTC RWY21 IIRC

Used to work well as its my ‘home airfield’ but now it just sails on by :wink: RNAV works 100% though, Diamond DA62 G1000nxi, all my stuff is default apart from nxi

I just did a test flight in the C172.

World map flight planning:

Depart airborne 30-40nm South of EGTC Cranfield, IFR low level airways, approach ILS 21.
Time and weather Real Time.

Flight conducted with AP in GPS mode, VNV Off, altitudes iaw ATC instructions.

Approach and landing:

ILS auto-tuned :white_check_mark:
AP auto selected LOC1 and localiser captured :white_check_mark:
When GS diamonds appeared on PFD I selected APR mode :white_check_mark:
AP captured GS :white_check_mark:
AP followed GS to threshold :white_check_mark:
I disengaged AP at minimums and landed :white_check_mark:

Only problen encountered was during flair to touchdown. Wind was reported as 250/12, I was pushed hard to the right almost off the runway while holding full left rudder :frowning:

Nice flight apart from the MSFS excessive weather vane effect during flair which seems worse since SU9.

1 Like

Something is definitely changed with ILS approaches. It used to be 100% rock solid. Now it just sails through the GS path about 66% of the time.

1 Like

I experienced that yesterday. Was at GS altitude for KCLE ILS 6L, APPR was armed, and the ILS had auto-tuned and switched. However, it never intercepted the GS; lateral worked fine. First time I’ve experienced that with the NXi.

This is from the WT discord. They are on top of it:

3 Likes

No offence but the developer has already identified that the system can lose the GS if the aircraft experiences a sudden change in VS so there is an issue even if you are not seeing it in your flights.

1 Like

Nice, thanks,

I usually use VNAV, and i see there is now a posted bug issue regarding this area, i’ll re-test without VNAV, but at least its being worked on :slight_smile:

Quality developers on this part :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, but I did not see that before my flight, which happened to go ok.

I am surely one of the blessed :angel:

1 Like

lol, yeah possibly. I seem to get updrafts wherever I go.

I created a visual landing but am not sure the difference between straight and vectors choices. I actually used the straight option and when i loaded it was a plan that went over the airport, flew outward and then a turn back to the runway. As I approached, I activated the plan and got a completely different plan which flew me directly to the iaf. I am confused, should I choose straight or vectors and how should the autopilot react with each choice?

When you load an approach while in the air, the G1000 will insert the destination airport as an Enroute waypoint. The real G1000 does this, so the sim NXI does this too. To clean up the route shown in the MFD, you need to select this new waypoint in the FPL and CLR to delete it.

1 Like

So much for the notion that Rnav approach glide slopes work and ILS glide slopes dont In fact they are both suffering from the same issue with this new turbulence mod based on what I saw today landing at 23R at EGCC.

Personal Comments

Visual Approaches have three way points - the Initial (about 3NM from Runway Threshold) , the Final (about 1NM from Runway Threshold), and Runway Threshold itself.

Straight plots a course from where you are to the selected runway approach with the aim to put you at the Initial. This may include maneuvers such as Course Reversals (which could pass you over the destination airport) depending upon your current position.

Vectors (or Vectors To Final) aims to put you in a straightline course directly to the Final Approach Fix.

If this sounds like an Instrument Approach, it sort of is. The big differences are that the Garmin will calculate an absolute 3 degree glide path from Initial (which may mean VASI/PAPI lights at the runway won’t necessarily agree that you’re on the optimal Glide Path), and the pathing absolutely does not account for any obstacle clearance anywhere in that 3 NM path (hence the prominent Pop-Up Warning). If there is a Visual Glide Slope Inidicator in the database for the airport, the VASI/PAPI lights may agree.

Note in both cases, VNAV and GP guidance past the Final are availabe.

For example, when I select a Visual Approach with Straight and activate it, a TOD marker will appear on the Flight Path if you are above the altitude constraint for the Final Fix. VNAV works as expected like an Instrument Approach. Simply set a lower target altitude below the indicated Magenta Value next to the altimeter tape and hit VNAV. The aircraft will start descending upon reaching the TOD marker on the lateral path. It will adjust the TOD if you choose to manually climb or descend before selecting VNAV.

Just before Final Fix, hit APR and you should get a Magenta diamond just like RNAV, and it will capture and get you to Runway with vertical guidance. Disconnect at MDA, and complete landing.

4 Likes

I am not sure what approaches you were doing as there is no RNAV approach listed in the G1000NXi MFD for EGCC 23R, only for 23L. I just tried RNAV 23L with VNV turned on and it went by the book.

Runway 23R has an ILS approach so I will try that next and see how it goes. As there appears to be a known problem using VNV with ILS I will have VNV off.

The Gods are smiling upon me today :angel:

Sorry, 23L I should have said.

Maybe the problem you describe is aircraft dependent. Remind me which aircraft you are using. I am using the C172 and the only problem I have, apart from the known ILS/VNV bug, is during landing where now the aircraft goes all over the place during the flair since SU9. Before that my landings were generally ok and controllable even with moderate crosswinds.

The same 172. I guess the glide slope for ils is much the same as rnav gp so they are affected in the same way by turbulance.

It is odd that your experience is so different to mine. I just did the EGCC ILS (MCT) 23R approach without VNV and it went exactly iaw the published approach plate, no deviation on the glidepath.

I have now tested approaches at various airports using RNAV with VNV, ILS without VNV, and visual with VNV. All went perfectly.

I have not tried a VOR/NDB approach with VNV yet, I am not sure if that is supposed to be an option.

Strangely at the moment I do not seem to be experiencing the somewhat exaggerated turbulence that was apparent during my first few flights after SU9. Maybe something has been changed server side?

I think it just depends on how much turbulance occurs on approach. My flights tend to be mid afternoon which is when it tends to be at its worst.

The problem is that 23L is mostly out of use. It was closed for a couple of years and is only open at a few peak periods now. I expect it’s in the notam but I am near enough.to listen to live atis. It says SINGLE RUNWAY OPERATION in a different voice, just in case you didn’t notice.